Author Topic: My dough became much better  (Read 263 times)

Offline Steellearning

• I Love Pizza!
My dough became much better
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:48:03 AM »
I was having problems with my dough being too delicate to stretch and shape. I was using a packet of dry instant yeast (about 12 grams) for 1000 grams of flour and 62% hydration. After watching videos from the Dough Dr. I reduced my yeast to 4 grams. His recipe calls for 3.50 grams. I did 24 hour fermentation in the fridge and the dough was wonderful to work with. Can't wait to try a 2 or 3 day fermentation  :D
This is the recipe I use..
My pizza dough...
1000 grams tipo 0 or tipo 00 flour = 100%
600 grams water = 60%
4 grams instant dry yeast (do not use more than this amount = 0.4% Too much yeast will make your dough way too delicate and difficult to stretch and shape)
20 grams good quality salt = 2%
20 grams olive oil = 2%
20 grams sugar = 2% (the sugar helps the browning of the crust for use in home ovens... do not use sugar when baking in a wood fired oven)

Always weigh your ingredients do not measure with Cups, Deciliters and Teaspoons etc :)

Ingredients should be at room temp before you start.

First add the water into your mixing bowl (not warm just room temp)
Add your yeast, flour, sugar and salt then mix for 2 minutes. You want the dough to be hydrated before adding your oil.

Now you can add the oil and mix for about 10-12 min. or until the dough reaches about 80-85 degrees F (thats the temp we want for a slow fermentation) Now start making your dough balls... We do not want the dough to rise just yet.

Divide your dough into 5 dough balls around 320 grams each (find a youtube video to see how this is done)

Put the dough balls into containers (lightly oiled if you like) now brush the tops with oil so they don't dry out and get crusty.

Put the containers, without their lids, into the fridge as soon possible and leave for about 2 hours before putting on the lids and sealing the containers. The idea is to get as slow a fermentation as possible so you need to cool the dough fast.

Offline PelletPizzaJoe

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My dough became much better
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:09:10 AM »
I'm glad you figured it out...

I've come to the conclusion that it varies a lot depending on many factors...  Hydration level seems to be one,  fermentation time/temperature another,  how long it sits out on the counter after taking it out of the fridge being yet another...

I'm not sure there's a magic bullet other then being consistent once you find what works for you.