Author Topic: High Gluten Flour?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Pizzalovingal

High Gluten Flour?
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »
Do most people order theirs online?  Or is this something found easily in stores?  My local Wal-Mart doesn't seem to carry it.

Offline DocSpine

Re: High Gluten Flour?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »
I get some at Sam's Club, King Arthur has it online, some restaurant supply stores.
do a search in the dough area of the forum http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,42.0.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:49:37 PM by DocSpine »

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »
Are you anywhere near Cedar Falls or Mason City?

Supposedly these guys have pizza flour:

Iowa: Martin Brothers, 480 Viking Road, Cedar Falls, tel. 319-277-7641; and 711 South Federal Avenue, Mason City, tel. 641-423-2325. Web site: http://www.martinbrothersfoodmarket.com

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
I'm not sure if they have Smart and Final cash and carry where you live, but they do have High Gluten flour there.  You can also buy it at a restaurant supply depot. 

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »
Do most people order theirs online?  Or is this something found easily in stores?  My local Wal-Mart doesn't seem to carry it.
I doubt most home pizzamakers order flour online, altho I've done some with King Arthurs (and their's are great).  But KAAP and their bread flours and equivalent type flours found at many grocers are excellent, too.  I think Walmart's carries most of the KA line, at least in Florida and Michigan.  My local Italian deli, tho, sells several brands of real Italian OO flour, but I generally don't need or want it.

But I'm curious.  You're posting this in the cracker crust board, which in most people's estimation wouldn't require much more than AP or bread flour.  I like King Arthur's products, but many also like Ceresota and like equivalents.  GM's "Better for Bread" use to be great, but I forgot what name they now go under.  GFS (Gordon Food Service) and similar stores sell alot of good brands, but in larger quantities, unfortunately, and I won't buy the large bags. 

From the title of your posting here, you seemed focused on "high gluten."  If you want to use the real high gluten stuff, you may want to visit the Neapolitan or Ingredients thread.  But there you generally -- but not always -- will not get a crispy, cracker-like crust in a pizza.  So are you looking for a cracker-crust type pizza (which often isn't really or totally cracker-like) or are you looking for a pizza made with really high gluten or OO type flour?   

Keep asking the questions, however, as all of us need to be reminded that "there is no such thing as a dumb question."  I noted on another posting that you mentioned use of the "convection" feature on a home oven.  I have such, too, but rarely ever use it for pizzamaking except if I need to brown the top of the pizza a bit at the end of the baking cycle.  All convection means is "hot air" -- similar with what we get from our politicians.  It does not help IMO on baking the interior of the pizza crust or pizza itself.  Convection generally means hot blown air and I do not recommend it for general home pizzamaking.  The "pros" (who sell the stuff) may differ with me, however.

--BTB