Author Topic: How much flour in a specific-sized pie? A couple questions  (Read 4583 times)

scott123

Re: How much flour in a specific-sized pie? A couple questions
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »
One thing that's incredibly helpful when trying to settle in on a procedure is to have a really good idea of what style you're trying to make. Each particular style has certain rules that have been fine tuned for decades.  To be honest, when you put 'NY like,' I wasn't really certain what that meant, but after you praised Mike's pies, I knew that I was pointing you in the right direction.  I'm curious, have you been to New York or was/is there a NY style pizzeria in your area that you're impressed with? I know that I'll sometimes look at a photo of a particular food and say "I want that," so if that's how you're approaching it, that's great, but I was wondering if you had eaten many great NY style pies.

That's good news about the oven setting controversy. 25 degrees would certainly help.  Every degree makes a difference.

I do fine without a .1g scale.  I've thought about buying one, but I don't completely trust the cheap calibration weights and the better weights are too expensive. I've also been sort of vacillating between the .1g accuracy scale and the .01g accuracy one. I'll probably break down eventually and buy one, but, right now, I'm fine with my dash, pinch and smidgeon measuring spoons.

Offline DoughFoSho

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »
Thanks Scott.
I'll explain, when I say NY style, it is not the taste I am referring to, as I have never tasted an original one, BUT, I'm referring to the looks, this is why, as you said, I liked Mikes pies. what I look for is a thin pizza, chewy(well, I need a better flour but ya know), with a nice bubbly crust.

Tomorrow we will see how bubbly I can get with my oven, because like you said, I'd need a higher temp oven,
But I'm all in hope that my oven can get warmer than we all assume
Anyhew, I'll make sure that the new oven we will get will be a high-ass temp one [=
That's why I'm very glad we got to discuss oven temp now, when it's not too late

Thanks for the input regarding the scale, I'll just stick to my 1g devision one, then

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:02:25 PM by DoughFoSho »

Offline DoughFoSho

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
Here's my first NY(?) guys! Thanks for the help, in this thread ofcourse

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16588.new.html

Pizza01

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
Shahar.
19cl deg water is the tem i start the process with because the get ends up warmer after kneading it in the food processor. Its ok the yeast can handle that temp.
The small amount of yeast is the correct amount for me for this 24 hours rise.
You can read the keste clone thread, roberto the pizzaiolo said he put 1g of cake yeast per 1kg flour.
I puted little less then that.
I did this dough before it was great then also, i dont like the cold rise in this type of flour and after trying it before this time of year room temp rise for 24 hour give the dough softness, taste, airy crust.
It was perfect.
I will post tommarow.