Author Topic: Amateur Hour - Thin Style wihout Fancy Gizmos!  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Pizzalovingal

Amateur Hour - Thin Style wihout Fancy Gizmos!
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
Part 1

I just got my new cutter pan and I've been craving some thin style pizza, which is probably one of my favorite styles.

I tried the thin crust recipe listed on the main forum recipe page.  I don't have a Kitchen-Aid Blender or a Food Processor or a Scale!  Let's so how this goes....

What I have:
Cutter Pan
Docker

What I don't have:
Blender
Processor
High Gluten Flour
Scale

I really wanted to attempt this anyway so I decide to make the dough 24 hours in advance per the recipe.  I mixed the yeast, water (at the correct warmed temp) until yeast is blended.  I add the salt, water and oil and blend. I dump in my bread machine since I've dediced I'm letting the bread machine be my dough hook...will this work?  I'm not sure because I don't know what a dough hook actually does.  (These were all measured using measuring cups and tsp/tbls spoons).

I put the flour in (measured only by measuring cup) and let the dough mix.  The recipe states to let the dough get to a stiff ball.  Well......the best way to describe my dough is "shards."  Shards of dough.  After mixed 3-4 minutes I dump the shards into a bowl and squish into a ball.  The dough is VERY dry.  I wonder if my non-scale measured items are making a difference?

It's then that I notice I don't have high-gluten flour.  I bought the King Arthur Flour recommended on the recipe and on this site, but it appears my local WM only has the "low-protein" kind.  Only 4% protein when 12% is recommended. Oh great.  Nothing appears to be working at this point.  I think I've messed up way too many things.  :-\

It's now in the fridge "rising." Although I don't know how this stiff ball is going to rise, because it's so full of flour.

Amateur hour will continue and I will make sure to take pics this time!!

buceriasdon

Re: Amateur Hour - Thin Style wihout Fancy Gizmos!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
I find thin and crispies to be very forgiving and from your description your dough sounds about right for a low hydration dough. There are members here that use a bread machine for kneading and like them. I perfer my thin doughs a little wetter for ease of rolling, but I'm lazy  :P Regular all purpose flour works fine and I'm guessing that is what you have. This is a blog using 62% hydration with all purpose flour.  http://www.cookography.com/2007/thin-crust-pizza
Try different recipes and different ways of baking, sure, there will be some flops along the way, but that's part of the journey. Don't be hard on yourself, we all start out as beginners no matter what the endeavor. Welcome to the forum, we like pictures ;D
Don

Offline BTB

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »
Don's thoughts are right on.  KAAP flour (King Arthur All Purpose) is fine for thin cracker crusts, altho I have a slight preference for their bread flour (just a little higher gluten).  Either works fine and both should be tried at times to see what one prefers here.  I do not recommend the OO types and other super high gluten flours for cracker crusts.  If that's what you want to use, go to the Neapolitan thread.

I do most of my cracker crusts by hand mixing and never, ever use a bread machine.  Some do, however.  My KA food processor is the best, however, for dry cracker crust doughs.  I always use a cutter pan and the docker is handy too (but a blunt seafood fork or similar is fine, also).  I think baking by weights like most of the world is the best way to go, so plan on a scale in your future (suggest you look at the one on the King Arthur website that converts from volume -- e.g. cups -- to weight) cause with volume, one cup you do one day could easily weigh something different the next day!  And none of this should be considered "fancy gizmos."  And for small measurements, like salt and pepper or yeast, use of tsp and Tbs are fine. 

The dry dough for cracker crusts is a hard one to start off making thin crust pizza I think.  Suggest upping the hydration somewhere between 40 and 50%.  In your case, you'll have to roll out the dough long and hard and that sometimes makes the dough come out too tough as a result.  But if you don't roll it out really hard (and get tired doing so), you'll get too thick of a pizza dough.  Remember Peter's tips (recited elsewhere) to warm the dough as warm dough is much easier to roll out than cold or cool dough.  Good luck and remember its just another step in the learning process.

--BTB

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
So how did it turn out?

I actually use a bread machine for kneading all my pizza doughs, and it seems to work great but then again it's amateur hour in my kitchen too.   :-D  I actually have a food processor but i've never used it, since the breadmaker seems to work so good for me.