Author Topic: December 2011 Monthly Challenge: "Peppers!"  (Read 8466 times)

buceriasdon

Re: December 2011 Monthly Challenge: "Peppers!"
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< what Craig said. Norma, I don't see you having problems with peppers in dough, I don't. :D
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
They all look great - I REALLY like the first one!

CL

Craig,

Thanks!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< what Craig said. Norma, I don't see you having problems with peppers in dough, I don't. :D
Don

Don,

Thank you too!  :) I have no idea how peppers in dough are going to work out, but will try.  ::)

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
i know you have thought of this already, but just make sure to decrease your water to account for the water in the peppers.  i neglected to do that and my dough turned into more of a batter, and while it made great bread, I wasn't able to make a pie out of it.   :'( looking forward to your results though!!!  :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2011, 02:05:30 PM »
i know you have thought of this already, but just make sure to decrease your water to account for the water in the peppers.  i neglected to do that and my dough turned into more of a batter, and while it made great bread, I wasn't able to make a pie out of it.   :'( looking forward to your results though!!!  :chef:

CDNpielover,

Thanks for telling me about your experiences with using peppers in dough.  I remember reading about them.  To let you know what I am planning on doing is I plan on using dried red and green pepper flakes.  I have rehydrated them and used them on dressings for pizzas before. That works okay for a quick pepper flavor.   I have no idea of how they will work in pizza dough though.  I am going to start a dough tonight if I find time.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »
great, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Offline PHXCobra

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
Has anyone tried putting freshly ground black pepper in the dough?  I am curious as to the effects of it overall.  I have a plan that I will execute probably next weekend but if fresh ground pepper will screw with the dough then I would rather save myself the effort.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »
i haven't tried black pepper, but I have put garlic powder and herbs in the dough, it worked out great!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 03:04:05 PM »
Has anyone tried putting freshly ground black pepper in the dough?  I am curious as to the effects of it overall.  I have a plan that I will execute probably next weekend but if fresh ground pepper will screw with the dough then I would rather save myself the effort.

It works well in bread. One of my favorite breads is a ficelle with diced prosciutto and cracked black pepper inside. I also make a SF sourdough-type bread with cracked black pepper and rosemary inside. I've never used finely ground pepper. It's always ranged from very coarse to simply cracked.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
The dressings for this Nancy Silverton’s “pepper dough” pizza were roasted butternut squash that was roasted with olive oil, pepper, and sea salt. The regular peppers were roasted with olive oil and a little bit of sea salt.  Fresh smoked mozzarella grated was blended into the baked butternut squash with a stick blender.  I sliced strips of smoked mozzarella and grated Fontina cheese.  A few dried peppers were rehydrated to be added as an extra dressing, to go with the peppers in the dough.

I don’t know if it was the combination of peppers in the dough with the other peppers, or the butternut squash with smoked mozzarella, or the room temperature dough fermented with fresh yeast, but I thought this pizza really tasted great.  This pizza was baked in my home oven on the stone.

Norma
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:36:44 PM by norma427 »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2011, 07:15:07 PM »
nice!  that looks great! ;D do you have any pictures of the finished crust showing the peppers in it? 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »
nice!  that looks great! ;D do you have any pictures of the finished crust showing the peppers in it?  

CDNpielover,

Thanks!  :)  Although a lot of peppers can't be seen in the crust, I did post a cut slice at Reply 96 second picture down, where some peppers can be seen. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16033.msg163796.html#msg163796

Norma

Offline cosgrojo

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »
Cobra- I use fresh ground pepper in most all my doughs. When I got into baking, I was self taught and could only ever think of it from a cooking perspective... If it receives salt, then it must receive pepper. Everything must be seasoned. I really like it, adds a depth of flavor that I have come to expect.

Norma- love it! Non traditional ingredients in pizza dough always gets my attention. It looked great, love the specks of color.

buceriasdon

« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
My breakfast for Christmas. Same day 90% hydrated AP flour with panela cheese, ham, roasted Anaheim chile with an egg, which broke. I used up the last of my raspberry chilpote sauce as garnish and extra bite. Next time I would arrange the Anaheims so they create a well for the egg and there will be a next time. Sprinkled with red pepper flakes.
Don

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »
Don, that looks awesome. Wow, this has been an incredible monthly challenge!

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

buceriasdon

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
Thanks Craig. It has been a good Monthly Challenge, very enjoyable.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
Two pizzas made yesterday with only green bell peppers.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »
Norma aka Flo, those look downright professional ;D
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
Norma aka Flo, those look downright professional ;D
Don

Don,

Lol, you didn’t forget that Flo thing from the past! :-D  Thanks for the kind words about the pizzas picture I posted looking professional.  It was only from my cheap camera. 

Your pizzas and other members pizza pictures in this challenge for this month sure are picture worthy and delicious looking too!  ;D I don’t even know a aka for you!  ::)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
Tonight's pizzas for my girlfriend and myself. Mexican all purpose flour, 58% hydration same day dough. Sauce made from fresh skinned plum tomatoes with onion, garlic and green pepper and Mexican oregano. Think salsa.  Pork loin marinated in a paste of vinegar, garlic, onion,cumin, pasilla and guajilla chile and a shot of pineapple infused tequila and then fried. Carne al pastor. Hers had sliced habenero, mine had sliced green pepper. Blend of Manchego and Oaxaca cheese. My version of pizza al pastor.
Don
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:57:31 AM by buceriasdon »