Author Topic: How do you use Full Red? What do you like/dislike about it?  (Read 261 times)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
How do you use Full Red? What do you like/dislike about it?
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
Restaurant Depot KCBS access = lots of tomato options!
I got to visit via KCBS membership, Restaurant Depot. It a great store.  I felt giddy when I found a new wooden peel, some dough cutters, an enormous bag of basil - all very inexpensive compared to other restaurant stores. No Grande..... very sad. I did get a 6  pound block of Polly-O WMLM. It's pretty good.  But the canned tomato isle was like revisiting every sauce thread or reference on this site.  They had Alta Cucina, Bella Vista, 6-1, Bonta, Bonita, Full Red, 7-11, and many others. I mean like 10 more including Hunts and Heinz branded - which I thought was kind of redundant . Most available in #2 and #10 cans. Individually, or in cases.  I could not help myself, even though I just bought 12 #2 cans of 6-1 from Escalon direct last week, I bought 6 #10 cans of 7-11 as many on PMF rave about them and 2 # 10 cans of Full Red because I remembered that brand too.

I used one of the cans of Full Red with an MAE yesterday.  The same MAE I regularly use - a little EVOO and Basil, Marjoram, and a tiny amount of ground mexican oregano and red chile pepper flakes.  I did not like the sauce very much. It was just from the can with the MAE - no water, sugar or salt. I mean it was passable - but that's not what were shooting for, right?! When I do that same thing with a can of 6-1's - I love it.

How do you all use your Full Red sauce? Before I open a can of 7-11 - what are some big differences you have noticed between these two products? Maybe your thoughts on 7-11; Full Red; and 6-1?

I did an advanced search and will reread the posts. Just looking for some fresh opinions. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Best regards,
Don
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:05:17 PM by Donjo911 »
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: How do you use Full Red? What do you like/dislike about it?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
It is great you now have access to all kinds of options :)  Personally I dislike full red.  I find it not very flavorful. It is used by lots of shops for the cost effectiveness- you can water it down a lot and thus get a lot of sauce for a bit of money.  I have mixed it with 7/11's and others to no avail. But it takes trying all these options to find what you like.  Don't go on my or others likes and nays but go on what tastes right to you.  Have fun with the puzzle!  Walter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/ready-products

FULL RED® FULLY PREPARED PIZZA SAUCE
For those preferring a smooth pizza sauce, our Full Red® Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce is the ideal choice! This mildly seasoned sauce makes it easy to add pizza to any menu, or to ensure store-to-store consistency among multi-unit locations

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Ground

7/11® GROUND TOMATOES
Made from chunky fresh-ground unpeeled tomatoes fresh-packed in combination with purée, 7/11® contains bits of skin and more tomato pectin (for a "homemade" texture) than does Tomato Magic®.

The tomato skins in 7/11® add texture and eye appeal. But they also bring something else to the table—fresh flavor! That's because many of the "fresh flavor" essences of a tomato are contained in the thin layer of soft "tomato velvet" just below the tomato's skin. When a tomato is peeled, some of this velvet is lost. But when the whole unpeeled tomato is used (as in 7/11®), the skins bring with them the flavor-packed "velvet"—and that means more fresh flavor!

7/11® was originally created to meet the specific needs of New York "pizzaioli" from Southern Italy, who preferred the coarser mouth-feel of unpeeled tomatoes. Today, "New York Style" pizzerias across the country follow the practice made famous by their New York pizzaioli predecessors—combining 7/11® with Full Red® Pizza Sauce to create the famous New York thin-crust "Cheese and Tomato Pie!"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
Don,

You owe it to yourself to try a can of Pizzaiolo. I love that sauce and you can use it straight out of the can, like hundreds of Pizzerias do everyday.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Thanks Walt & Tom! I appreciate it.

Walter - Funny that you talk about diluting it. That is exactly what I thought when I was eating the reheated slices for lunch today. That sauce is very sweet to my taste. I can totally see watering it down by at least 50% or more and it would probably be better. In hindsight - if I were making 100's of pizzas - Full Red might be a good starting point to dilute and add lots of other ingredients to.

Tom - Thanks for your advice and the details from Stanislaus!  I think based on the descriptions and my general preference for Cento and 6 - 1 tomatoes, I'll probably like the 7-11's more as I "think" my preference is simply toward fresh pack tomatoes.  I will try the Pizzaiolo next time I hit RD. I appreciate the recommendation (especially as you've always and only provided great ones so far!)  I did see it there so I will make sure to pick up a few cans. 

Cheers Pizza Pals,
Don

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
The can Pizzaiolo I tried was just OK.  Their spice blend just didn't do it for me, which has been the case with every prepared sauce I've tried. 

On the other hand, all the Stanislau tomato products (Alta   Cucina, Tomato Magic, 7-11, etc., have all been exceptional straight out the can. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »
Thanks Jonas! FWIW, you should post more of your arrangements on the forum - Many of us love to hear them. You with a (I almost typed Unicorn) accordion - that was rockin' it old school! 

I'm trying not to be the "safe guy" who just makes what he makes because the results are consistent and liked. Frankly, I enjoy the failures almost as much as the [relative] successes. It's just more fun [to me] to play with the tools & ingredients!
The thing I love is, as much as this is a hard to be a unilaterally objective ask and caring about personal taste relative discussion and our own personal taste is different, there is .... [look to stage left.. segue]

I told my wife today about this particular thread.  My premise was that it could have been a forum for plutonium engineers, or graphine tech's, or the Hasty Pudding society' or people in support of _________________. My point was [to said wife] that there are very intellectual, good, and caring people (who you'd probably enjoy some outstanding bourbon - or rum, CaptnBob) that for no other reason than the love of a 'foodstuffs' steer eachother away from poor choices and toward better choices.

I love that about (y'all) and all of the PMF.  It's the opinions that matter.

Cheers,
Don

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »
Donjo:  The pizza puzzle is an infinitely simple one that is not so simple to perfect if one is aiming solely to please ones own taste.  This is how I approach it.  Tasting an ingredient in isolation does not mean it will work in the whole.  I relate this to mixing music because the process of creating a finished product that is pleasing to ones ears is the same as the pizza puzzle.  In isolation a certain tone on an instrument or voice can sound wonderful but when blended with other instruments it can lose its shine due to conflicts at certain frequencies of sound with other instruments/voices in the mix.  The same with pizza in that one has to taste the items in the whole and then it can change again with how much of each item is used.  A pie made with the same dough in an oiled pan will taste different than if it is stone baked and dusted with flour.  I also find full red very sweet but for me it doesn't translate to the whole pie in a way I like no matter how I mix it with other tomatoes.  The balance of taste, like the balance of music to the ears, is a very deep journey of simplicity.  Then we can get to more layers of the artichoke........  Is the crust the focus of your pie?  Are the toppings? The overall look?  For me it is the crust and when I add sauce/ cheese/toppings it is done lightly.  They have to compliment and not overpower the flavor of the crust. People can take my pies or leave them.  I make them for me and if other like them great.  Luckily others do in general so I have no fears opening my own shop on my terms.  I see many articles about pleasing the customer, going with current popular trends, at the cost of abandoning what the owner may like.  For me that would be boring and generic in approach/result.   Anyway, I applaud you trusting your tastes :)  Walter
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:23:51 PM by waltertore »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:37:13 AM »
I like mostly all the Stanislaus Products. However, what I love about Pizzaiolo is that you do not have to do anything to it. Just use it straight out of the can.  Also, the smell and trying a spoonful of Pizzaiolo are fantastic. You will see what I mean once you try it. Hope that helps.

TomN

pizzapan