Author Topic: Finally found that "flexible" dough!! Pics attached  (Read 2837 times)

Offline finfan

Finally found that "flexible" dough!! Pics attached
« on: November 27, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
Hi guys
 After much trial and error and more flour on the floor than in the bowl at times, I think I found the dough I have been looking for. It stretched beautifully and easily. I wouldn't know if its a NY style pizza or not and frankly I don't really care; it works for me. Thanks to everyone for suggestions and input. Pictures are attached. Ingredient list is below.
 Now for my next project...a very good sauce to go on top. I have a 6-pound can of Stanislaus 7/11 crushed tomatoes as a base. Let the experimenting begin. Suggestions anyone?

This dough was stretched out to 18 inches and I know I could have easily gotten 20 out of it or even more. I baked it at 500 degrees on a screen in my kitchen oven.

2 cups All Trumps flour
1/2 cup Caputo 00 flour
1 tsp. Kosher salt
3/4 cups water
1/2 tbls. olive oil
1 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup 100-110 degree water

Offline Saturday Coffee

Re: Finally found that "flexible" dough!! Pics attached
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »

Looks nice.  I love doughs that behave well.  Does it taste as good as it looks?

Offline finfan

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
Yeah, I was very satisfied with it overall. Looking forward to making another ASAP

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
****Please forgive me, I posted my original recipe accidentally rather than my finished recipe. This is my finished version! Sorry!!

Hi there,

I am new to this forum but have been making their cracker crust recipe for years.
I have, what I feel, is the best traditional pizza sauce that is awesome on any
crust.  This recipe makes enough sauce for a 14"-16"pie.

1- 28oz can of Cento San Marzano tomatoes
1 tb of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp of fresh green pepper(diced super-fine)
3/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/8 tsp fine sea salt or to taste
1/8 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp sweet basil
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp lemon pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp thyme
Very small pinch of cayenne pepper
Very small pinch of red pepper flakes

Directions:

1. Open can of tomatoes and hand-rinse each tomato under a weak water stream and
get rid of the seeds(Seeds make sauce bitter) and place in a separate dish.
Reserve the juice for later.
2. Hand crush the tomatoes to a very soupy consistency.
3. Add to small sauce pan along with the chopped green pepper and take a handheld
kitchen puree tool and reduce mixture to a very fine sauce.  Make sure to puree
the green peppers as well.
4. Add all other ingredients and bring to a soft boil then turn down immediately
to simmer until sauce thickens about 10 minutes or so.  If need be, add the
reserve juice from the can to achieve desired consistency.  I like my sauce thick
but not too thick.

Please note that you can tweak this recipe to your liking, but I feel it is
perfect as it is.  Also, it is imperative to use the green pepper and fennel
seeds. The green pepper adds a very unique dimension to this sauce and shouldn't
be omitted.  The fennel seeds must also be used as they give a true pizzeria
fling to the sauce.  Please enjoy!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:38:26 PM by kerrymarcy »

Offline finfan

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
Thanks Kerry;
I will try your recipe and will definitely get back to you, but it sounds mouth-watering already :)

scott123

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »
I wouldn't know if its a NY style pizza or not and frankly I don't really care; it works for me

Linwood, in your profile it says your favorite pizza is 'thin crust round pepperoni pizza.' 'Thin crust round pepperoni pizza,' is NY style.  Are you telling me that you don't want to make your favorite pizza style?  I'm not trying to be confrontational here- it would just be useful to know what your goals are so I don't give you conflicting advice.

Offline finfan

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »
Hi Scott
 Why would I not want to make or try to duplicate my favorite pizza? I was simply saying that IF the pizza I just made is NY style, then great, and if its not NY style, then that's great too cause I was extremely satisfied with the results. I didn't care if it was considered NY style or Neapolitan style or even Idaho style (if there is such a thing) :) The bottom line here is it was a very good pizza and really, isn't that what everyone wants to achieve?
 As far as goals, my goal all along was to simply make a dough that can be easily stretched thin without tearing and without springing back and without using a rolling pin to get it.  I think I have accomplished that with my choice of flour blends, yeast, and some of the great advice such as hand kneading that I received here in this forum. Thanks to all   :pizza:

Offline tommygun722

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
Great pics!  That is exactly what I'm wanting to achieve.  Your crush looks crispy and paper thin and the crumb looks soft and chewy.  I'm having several problems.  My crust doesn't get to the color I want and the crust is always too thick, I want that super thin crust on the outside of my dough.  I've tried a few flours out, but never the 00 types.  I'm using King Arthur Bread flour, a cooking stone preheated to 500 degrees.  I knead with my Kitchenaid stand mixer/bread hook, I've tried everything from 2 minutes to 15 minutes of kneading and several different amounts of water to flour ratio's and I'm wondering what makes the difference in how a dough browns and what determines how thick the crust on the dough becomes?

scott123

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:26:22 PM »
Tommy, I'm not sure what you mean by 'super thin crust on the outside of my dough'.  Cooked dough is 'crust.'  Are you looking for a super thin dough or are you looking for a puffy rim with a thin layer of dough on the exterior?

Offline tommygun722

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
Scott123:  Hey Scott, ... thanks for the correction, I want my dough to look like the pics after I put it in a 500 degree oven :)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline vesperd54

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 11:08:49 PM »
This dough was stretched out to 18 inches and I know I could have easily gotten 20 out of it or even more.

Hello Finfan,
What did your dough weigh? I am presuming you stretched it by hand and formed the edge (crust) a little thicker than the bottom?
Thanks!

Offline finfan

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
Hi Vesperd
 The dough ball weighed 380-400 grams, and yes it was hand stretched.