Author Topic: First try at NYC with 1/2" Steel Plate  (Read 7882 times)

parallei

Re: First try at NYC with 1/2" Steel Plate
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 10:02:06 PM »
Nice work Tyler. :chef:  I need to try insulating the temp probe in my oven.

Offline sum1else

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »
Thanks all.

It's a bit scary putting the probe on. I really don't like doing it, but it works.

scott123

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
Tyler, a few belated observations.

First of, really nice job.  Definitely a pizza to be proud of.

I'm not a huge proponent of punch downs/re-balls for pizza, but the technique has it's fans. If you feel like you do want to incorporate a punch down, make sure you do it at least 5 hours prior to the stretch or it could make the dough difficult to work with and/or give you a tough crumb.

I know I'm never going to talk you out of using fresh mozzarella ;) but could you at least, one of these times, try a smaller thickness factor with a smaller rim?  Imo, that's where NY style really shines.

Lastly, I think the lighting is messing with your color balance.  For some reason, some of your earlier shots have much warmer reds. Is this an incandescent vs. fluorescent thing?

Really nice job.  At this point, you should be going to your favorite places and start noticing aspects of their pies that aren't as good as your own.

Offline sum1else

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
Thanks, Scott.

I didn't want to do the punch down, but I used too much yeast and was away all day, so I couldn't control the rise by refrigeration. I have used some 'regular' mozz actually, I guess I didn't photograph that pie. I've been trying a smaller rim, but I guess I just don't know how small to go. Also, what thickness factor would you like to see on my next pie?

I'm not sure how my photos changed. I always use my iphone in the same room with the same exact lights. I could have taken some photos in the kitchen, and some in the den-I'm not sure. I'll have to look into this more.

you should be going to your favorite places and start noticing aspects of their pies that aren't as good as your own.

I have been. John's was especially disappointing when I realized how bad their crust has become in the last few years (64th st location). I guess ignorance is bliss.

pizzapan