Author Topic: Pizza dough, Beranbaum's Bread Bible....  (Read 1453 times)

Offline youonlylivetwice

Pizza dough, Beranbaum's Bread Bible....
« on: July 25, 2005, 01:08:32 PM »
Has anyone tried the dough recipe in The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum?  It seems really quite different than everything else I've read.
It has a 70% hydration, and for all practical purposes is not kneaded at all.  I tried it with a short rise time yesterday.  Of course it hadn't developed much flavor, and she does recommend a good, 24 hour slow cool rise.  But all the same, at 70% hydration and "stirred" for 20 seconds, no more, it is quite different.  Also unusual, she suggests partially baking the crust first, then adding the toppings.  Something about not being able to top a pizza when you bake it that just seems wrong.  Just wondering if anyone has even bothered with this angle??

thanks!

piroshok

Re: Pizza dough, Beranbaum's Bread Bible....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 07:40:34 AM »
Her surname sounds like a famous orchestra director from my old country
Anyhow she is probably talking about focaccia or even bread style flours or even French style pizzas where high hydration levels normally used
In fact I just finished a batch of Italian Pasta Dura bread with 72% hydration

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza dough, Beranbaum's Bread Bible....
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:41:23 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to try this since I have her book. I bought it for the bread part and haven't gotten to the pizza part. I would like to let members know her reason for putting the toppings on later is to compensate for not being able to attain at least 600 degrees in a home oven. She feels the toppings require the higher temp to cook properly. I'd like to hear other views on this. She also starts in a pan then goes to the stone near the end. Comments please.