Author Topic: Used Real Rizzo’s Dough Ball to make a NY style pizza  (Read 929 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Used Real Rizzo’s Dough Ball to make a NY style pizza
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:17:52 AM »
I had posted about my trip to NY and tasting a Rizzo’s square slice of pizza at Reply 19 second picture down http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161681.html#msg161681 and had bought two dough balls at Rizzo, Astoria, Queen NY, when I visited Rizzo’s, and had posted about them at Reply 21 second pizza down http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161683.html#msg161683  Last week I had tried one of Rizzo’s dough balls that I had frozen made in a steel pan that I posted about at Reply 88  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg162490.html#msg162490       

This week I decided to use the last frozen Rizzo’s dough ball to make a NY style pizza without a pan.  I left the dough ball defrosted at market for one day.  The dough felt drier than my NY style doughs, but was very easy to open.  I never felt a dough the same as a Rizzo’s dough ball.  It makes me wonder just how low the hydration was of this dough ball.  The dough ball was stretched to 18” and then made into a pizza.  I was surprised that although the rim wasn’t as high as my normal NY style doughs I use, that there was an open crumb structure. 

I have no idea on how Rizzo’s makes their dough balls, but they didn’t feel like any oil was in the dough, but I could be wrong about that.  The crust did brown and I think this might have been the thinnest NY style pizza I made so far.  I also wonder what kind of flour Rizzo’s uses and what other percents for other ingredients they use in their dough balls.

The dressings for Rizzo’s NY style pizza were my blend of skim milk mozzarella and whole milk mozzarella, my regular sauce, and onions that I caramelized. 

The dough ball in the first picture looks oily on the top of the dough ball, but that was from me oiling the dough ball a day after I froze it.  I didn’t want it to dry out.

What a different NY style pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Used Real Rizzo’s Dough Ball to make a NY style pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 09:30:35 AM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »
This week I decided to use the last frozen Rizzo’s dough ball to make a NY style pizza without a pan.  I left the dough ball defrosted at market for one day.  The dough felt drier than my NY style doughs, but was very easy to open.  I never felt a dough the same as a Rizzo’s dough ball.  It makes me wonder just how low the hydration was of this dough ball.  The dough ball was stretched to 18” and then made into a pizza.  I was surprised that although the rim wasn’t as high as my normal NY style doughs I use, that there was an open crumb structure. 

I have no idea on how Rizzo’s makes their dough balls, but they didn’t feel like any oil was in the dough, but I could be wrong about that.  The crust did brown and I think this might have been the thinnest NY style pizza I made so far.  I also wonder what kind of flour Rizzo’s uses and what other percents for other ingredients they use in their dough balls.

Norma,

The next time you are in NYC, you might want to round up some of your Occupier friends and set up, with tents and all, outside of Rizzo's until he spills all the secrets of his dough, including the dough formulation (and tell him you want it in baker's percent format).

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »
Norma,

The next time you are in NYC, you might want to round up some of your Occupier friends and set up, with tents and all, outside of Rizzo's until he spills all the secrets of his dough, including the dough formulation (and tell him you want it in baker's percent format).

Peter

Peter,

Lol, about rounding up some of my Occupier friends and setting up tents and all outside of Rizzo’s until he spills all the secrets of his dough, including the formulation in baker’s percent format.  :-D You can’t say I didn’t try already.  I did email Rizzo’s last week with the pictures of the one pizza I made out of the first dough ball and asked if they could give me any hints on their dough.  I didn’t get any reply, but will email my attempt this week with their dough ball.  Don’t really think I will get any answers though.  I guess it is back to my “Hippy Days” sometimes.  8) I can’t understand how a dough ball that felt so dry still gave a open crumb.  Always mysteries to solve.  I sure don’t want to get arrested though.  :(

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »
I think Pete has it backwards. It looks to me like Rizzo should go to Manheim and try to get your recipe out of you! Or, I guess he could just come to these pages and find it, but Occupy Norma's Pizza sounds more interesting.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »
I think Pete has it backwards. It looks to me like Rizzo should go to Manheim and try to get your recipe out of you! Or, I guess he could just come to these pages and find it, but Occupy Norma's Pizza sounds more interesting.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for saying Rizzo should come to Manheim or come on the forum to get some of the recipes I have tried.  I do like the sound of the name “Occupy Pizza”!  ;D  I am always interested in trying new doughs to see what happens.

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Norma,
When You emailed him the pictures,he became insanely Jealous of your pizza.That's why you haven't heard back yet.

;D

Nice work and thanks for sharing the story about the dough balls.

8)

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »
Norma,
When You emailed him the pictures,he became insanely Jealous of your pizza.That's why you haven't heard back yet.

;D

Nice work and thanks for sharing the story about the dough balls.

8)

Bill,

Lol, a pizzeria that has been in business for many years getting jealous of my pizza made from their dough balls.  :-D The second attempt with their one dough ball made into a NY style pizza turned out better than the first attempt in a pan.  I am going to try and email them again. 

I would like to have a few more dough balls from Rizzo’s or another NY pizzeria to play around with.  It is always interesting to watch how other pizzerias dough balls look, even if I don‘t get to try them.  ;D

Norma