Author Topic: Crisco Deep Dish Revisited!  (Read 2145 times)

Offline buzz

Crisco Deep Dish Revisited!
« on: July 25, 2005, 09:54:44 AM »
Yesterday I decided to experiment again, this time with a Crisco recipe!

2 cups KA AP
.50 cups water, plus two TBS
4 TBS Crisco
1 TBS canola oil
1 TBS extra light olive oil
1 heaping TSP yeast
.75 TSP Pacific sea salt
.75 TSP sugar

I added the salt and sugar to the flour, then the Crisco. Used my fingers to work the Crisco into the flour, until it resembled little "peas". Added the oil and proofed yeast and water mixture. Kneaded for one minute exactly. The dough was moist and pliable with a beautiful hand feel.

Let it rise for 8 hours at room temperature (very hot and very humid here). The result was a pretty wet dough, but still very pliable, so I stretched it out by hand with a little bench flour (no rolling pin this time), folded it in quarters, let it rest, and repeated.

I pressed the dough into my 9.5" pan by hand, added .50 pounds of half Stella and half Sorrento mozzarella, my usual 6-in-1 sauce and baked at 450. For some reason, this one took longer to brown (about 40 minutes).

The result was a very biscuit-like pie, but one tasting way too much (for me, anyway) of Crisco, which I just don't like. I don't taste the Crisco in a fruit pie, but for some reason the yeasted Crisco dough gives me this unappealing flavor. It was a successful experiment outside of that, and the result is a very nice texture. It's definitely worth trying for those not affected by the Crisco taste! I think next time I'll try it with the same equivalent of oil and see what happens.

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Crisco Deep Dish Revisited!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 05:43:42 PM »
Im interested to see how the all-oil recipe turns out.

Last night I made a 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter (+ 1Tbsp classico olive oil) recipe that will be for dinner tonight. Ill put up the actuall recipe if I find it at all worthy.

-Allan

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
I tried 1/4cup crisco and 1/4cup butter (using buzz's Giordano's recipe) and the result did not taste much different than the previous that used almost all crisco.

buzz, let me know how the all oil recipe works out. That is the recipe I would like to nail.

-Allan

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 04:38:22 PM »

The result was a very biscuit-like pie, but one tasting way too much (for me, anyway) of Crisco, which I just don't like. I don't taste the Crisco in a fruit pie, but for some reason the yeasted Crisco dough gives me this unappealing flavor. It was a successful experiment outside of that, and the result is a very nice texture. It's definitely worth trying for those not affected by the Crisco taste! I think next time I'll try it with the same equivalent of oil and see what happens.

My original recipe used crisco, which created a very good texture for the crust,  however, I learned I could get a similar texture and IMHO better taste by slowing adding corn oil (or even canola) when mixing.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline pam

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 10:32:56 PM »
My original recipe used crisco, which created a very good texture for the crust,  however, I learned I could get a similar texture and IMHO better taste by slowing adding corn oil (or even canola) when mixing.

Occasionally, I make a deep dish crust using leaf lard instead of crisco or oil. The texture is extraordinary, but you can feel your arteries hardening as you eat it. ;D
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:16:59 PM »
That's how you know it's good!!!!

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline pam

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 10:46:48 PM »
That's how you know it's good!!!!

Definitely good, but not good for you.
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.