Author Topic: Draw Back to selling FROZEN pizza  (Read 987 times)

Offline sarduyjorge

Draw Back to selling FROZEN pizza
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:52:53 AM »
What would be the problem as far as taste if I start to sell my pizza frozen [how long will they last without loosing its flavor]; I know that a majority of frozen pizza company does this but mine will have NO chemicals or preservatives.
I would basically be making NY style gas oven pizza, cool down, shrink wrap, label and freeze; have some friends who have small chain supermarket who would carry them [as a favor, cash on delivery].
What would be my niche is I'm planning to make them 22".

thanks

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Draw Back to selling FROZEN pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:58:47 AM »
hope all the projected customers you are targeting have an oven that is 22" big inside to cook it
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline sarduyjorge

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:03:49 AM »
Very GOOD point, I guess I will have to go by my oven measurement, 18", but prefer to make it 20x16 size
in my market size matters, so it still comes roughly to my 22" pie

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:22:37 AM »
You might want to post your question in the Ask the Dough Doctor board since Tom Lehmann has extensive experience in frozen pizza matters.

Peter

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »
If you pre-slice the pizza before wrapping, people should be able to re-heat individual slices.

As far as frozen pizza goes, the big guys use special freezing equipment to freeze the pizzas quickly and minimize damage. They also use additives, and, from what I understand, special cheese.  Major food science is involved and the end result is barely edible. Without the equipment and the chemistry, I don't think you stand a chance. Sorry.

The biggest barrier is the cheese. Bread freezes nicely- but cheese, not so much.  Bake up a pizza and, freeze it and then see how well it reheats.  That will tell you exactly what kind of product you'll be selling.

Does this supermarket sell freshly prepared pizza?  I went to my local grocer last night and saw about 5 people walking out with pies. Supermarkets have a lot of foot traffic and it gives people the opportunity for one stop shopping.  If you've got a connection with a supermarket owner, that's what I'd try to sell them on. Even if there wasn't the space inside the store, perhaps they'd let you set up a stand outside- for a cut of the profits.

Offline sarduyjorge

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »
No, they don't sell any cooked food at all; good point to see if they let me set up shop :chef:; thanks for the advice.
Would you think without all the basic chemicals that the pizza would hold for about 3 days?

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean about the chemicals. For frozen pizza or for fresh?  My suggestion for the supermarket would be to sell pizza freshly prepared.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »
Very GOOD point, I guess I will have to go by my oven measurement, 18", but prefer to make it 20x16 size
in my market size matters, so it still comes roughly to my 22" pie

halfsheet will fit 95% of home ovens. 18x13 or you can use 3/4 sheets but you limit your home baker crowd by them having to cut it in half
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan