Author Topic: New York for a day, and got to try some new pizzas!!!  (Read 7817 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: New York for a day, and got to try some new pizzas!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:20 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:02:56 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:07:34 AM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »
Norma,

That was a very nice writeup on your NYC visit. And thank you for taking a photo (last photo in Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161662.html#msg161662) showing one of the Occupiers that have been on the streets of NYC for some time. I hope you didn't give her any money or any of your pizza slices.

Peter

Offline scott123

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:17:30 AM »
Norma, when I go on and on (and on) about 4 minute bakes and steel plate for home ovens, the kind of pizza I'm referring to is Best Pizza. That's what NY style can and should be, but very rarely is. It may be a wood fired oven that used to be coal, but it's neither Neapolitan or Neo NY/Coal style pizza. It's a classic NY style slice and it completely massacres the typical, lifeless looking slices in the photos you posted earlier in the thread (Angelica?). 10 to 15 years ago, Joes, on a good day, could approximate this.  Johnny's, in Mount Vernon, although they don't sell slices, is in a similar realm. 20 years ago, what I call the golden age of pizza, this quality of pie was much more common in the NY area, because the ovens ran hotter.  These days, some deck ovens can produce these pies, but many can't.  There's also a lot of pizzeria owners that have ovens that can make this, but, for whatever reason, won't turn up the dial.

Kelly, why is this the first time I'm hearing of this place?  Are you holding out on us?  ;D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
Kelly, why is this the first time I'm hearing of this place?  Are you holding out on us?  ;D

scott123,

See the thread and Kelly's post at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13226.msg130458.html#msg130458.

Peter

Offline scott123

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
I saw the title and thought it was Williamsburg, Virginia  :-D

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
I'm glad you got to visit Best Pizza and Mast Brothers Chocolate Norma. Did you like the chocolate?

The square at Rizzo's looks pretty good Norma. BTW, how loud was the volume dial turned up on the music in Best Pizza? It can get pretty loud in there at times.

To clarify, Norma had asked me to recommend some slice shops (not whole pie joints) which were close to the BQE, of which Best Pizza is very close to it (not too far from being under it). I also happen to think Best Pizza is currently offering one of the best slices I have yet to try in NYC. I also recommended Joe & Pat's in Staten Island since I thought Norma might be taking the Staten Island Expressway home and Joe & Pat's is just off I-278.

Norma, in the last (3rd) picture of reply #6 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161667.html#msg161667), the pizza from the pita place you posted almost looks like it has Zatar spices as a topping. What is on that pizza?

Peter, I burst out laughing and spit a little coffee on my monitor reading your post and looking at the picture you were referring to.

Scott, I've mentioned Best Pizza a few times here now.....so I'm not holding back. BTW, I know this sounds silly, but the simple addition of the sesame seeds Best Pizza puts on near the rim of their white pizza is pure genius....they go so well with the caramelized onions on their white pizza. The regular slice at Best Pizza is a literal time warp back to days past in NYC.

The picture Norma posted of the "I fu&#ing love you man" paper plate next to the Van Halen logo paper plate in Best Pizza is priceless! You may get bombarded with very loud hip-hop music blaring at Best Pizza (which is fine by me), but this place epitomizes a neighborhood slice joint to be proud of. And then there are the sandwiches there.....

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline scott123

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »
The picture Norma posted of the "I fu&#ing love you man" paper plate next to the Van Halen logo paper plate in Best Pizza is priceless!

After seeing that photo, I immediately went and blew up/cropped out that plate in photoshop.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »
Norma,

That was a very nice writeup on your NYC visit. And thank you for taking a photo (last photo in Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161662.html#msg161662) showing one of the Occupiers that have been on the streets of NYC for some time. I hope you didn't give her any money or any of your pizza slices.

Peter

Peter,

I am glad you enjoyed the write-up and pictures.  That picture I posted of the “Occupier” of NY streets had her “pizza walking boots” on to be able to walk from one pizza place to the next.  She even gets free pizza slices without even trying.  I would fight anyone for a chance to try a different pizza.  Don’t worry I didn’t give her any money or pizza.  :-D

Any ideas of something to do with the dough balls from Rizzo's?  ::)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 10:12:08 AM »
Norma, when I go on and on (and on) about 4 minute bakes and steel plate for home ovens, the kind of pizza I'm referring to is Best Pizza. That's what NY style can and should be, but very rarely is. It may be a wood fired oven that used to be coal, but it's neither Neapolitan or Neo NY/Coal style pizza. It's a classic NY style slice and it completely massacres the typical, lifeless looking slices in the photos you posted earlier in the thread (Angelica?). 10 to 15 years ago, Joes, on a good day, could approximate this.  Johnny's, in Mount Vernon, although they don't sell slices, is in a similar realm. 20 years ago, what I call the golden age of pizza, this quality of pie was much more common in the NY area, because the ovens ran hotter.  These days, some deck ovens can produce these pies, but many can't.  There's also a lot of pizzeria owners that have ovens that can make this, but, for whatever reason, won't turn up the dial.

