Author Topic: How to use the spanish chorizo  (Read 2782 times)

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

How to use the spanish chorizo
« on: July 13, 2005, 05:20:41 AM »
I managed to buy one of these today from the deli. It was hanging along with the
other salami and what not. Is it safe to eat directly? And how is it used for pizza,
directly or pre-cooked?

Looking forward to it. mmmMMM. :)

piroshok

Re: How to use the spanish chorizo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 07:40:04 AM »
If it was hanging then it has to be a semidried or dried (hard) chorizo and yes it can be eaten just as it is cut and peel enjoy

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:33:38 AM »
There's a very large mexican population here in So. Chester Co., Pa. and  the markets are full of chorizo thats hanging but it is FRESH chorizo...a spicy sausage that you wouldn't want to eat raw.  Definately needs to be cooked.  I've never seen dried hard chorizo.  THAT would be awesome on a pie.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 10:54:40 AM »
James,

I have used Portuguese chorizo as well as Mexican chorizo on pizzas. They are both different from the Spanish chorizo (see http://www.tienda.com/indepth/chorizoplus.html), but I think the Spanish type should work in a pizza environment. I know from previous postings that you have an interest in eggs on pizzas, so if you go to Reply #13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,637.0.html, you will see how I used the Portuguese chorizo with an egg on a pizza. The chorizo I used was raw, so it had to be cooked first (I didn't trust the short baking time to cook the chorizo thoroughly).

Peter
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 10:59:55 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 10:54:57 AM »
I live near a very large mexican community and am blessed with some excellent Mexican grocery stores.I reularly use the fresh spicy chorizo in my Paella .It is some of the best sausage I have tried locally,and am sure it would work well on Pizza.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

piroshok

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 08:30:20 PM »
There's a very large mexican population here in So. Chester Co., Pa. and  the markets are full of chorizo thats hanging but it is FRESH chorizo...a spicy sausage that you wouldn't want to eat raw.  Definately needs to be cooked.  I've never seen dried hard chorizo.  THAT would be awesome on a pie.

I am Spanish speaking person (well kind of born in Argentina but Russian parents) and raw chorizos which I normally make are quite distiguishable from demidried or dried ones (cured). Raw ones just look like normal sausages no more no less. The dried or semidried look like salamis and it may have a white powdery appearance on the skin surface.
Hope that clarify things for you

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 04:57:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I cut mine up and it's definitely cured. It simply "looked" edible. And so I ate. And I liked. :D

Will post some Pizza results once my second Raquel attempt rises.