Author Topic: First Attempt: DKM Chicago Style Deep Dish  (Read 1169 times)

Offline mattvorwald

First Attempt: DKM Chicago Style Deep Dish
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
Hello All:

Just gave DKM's Chi-Style Deep Dish a whirl last night (http://pizzamaking.com/dkm_chicago.php).  It was my first ever attempt at deep dish, and I have to say, it turned out absolutely phenomenal.  I had just received my 16" PSTK pan in the mail, and had an itch.  I could not have been more pleased with the outcome.  Being from Chicago and living in SWFL is tough...  no Gino's, no Burt's, no Pequod's.  Just a bunch of coal fired joints, NY style, and Neapolitan.  I love those, but nothing compares to what I could get back in IL, including when I went to school and could frequent Papa Del's.  Thanks to everyone who maintains this forum for the wealth of information and delicious ideas. 

Matt

Offline mattvorwald

Re: First Attempt: DKM Chicago Style Deep Dish
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Also:

Used the sausage recipe from this: http://www.pizzamaking.com/deepdish.php and pre-cooked it on defrost in the microwave prior to application.  Turned out great, and tasted like authetic Chicago.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
OK, now I have to make one soon!!!
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »
 yes, you nailed it!!! going to have to try one myself.

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
Hey Matt, where did you come from?  Very nice job on the deep dish.  I know what you mean about not too many good pizza places for such in SW FL.  99% are of the NY/neapolitan variety, which is sometimes good, but not like the great Chicago styles. For great Chicago thin crust, the Aurelio's in Ft. Myers and Naples (real Chicago owners at this location) are great, so give them a try some time (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4084.msg123133.html#msg123133)

Your 16" PSTK pan borders on the maximum that many home ovens will comfortably hold on the average oven rack, believe it or not.  That is a family size deep dish pizza size not ordinarily provided at the classic Chicago style deep dish pizzerias, but if really large size pizzas are your thing, why not.

Keep up the good work and please continue to contribute to our pizzamaking efforts here.

--BTB

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
It's HUGE!

pizzapan