Author Topic: Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes  (Read 452 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes
« on: June 27, 2015, 05:30:56 PM »
Just pulled the trigger over at Amazon on a case of 12 28oz cans of the Sclafani brand.

Heard only good things about them and the price is better than Escalon's for the 6in1's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9TCIQG/?tag=pmak-20
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline caymus

Re: Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »
You will like them. Not a bad price for online. On the East Coast they are $1.56/can at Walmart

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »
You will like them. Not a bad price for online. On the East Coast they are $1.56/can at Walmart

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm looking forward of trying them.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »
I will be curious as to what you think.  Being a NJ native and having the traditional tomato garden every summer in our postage stamp back yard got me really excited about these tomatoes.  The NJ home growns were the best tomatoes I have ever eaten but the Sclafani tomatoes did not work in balance with my pies.  I was really bummed out about that.  Walter

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
I love the Scalfani !
 :drool:
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »
I love Sclafani crushed. In the spirit of experimentation, I did just grab a huge can of 7/11's the other day to try based on so many discussions of the two here. I'll update when I try.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »
They are the sweetest and some of the best tasting tomatoes I've ever tried, however like Walter, to my tastes, they don't work on (my) pizza. As odd as it sounds, they are too rich and sweet.

I will be curious as to what you think.  Being a NJ native and having the traditional tomato garden every summer in our postage stamp back yard got me really excited about these tomatoes.  The NJ home growns were the best tomatoes I have ever eaten but the Sclafani tomatoes did not work in balance with my pies.  I was really bummed out about that.  Walter
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »
They are the sweetest and some of the best tasting tomatoes I've ever tried, however like Walter, to my tastes, they don't work on (my) pizza. As odd as it sounds, they are too rich and sweet.

Craig:  You said it perfectly.  It really confused me and again showed how ingredients tasted in isolation can not be guaranteed to work or not work when mixed with other ingredients.  Walter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:09:10 PM »
Got them in.

All 21 lbs. Let's see how they compare to the 7/11's and 6 in 1's.

Mike

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough! I found it, I found it!!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
Got them in.

All 21 lbs. Let's see how they compare to the 7/11's and 6 in 1's.

Can't wait to see the outcome. You wouldn't have a Wally Mart Great Value can lying around that you can include in your taste comparison?
Carl

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »
Can't wait to see the outcome. You wouldn't have a Wally Mart Great Value can lying around that you can include in your taste comparison?

Never even heard of of those tomatoes.
Mike

Offline jkb

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »

Kinda like pairing a big wine with food.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 07:04:13 PM »
Mike,

I like the Sciafani crushed tomatoes on pizzas, but they are sweeter than some other crushed tomatoes.  I did a taste comparsion with Walmart's Great Value Crushed tomatoes and Walmart's Great Value tomato paste against Saporito Heavy Pizza sauce mixed with 7/11's.  That was on the monthly challenge at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9744.msg85554#msg85554 

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:38 PM »
Mike,

I like the Sciafani crushed tomatoes on pizzas, but they are sweeter than some other crushed tomatoes.  I did a taste comparsion with Walmart's Great Value Crushed tomatoes and Walmart's Great Value tomato paste against Saporito Heavy Pizza sauce mixed with 7/11's.  That was on the monthly challenge at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9744.msg85554#msg85554 

Norma

Norma,

Thanks for the link. Good stuff.

Glad to hear you liked the Sclafani. I will find out on Monday how they work out on my pies.  ;D
Mike