Scott,

I know how you go on and on about using a steel plate for home ovens, but didn’t know the style of pizza you were referring to was like Best Pizza.  I never tasted a pizza like Best Pizza before, but the slices sure were great.  I didn’t get a chance time any bakes in the wood fired oven, so I don’t know how long they take to bake.  I guess I never tasted a pizza before like were back in the “Golden Age” of pizza.  Thanks for explaining more to me.  :)

Norma

Offline scott123

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »
Yes, Norma, the Pennsylvania Dutch region wasn't part of the golden age. Neither were large sections of New Jersey.  In all fairness, though, your area probably has incredible German specialties that we New Yorkers have never had the pleasure to sample.

And, just because Lancaster didn't have a 'Best Pizza' style of slice then doesn't mean they can't have one now *wink* *wink*  The golden age that inhabited the NYC area 20 years ago could, if I get my way, inhabit the whole world sometime in the immediate future. Everyone on the planet deserves a Best Pizza slice- and not for $3.50 either

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
I'm glad you got to visit Best Pizza and Mast Brothers Chocolate Norma. Did you like the chocolate?

The square at Rizzo's looks pretty good Norma. BTW, how loud was the volume dial turned up on the music in Best Pizza? It can get pretty loud in there at times.

To clarify, Norma had asked me to recommend some slice shops (not whole pie joints) which were close to the BQE, of which Best Pizza is very close to it (not too far from being under it). I also happen to think Best Pizza is currently offering one of the best slices I have yet to try in NYC. I also recommended Joe & Pat's in Staten Island since I thought Norma might be taking the Staten Island Expressway home and Joe & Pat's is just off I-278.

Norma, in the last (3rd) picture of reply #6 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161667.html#msg161667), the pizza from the pita place you posted almost looks like it has Zatar spices as a topping. What is on that pizza?

Peter, I burst out laughing and spit a little coffee on my monitor reading your post and looking at the picture you were referring to.

Scott, I've mentioned Best Pizza a few times here now.....so I'm not holding back. BTW, I know this sounds silly, but the simple addition of the sesame seeds Best Pizza puts on near the rim of their white pizza is pure genius....they go so well with the caramelized onions on their white pizza. The regular slice at Best Pizza is a literal time warp back to days past in NYC.

The picture Norma posted of the "I fu&#ing love you man" paper plate next to the Van Halen logo paper plate in Best Pizza is priceless! You may get bombarded with very loud hip-hop music blaring at Best Pizza (which is fine by me), but this place epitomizes a neighborhood slice joint to be proud of. And then there are the sandwiches there.....

Kelly,

I am so glad you did recommended Best Pizza to me and also the kinds of slices to try.  The music wasn’t loud at all at Best Pizza.  I saw a truck delivering pizza boxes to best pizza.  I couldn’t believe how many boxes they were taking off that truck.   :o

Thanks for explaining more about what you recommended to me.  Since we didn’t go Joe & Pat’s in Staten Island, I have to go their someday also.  

The one picture I posted from the pita place, I am not sure what those toppings were.  We just had the garlic pita.  

The chocolate at Mast Brothers Chocolate was very good.  :) I am not used a stronger chocolate.  It sure was different.

Your are right that the sesame seeds Best Pizza puts on near the rim of their white pizza is pure genius.  Those caramelized onions are great too!  

I had too much pizza yesterday, but will be going back to Best Pizza someday to eat more pizza and taste their sandwiches.

Thanks!  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:58:26 AM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
Yes, Norma, the Pennsylvania Dutch region wasn't part of the golden age. Neither were large sections of New Jersey.  In all fairness, though, your area probably has incredible German specialties that we New Yorkers have never had the pleasure to sample.

And, just because Lancaster didn't have a 'Best Pizza' style of slice then doesn't mean they can't have one now *wink* *wink*  The golden age that inhabited the NYC area 20 years ago could, if I get my way, inhabit the whole world sometime in the immediate future. Everyone on the planet deserves a Best Pizza slice- and not for $3.50 either

Scott,

I know the Pa. Dutch region wasn't part of the golden age.  I sure wouldn't know how to go about cloning a Best Pizza.  I think everyone also at least should try a Best Pizza at some point in their life.  The five slices I bought were 15.00.  My two daughters also had to try the white pizza slices after mine, but I didn't take pictures of them. 

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
Wow. What a great trip. Thanks for the write-up and pics. I'll put Best on my list for sure. My kids will be all about Mast too.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline scott123

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
I sure wouldn't know how to go about cloning a Best Pizza.

Oh, come on, Norma, you could make a Best Pizza with one hand tied behind your back  ;D Straight dough, one to two days ferment, minimal thickness factor (.07 to .075), hydration a bit above absorption value, and, most importantly, a hot oven.  Are you running the oven at the market the hottest it will go?

The flour is a bit of question mark, but it's got to be either 12.5ish or 14% protein or bromated (likely) or unbromated, so that's not that many permutations to test. Do you still have any Pendleton?

Even if you took your existing Lehmann preferment recipe and cranked the heat to a 3-4ish minute bake, that would bring you much closer to a Best style pie.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »
Norma,

I forgot to thank you for the write-up and pictures.  I really enjoyed reading about and seeing pics of your trip.

Your enthusiasm for pizza and enjoyment of life are apparent in your many posts here and they cause me to smile often.  That tingle on your cheek is from the kiss I just blew your way.

Thanks again and glad you had a good time! --K

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »
Thanks for the virtual tour Norma, I might be knocking on your door someday so you can take me along. :-D :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »
Peter, you were right!  :D