Author Topic: Forgot salt...now what?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Seven

Forgot salt...now what?
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
Made about 40 ounces of dough late last night for a couple pies tonight. I think I forgot to add salt but don't know for sure. Is there anything I can do? I'll taste the dough before stretching but if it's bland, can I sprinkle some on top and bottoms then stretch? Or should I reball with some salt and let the dough rise again? I normally add a full tablespoon to this recipe. Thanks!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Forgot salt...now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
Seven,

I think the first thing I would do is take a piece of the dough and knead it in a small amount of water until just about all that is left is the gluten, which will be a rubbery mass. That might take about 5-10 minutes. Maybe you could use a piece of dough the size of a walnut and about a half-cup water. Once you reach the gluten stage, then taste the water. If you omitted the salt, the waler shouldn't have a salty taste.. If you did forget the salt, it may be a bit late now to try to add it back in. The best time would have been after the dough was made where you could have diluted some salt in water and kneaded it back into the dough. If you indeed did forget the salt, there are some solutions that people have tried, as noted, for example, at http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/3948/oops-forgot-salt. If your dough has risen more than normal this morning, that could also be a sign that you forgot the salt since salt acts as a regulator of the fermentation process. Leaving it out will often manifest itself by a faster than normal rising dough. This point is discussed at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1447.msg13130/topicseen.html#msg13130.

Please let us know the outcome. Omitting salt is a fairly common experience, and your experience and any workable solutions might help others.

Peter

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
Thanks Peter! It was very late when I made the dough and I know I took the salt out of the pantry but honestly don't recall adding it. The dough does seem to have risen more than normal but I'm also using new yeast. I may just sprinkle some grated cheese on the skin before baking and take the risk. Doesn't it just figure that the one day I have company I screw up the dough? Murphys law I suppose...

Offline ElRonno

• Keep calm and eat pizza
    • Eetpraat
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
I'm afraid putting some salt on the outside of the dough will not help much. It may get a salty taste, but completely different from what it should be. I would start over with new dough, although it's too late for a long cold fermentation. Don't discard the old dough yet, but make the new dough as a backup. Just to be sure.
"When a=depth and z=radius of the pie, the volume is pi.z.z.a!"

Offline Seven

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
So I decided to just make the pies rather than mess with the dough or make a new batch. I sprinkled the crust with grated cheese prior to baking but it didn't help much. Crust was a bit bland but the pizzas still tasted great!

pizzapan