Author Topic: Pizza sauce, is everyone happy?  (Read 840 times)

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Always trying to improve my dough.
Pizza sauce, is everyone happy?
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »
I don't see a lot of rap here with pizza sauces. So I have come to a few conclusions.

1- Your happy with your current go to sauce(s)
2- Sauce is not an important ingredient in your pies
3- My sauce only contains 2 ingredients, sauce or tomatoes out of a can and xxx 
4- You don't want to let the cat outta the bag

I  wonder what everyone is doing for a typical NY pie?  Care to share? 

Carl

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Re: Pizza sauce, is everyone happy?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
My sauce is usually just crushed tomatoes (usually Colavita or Bianco di Napoli). Sometimes I'll make a sauce with crushed tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. But usually it's just crushed tomatoes and maybe a of salt. That seems to do it for me. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:18:25 PM »
1) Yes.
2) I couldn't disagree more.
3) For NP, a good San Marzano-like whole peeled tomato and salt. For NY, Sclafani crushed or similar run through a food mill to remove the skin bits, salt, and a bit of oregano. Sometimes I put some sauce and fresh basil leaves in a bowl and nuke for a minute or so to extract the basil flavor then add that sauce sauce (but not the basil leaves) back to the rest.
4) See #3.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
Carl,

Pizza sauces have typically been contentious issues on the forum because of the personal nature of such sauces. By that I mean that peoples' taste buds tend to zero in on sauces differently and more intensely than say, crusts or cheeses. (As an aside, the same might be true with different brands of say, pepperoni, both uncooked and baked on a pizza.) So, any given sauce can be intensely liked by one person but be intensely disliked by another person. It might be a matter of the overall taste or flavor, or the consistency of the sauce, the type of tomato, or whether it included bits of tomato skin, or seeds, too watery, too many or too few spices or herbs, the wrong selection of seasonings, too intense or too weak, too oily or not oily enough, or whatever. Over the years, I have seen many instances where a new member asked the forum for their favorite pizza sauces to help get them started on their pizza making journey. Several recipes would be offered up, often with pride and praise. Then the member would return and report that he or she tried the recipes but did not like them. This taught me not to offer up pizza sauce recipes. The exception is when I am trying to reverse engineer or clone a particular pizza sauce.

Several years ago, I thought it would be nice for members to offer up their favorite or best red pizza sauces for our members to try. I started a new thread for this purpose, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9744.msg84540#msg84540. As you can see from the number of posts, that went over like a lead balloon.

My best advice on sauces is for members to first decide what type of pizza they want to make, do some research to see what types of tomatoes and seasonings go best with the chosen style, and start out simple. Find a good tomato, and build on it, adding salt or a bit of sugar if needed, and graduating to herbs and spices. Eventually you will get the balance you are looking for. Others might hate it but it will be your personal creation to like and enjoy :-D.

Peter

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »
I  recall reading that post several months ago. I can't forget Norma's submission.Thats 1 serious sauce.Your right, a lead balloon. None the less, I don't recall reading your go to for a NY.  >:D I'd be very interested in reading what's up your sleeve Peter. ;D

Carl

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »
I  recall reading that post several months ago. I can't forget Norma's submission.Thats 1 serious sauce.Your right, a lead balloon. None the less, I don't recall reading your go to for a NY.  >:D I'd be very interested in reading what's up your sleeve Peter. ;D
Carl,

I'm happy with just some ground fresh-pack tomatoes with some oregano, preferably dried oregano from my garden, and a dusting of a good grated hard cheese such as Parmesan or Romano or a blend. I also like fresh basil but not dry, and once in a while I will add some red pepper flakes.

But another sauce that I liked is the one by member Les as described starting with Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1931.msg17063#msg17063.

Peter

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
Found my got to sauce
 28oz can
Tsp Oregano
Tsp Basil
TBS red wine vinegar
1/4 cayenne pepper
Tsp garlic
Tsp anchovy fillets minced, maybe more.
Tsp honey 

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
Sauce is probably my favorite part about a pizza. I frequently sauce my pie, then after adding toppings and cheese, dollop more sauce on, and I always have sauce on the side for dipping. Every bite gets a dunk.

My sauce is a little oil heated, then in with some red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and chopped garlic, and once that's fragrant, in with the crushed tomatoes, a little salt, and a little sugar, and that simmers for a while.
I finish it with some fresh basil and another splash of oil.

