Author Topic: White pepper and black pepper  (Read 1200 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
White pepper and black pepper
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:46:27 AM »
If I wanted to use white pepper in my sauce recipe, approximately how much should I use, especially considering it already contains a healthy amount of black pepper?

If I remember correctly, I am using 1/4 tsp of black pepper?  Well, regardless of what black pepper amount I am using, it is for the smaller Stanislaus Tomato Magic cans (I think it is 28oz, but not sure).

Illini and I are trying to decrypt/decipher the Little Caesar recipe.  Several ex-LC employees swore to using white pepper in the sauce, but couldn't remember the amount.  Anyhow, for white pepper enthusiasts and masters, your assistance is much appreciated.

Offline loch

• I love pizza!
Re: White pepper and black pepper
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
ihavezippers,

I'm not sure how much experience you have with white pepper, so I'll start with what little I know. It is basically more mature black pepper with the outer hull washed off (Muntok peppercorns are soaked to remove, Sarawak are rinsed under running water and better in my opinion. If you buy it pre ground in a tin you probably won't know which you are buying. I feel that the white is richer and a bit hotter than black, but if you don't buy consistently from a small supplier, that can change from batch to batch.

European and Asian recipes often call for white, but, having put some time in at restaurants, I wonder if you would find people across the country at the same franchise using black or white based on what was available at the time. Just a guess on my part.

"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
Re: White pepper and black pepper
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:15:18 PM »
Thanks Loch...I ended up using about half and half black and white pepper.  Although I have had white pepper in my spice cabinet for a couple years, I never really knew much about it.  Thanks for the information.  You're right...it packed a slightly spicier, richer pepper taste to the sauce.