Author Topic: best way to use fresh tomatoes  (Read 556 times)

Offline mattdiskin

• I Love Pizza!
best way to use fresh tomatoes
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
The tomatoes at the farmers market here in western North Carolina are in!  They are delicious...the typical style you get in the summer that are very tasty even eaten plain.  I'm interested in any suggestions how to incorporate them onto a pizza. 

I'm thinking either: 1) just sliced straight onto the pie with some fresh mozzarella and basil; or 2) diced and tossed with some typical spices.  Any suggestions?  Is there a concern they might make the pizza too soggy?

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
best way to use fresh tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
I sliced them thin and baked them on the pie with little cheese in top. Delicious.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:35:24 PM by David Esq. »

Offline jambro

• I Love Pizza!
Re: best way to use fresh tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
I've only used slices but want to try a sauce.  I'm thinking of pulsing them a food processor and then straining before adding garlic and olive oil.  Straining might not be necessary with romas?  Cooking to thicken seems oxymoronic.

Offline jambro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Made a sauce last night with fresh plum tomatoes.  I sliced the skin of the ends and put them boiling water for a few seconds and peeled them after they cooled then sliced off the stem ends and pureed them in the FP with olive oil, garlic. dry oregano, and pepper flakes.  No straining need but I used too much garlic and the tomatoes kind of got lost.  I used too much cheese too which I have a habit of.

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »
Boil, blanch and skin tomatoes. Chop into halves, deseed, and chop into smaller cubes. Mix with garlic, onions (optional), dried herbs, pepperica, salt, pepper, oil. Put on a roasting tray and in the oven on a top shelf with the broiler on. Once the tomatoes get a good amount of char, pop them in the blender. Let sit overnight in the fridge before adjusting with salt/sugar and more herbs.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
Home canned is the only way I've ever used fresh tomatoes in pizza sauce and liked it. Quickly (10 seconds) blanch the tomatoes so that the velvet does not come off with the skin. I liked it best canned with a couple basil leaves, a pinch of salt, and 1 Tbs of fresh lemon juice.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32556.0
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline misterschu

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
I've been pleased with results I had from using fresh thin-sliced tomatoes, some olive oil, some garlic and bake. I also like to blanch them to help with removing the skins, then chop them coarsely or puree them briefly, I don't find it necessary to deseed them, add some salt and a bit of olive oil. The second suggestion is actually my favorite tomato usage for pizza.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »
As many of you know, fresh tomatoes are my "go to" excuse for pizza sauce. I never use sauce when I can use fresh, vine ripened tomatoes. Thin slice the tomato about 3/16-inch thick, place on absorbent towels to pull the excess moisture from the cut slices. To use, brush the pizza skin with a very light application of olive oil (this creates a moisture barrier between the fresh tomato and the dough) I then apply fresh sliced or minced garlic (about a tablespoon for a 12-inch pizza) then a few fresh basil leaves and cover with the tomato slices, apply cheese and other toppings as desired. At my end of the table you will also find cut slices (media luna) of fresh tomato as one of my requested toppings, they're that good. :)
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
I would normally pass on a sauce recipe that contaminates fresh tomatoes with canned ones, but the recipes in Vetri's pasta book:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37804.0

have been so perfect, so spot-on with my tastes, that I had to give his tomato sauce a try. Basically you saute onions, garlic and canned tomatoes and puree the mixture in the blender. Then you saute onions, garlic, and fresh tomatoes and mix everything together. The recipe calls for blanching and peeling the fresh tomatoes, but since many of the ones I picked from the garden were cherry or pear, I passed them all through a mill that removes the skins and most of the seeds. The fresh tomatoes made the canned ones taste better and, for reasons I don't understand, the canned ones made the fresh ones better, too. The total was so much more than the sum of the parts. I didn't tell anyone that the sauce on the pizza had canned tomatoes. Everyone raved about how good the fresh tomato pizza sauce was with this year's crop.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
Oops! That should have read to slice the tomatoes about 3/16-inch NOT 6/16. Blame it on old age.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

(Moderator note: fixed in original)

pizzapan