Offline TonyRicci

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 07:18:11 AM »
While talking about sauce, what are everyones thoughts on cooking the sauce?  I do cook mine and the reason being I think it tastes better, especially next day leftovers. To me if i use raw sauce, after the pizza gets to room temp the sauce still tastes raw to me, just a personal thing.  I sauté onions in olive oil till soft add garlic and anchovies 30 sec later add tomatoes, salt, sugar if needed, oregano, red pepper flake, and a shot red wine. Bring to a soft boil put the lid on and turn off the stove and let it sit for a few hours.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 08:01:27 AM »
Just as great pizza requires a great crust, a great sauce Requires a great tomato base.   After countless permutations of tomato products and spices, my favorite sauce is a good a tomato base with minimal seasonings.   I have recently discovered how wonderful a sauce 6n1s become once you mill out the seeds and skins.  It's my goto sauce now and I love it.   I cut it with just a bit of water for NP and pan pizza.  For a NY just a dash of EVOO, a hint of garlic powder and oregano.  That's it.  It's so simple and so good. 

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 02:03:35 AM »
Just as great pizza requires a great crust, a great sauce Requires a great tomato base.   After countless permutations of tomato products and spices, my favorite sauce is a good a tomato base with minimal seasonings.   I have recently discovered how wonderful a sauce 6n1s become once you mill out the seeds and skins.  It's my goto sauce now and I love it.   I cut it with just a bit of water for NP and pan pizza.  For a NY just a dash of EVOO, a hint of garlic powder and oregano.  That's it.  It's so simple and so good.

Interesting. I always disliked the 6n1s because of the gritty seeds and little rolls of skin.

I'll have to try passing them through the  food mill.

I like Carmelina or Alta cucina with salt and (sometimes ) a tiny bit of sugar.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 07:04:32 AM »
Try it Carl.  I was completely surprise by the difference.  I never disliked the 6n1s, but tried them a few times straight from the cans a few years ago and didn't think much of them.  Milled out the seeds and skins and that's all I use now.  Especially since I can get the big cans for under $5.  Carmelinas are decent and I love the  Altacucinas but can't get either at my local Shamrock distributor. 

Offline Fodowsky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
I think the sauce is more important than any other single ingredient.  My sauces change based on the flavor balance I'm trying to achieve. Lately, I'm happy with good whole SM tomatoes, a touch of salt, pepper and fresh basil.  If I want something more bold, I'll saute shallots, garlic and a little red pepper in EVOO, let it cool and add it to the mixture above with a little oregano and a good puree to thicken it up.

I also love a good garlic parm white sauce, buffalo sauce (and a mixture of the two) and the pizza sauce with basil from Stanislaus is also very good.
Jeff

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »
Try it Carl.  I was completely surprise by the difference.  I never disliked the 6n1s, but tried them a few times straight from the cans a few years ago and didn't think much of them.  Milled out the seeds and skins and that's all I use now.  Especially since I can get the big cans for under $5.  Carmelinas are decent and I love the  Altacucinas but can't get either at my local Shamrock distributor.

I definitely would Chau, but being from Canada, this product is not distributed here and the costs on Amazon is skyrocket.

tks
Carl

Offline Peetie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »
I'm a simple man, so a simple sauce. The sauce is supposed to compliment the pizza, not be the highlight. In 2 Tbsp of evoo, I saute a couple of teaspoons of finely chopped onions or shallots, then add a tsp of finely minced garlic, and some oregano, to taste. You want to cook it in the oil to bring out the flavor. You can add some crushed red pepper here, but I like mine on top of the pizza. Add enough crushed tomatoes of your choice to sauce your pizza, add a pinch of sugar, stir to mix and shut off the heart. S&P to taste. You really don't want to cook the tomatoes, but let it sit for a while to let the flavors meld.  Again, simple, but very good. You already worked on the hard part, the dough!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »
I'm a simple man, so a simple sauce. The sauce is supposed to compliment the pizza, not be the highlight. In 2 Tbsp of evoo, I saute a couple of teaspoons of finely chopped onions or shallots, then add a tsp of finely minced garlic, and some oregano, to taste. You want to cook it in the oil to bring out the flavor. You can add some crushed red pepper here, but I like mine on top of the pizza. Add enough crushed tomatoes of your choice to sauce your pizza, add a pinch of sugar, stir to mix and shut off the heart. S&P to taste. You really don't want to cook the tomatoes, but let it sit for a while to let the flavors meld.  Again, simple, but very good. You already worked on the hard part, the dough!

To some here, that would be a fairly complicated sauce  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »
I just use crushed tomatoes most of the time now, no nothing, just them on the pizza.

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #18 on: Today at 01:28:50 AM »
The sauce I've been doing lately

14 oz crushed tomato
1/4 tsp smoked sea salt
1 tsp brown sugar
tiny clove of garlic, pressed
few leaves of fresh minced basil

I like to sprinkle oregano over the cheese instead of the sauce.
Ryan

wordpress