Author Topic: Italian sea salt and olive oils  (Read 2799 times)

Offline upper crust

Italian sea salt and olive oils
« on: July 18, 2005, 07:25:29 PM »
hello everybody since were on the topic of neapolitan pizza. I would like some suggestions on what you believe are the best Italian sea salts and olive oils, for neapolitan pizza.

thanks, Chas

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Italian sea salt and olive oils
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 07:53:02 PM »
Chas,

It's unlikely that you will get any two people to agree on what is the best olive oils or sea salts--Italian or otherwise. It all comes down to personal taste.

If you are trying to be a purist with your Neapolitan pizzas you might try an olive oil from the Naples/Campania region of Italy. However, they are not as easy to find here in the U.S. as olive oils from other regions of Italy.

Many of our members favor Sicilian sea salts, so they are worthy of consideration if you are limiting yourself to Italian sea salts.

A couple of threads you may find of interest on Campania olive oils and Sicilian sea salts are at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1290.msg11560.html#msg11560
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1531.0.html

Peter

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 11:13:21 PM »
Upper Crust:

I noticed that some of the finer pizzerias like Di Fara and Totonnos use Filippo Berio Olive Oil.  A16, which produces a Neapolitan style pizza in San Francisco, recommends Fratelli Cucchiara Primus Gentile Extra Virgin Olive Oil (now that's a mouthful).  Here's more on A16's topping recommendations: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1298.msg12887.html#msg12887 

While many wish to emulate various pizza creations with Italian Olive Oils, the more expensive ones can be a bit strong for some applications.  A16 for example will not employ olive oil as a topping for some pizza styles.  At times, I enjoy using Spanish olive oil as an alternative to Italian olive oils... It's an out-of-the-box thing that produces taste according to our buds at the moment-- something we can do at home.

Good luck! ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 11:24:27 PM by giotto »

Offline upper crust

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 12:35:45 AM »
hey guys thanks so much for your input. When I ate at Una pizza napoletana the olive oil was just amazing. So I wanted to get some idea as to which brands are perfered.

Chas

Offline upper crust

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 12:52:28 AM »
guys sorry for not being specific, just in case you did not understand. The olive oil and Sicilian sea salt I am referring to are for drizzling/sprinkling on the Neapolitan pie.

Chas

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »
I have the Uno Pizza Napoletana brochure in front of me and it says:

"An authentic Neapolitan pizza is made with extra-virgin olive imported from Southern Italy.  Never is it mixed with lesser oils or oil from other countries - only 100% Italian grown, picked, pressed and packed.  Sicilian sea salt, fresh chopped garlic, fresh cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil.  Simple, honest, pure"

Too bad he doesn't give us the brand.

Tom

Offline upper crust

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 11:23:46 AM »
hey thanks Tom. Yea I wish all the best places would list their brands. ;)

pizzapan