Author Topic: Top is done before bottom of crust is perfect  (Read 603 times)

Offline gfbuyer

Top is done before bottom of crust is perfect
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
I bake my pizza's in an electric oven at 500. I have a stone as low to the bottom of the over as possible. I cook the pizza's on a screen which I place directly on the stone. A 16" Cheese pizza is done in about 9-10 minutes. My results are pretty good, but I want to do better. The issue I need help with is that the cheese is perfect and ready to come out while the bottom is not as brown as I want. I am at a loss for how to get the crust browner without the top getting over done. Any suggestions ??

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Top is done before bottom of crust is perfect
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
Is the bottom just not the desired color or is it also undercooked (e.g. gummy texture)? What kind of flour are you using? What else is in the dough? Sugars, oils, dairy, etc. can be used to add color to the crust.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
gfbuyer

Why are you using a screen?  Is your pizza bigger then your stone? If the pizza will fit on the stone without the use of a screen, that would be the place to start. Any reason your oven won't go to 525 or 550? How long are you preheating your stone? You may need a longer preheat. Give us a little more info.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
Doesn't add up, 9-10 minutes at 500 seems like a really long time.

I agree with above, preheat for an ~hour at highest possible temp and don't use a screen.

Offline atom

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »
I concur with the above. Make sure you preheat your stone. I didnt preheat mine yesterday as long as i should have and today my stomach feels awful after woofing down my pizza. Really even for a thin stone 45min to an hour is a good idea.

pizzapan