Author Topic: Keste and Motorino - Quick NYC Trip  (Read 4096 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Keste and Motorino - Quick NYC Trip
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
I am Kaki and golf shirt every day as well!  Successful "Sales Engineer", at least thats what the card says  ;D thats how I am able to do the FlirtingWFire Gig,  so I am not sure I am following the "I'd be doing what your doin" comment?
regardless-  I would love to hook up if you ever found the time.  I would like to try the BS pie as well!
keep me posted please
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
I am not sure I am following the "I'd be doing what your doin" comment?

I should have written "I'd be doing what you're doing [meaning the pizza part of what you're doing] full time."

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »
 Craig, nice report. what was your impression of what the two pizzerias did compared to your pizzas?were you surprised that your home pies were close, or did you leave with the goal of getting yours closer to either of them. i think keste would be considered delicate in their methods. it sounds better than feminine :-D
 i wish i would have timed my last visit i think it was faster than that.
 one of the most memorable pizzas i have had was from motorino east village the first day he was opened after his purchase from upn. he did a upn tribute pizza of olive oil, cut cherry tomatoes,garlic,mozzarella,basil,romano cheese, thyme, finished with sea salt.it was a killer pizza!!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
I don't know that I would characterize Keste as "feminine," but it was a young lady who made my pie.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline communist

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »
After Broadway with Mary Poppins, my family of six walked down to Keste Pizza yesterday.  It was around six and the place was busy, but we got seated right away.  I asked for Roberto, but our waiter told us he had just left.  Our waiter was courteous, and we placed our order quickly.  Half of my family had never tasted Neopolitan, the other half, including me, tasted it for the first time at Pupatella's in D.C. and were thrilled.  Our four pies were delivered right away, and they looked and tasted great.  Our margherita was puffy, light, and the mozarella tasted so creamy!  I loved it. It was not watery.  My 12 year old daughter thought her slice had too much char - I looked it over and disagreed.  I ate the remainder of her slice and loved it.  We took a risk with the Pizza del Papa with butternut squash cream, imported smoked mozzarella, artichoke, and red and yellow peppers - it was fantastic and quickly disappeared.  Next was the Quattro Formaggi, with fresh buffalo mozzarella, gran cru, caciocavallo, parm-reggiano, basil and olive oil.  Another winner, great tasting, but not as interesting as the Pizza del Papa.  Our fourth pie was the Capricciosa with tomatoes, artichoke, mushroom, imported cooked ham, fresh mozzarella, extra virgin olive oil.  My two girls chose this as their favorite.  The crust on all pies was excellent, with puffy rims and thin centers.  I thought the char was perfect.  This place has world class pizza.  It seems Neopolitan pies are ideal for creative and colorful and flavorful toppings.  Is it a superior medium for these types of toppings compared to NY pie?  Freshness seems to describe the pie.  I love a NY pie, but I am starting to talk about brick ovens .  Pics to follow (hopefully)

scott123

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
You walked from midtown all the way down to Keste?  That's kind of a trek, isn't it?

Is it a superior medium for these types of toppings compared to NY pie?  Freshness seems to describe the pie.

This is an astute observation.  The shorter bake time lends itself to a much different set of toppings. For the NYer who might be in a bit of a topping rut, Neapolitan toppings are a breath of fresh air. Like brussels sprouts- I really don't think brussels sprouts work as well on a longer baked NY pie.

On a scale between 1 and 10, where would you place Keste in comparison to Pupatella?

Next time, get the Lardo pie.

Offline communist

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
keste
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:23:37 PM by communist »

Offline communist

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
keste

Offline communist

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »
keste

Offline communist

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
You walked from midtown all the way down to Keste?  That's kind of a trek, isn't it?

Yes, it was a good walk.  And on the way back, the 12 year old did end up on my back after showing me her blisters!

On a scale between 1 and 10, where would you place Keste in comparison to Pupatella?

The Keste pie was really good, and I will return.  The three of us who had Pupatella's gave it 10, 10 and 10.  I give Keste a 9, my son an 8 and my daughter ( the one riding on my back ) an 8.  Now, is that because Pupatella's was our first Neo?  I would not be willing to say with any certainty Keste is less than the best - I am still a rookie with Neo pies, but because it was a hot Saturday was the center ulta-thin and the crust a hint too thick with a hint of bready characteristic to it?  Was Pupatella's sauce a bit brighter in flavor?  Does "sunglasses inside" Enzo make all the pies and is quality control tighter since Roberto was not in?  I only hazard these guesses because you ask me Scott, and I must be totally honest with the Godfather of NY pie.  I do not want any horses head under my pillow tonight.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:28:57 PM by communist »

scott123

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
No horses head for you  ;D Although you did lose some street cred going to see Mary Poppins*  :P  Being the Neil Armstrong of steel plate, though, you've got plenty of cred to spare.

*Julie Andrews is a goddess, and Mary Poppins could be the most influential movie of my youth, but... I lived in Hell's Kitchen during the years when it transitioned from crack/prostitutes to Disney, and, let me tell ya, it had far more soul and character with the crack.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
Thanks for the recap and pictures of your trip to Keste!  Glad you and yours enjoyed your trip. :)

You bring up an interesting point about Pupatella and Keste. I have been proclaiming Pupatella as my favorite Neapolitan pizza I have yet to try south of New York City (currently without question the clear leader in the DC-NOVA area). But is it as good as the revered Keste, Motorino, Paulie Gee's, etc? It may be.

For a while now, I've had a burning desire to start a day off at Pupatella and then immediately put the iron boot on and haul ass to NYC to eat some Neapolitan for a same day tasting for a more accurate comparison.  Granted, it would only be based on a comparative tasting on one day, but it would be interesting.

Meanwhile, I have it on good authority that Pizza CS in Rockville has been steadily improving the quality of its pizzas.  And Edan MacQuaid's new joint in DC is bound to vie for the Neapolitan crown.  But until proven otherwise, Enzo and his Forno Napoletana baked pies wear the crown down here. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan