Author Topic: What are your opinions on this oven?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Jordan

• The day I stop learning is the day I stop living..
    • My Facebook
What are your opinions on this oven?
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:51:24 AM »
I am very interested in getting a wood fire oven, and I have looked into the forno bravo primavera and the forno clasico piccolo but recently I found this which looks interesting and is somewhat cheap! How do you feel about it? Has anyone used this before? Thanks for the help!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Portuguese-Wood-Fired-Brick-Pizza-Oven-PIZZA-PEEL-KIT-/110804149509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cc712505#ht_2628wt_1156

Heres the link to how they make the oven

http://stores.ebay.com/Grillsn-Ovens/Making-the-Ovens.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:53:34 AM by Jordan »
-Jordan

buceriasdon

Re: What are your opinions on this oven?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
Jordan, the description of the building process to me is quite confusing. In the text they say the oven has no chimney yet the pictures clearly show a chimney. How exactly the chimney joins at the front is unclear from the photos. I assume there must be a vent hole in front facing at the top. Others have inquired about these ovens in the past but to my recollection I don't recall anyone reviewing the oven and posting here if they did purchace one. The you tube vids of the oven didn't inspire me either but that could be lack of fire manangement by the user.
Don

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
One thing I notice is that the floor tiles are not placed at an angle to the door. Parallel to the door as they appear, I think is generally considered a no-no in WFO design (for pizza anyway) as they will want to snag your peel.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
Craig:  Oddly enough, the FGM ovens like mine actually do have the floor tiles placed parallel to the door.  As you know, I opted to use different tiles and go with an angled herringbone pattern, but the floor that comes with the FGM ovens is installed parallel.  I've talked to a couple people with these ovens, and they seem surprised when I ask if the peel snags on the floor, so maybe it isn't an issue.  Now that I think about it, the Cirigliano Forni ovens that we almost bought also have the floor tiles parallel.  So I guess it just depends on the design...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »
Jordan,
For the money I don't see how you can go wrong. Porugese oven  is Similar to our Member Matthew who has moved on to opening and operating a beautiful neapolitan ristorante. The company is  here in Jersey.  I asked to visit and look at quality, and was told they are in crates and hard to see. Come up for some neapolitan and go have a look I am still willing to look at them  if you want. I really like the other offering they have in the precast ovens made in canada also  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Wood-Fired-Pizza-Oven-Kit-Indoor-Outdoor-Volta-40-/120838893920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c228f3160
You are looking for only portable, or can you build one of these not that hard as a kit.
The forno P60 is a great little oven( little too little for me)  and member Dellavechia certainly puts out some of the nicest pies on the forum from his Forno P70 .
I like the forno classico also, but depends if you need full on ready to cook or you have time and space to create what you want.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Doughdough

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:00:24 AM »
Covered in cork?
What happens after the cork burns off, is there then no insulation?