Author Topic: Brick Oven blueprint  (Read 3195 times)

Offline sarduyjorge

Brick Oven blueprint
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »
Anyone has a good blueprint to make a Brick Oven, looking for it to hold at least 3 pies [20"]

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Brick Oven blueprint
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
fornobravo.com has an excellent set of free blueprints.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »
3 20" pies or 3 pies totaling 20"?

I'm guessing, since you were born and raised in NYC, you're talking about three 20" pizzas.  By the time you fit the pizzas and the wood, that's big.  For an oven that big, I would maybe think about a vaulted design, along the lines of an Alan Scott design.

http://heatkit.com/html/bakeov06.htm#LittleStream

If you look at the oven here, it's a bit similar to the vaulted oven Lombardi's uses

http://blog.scottspizzatours.com/post/2921548652/lombardis-oven

These kinds of oven take, from what I can tell, major skills to be able to build.

Is this an indoor brick oven or outdoor?  If it's outdoor, I'd consider something like this:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/foundation-first-pizza-4-1-2-a-6653.html

I think, for NY bakes, this might work pretty well.  I might lower the ceiling a bit and I'd definitely stick to firebrick for the entire interior, not just the floor.  Lastly, I'd incorporate a chimney so that it draws better.

If you've never built a WFO, you can do this, whereas, if you want to go the Alan Scott route, I think you'd need to hire someone with experience.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »
The Alan Scott is not a real good design.   It can be built by an individual, but the plan has several flaws, especially for cooking pizza.  If you want to cook 3 20" pies, you probably better stick to a deck oven.

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
Tom, if you're not a fan of Alan Scott, I'll defer to your judgement.  A deck oven, though, for this individual, is out of the question, because of the prohibitive cost of electricity and gas in the Dominican Republic.

I choose Alan Scott because that seemed like a popular approach for a vaulted oven, but if you're not a fan, hopefully someone can chime in with a better approach.  I still think, for the size Jorge needs, that vaulted is the way to go.

Offline sarduyjorge

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
Watching videos on YouTube the main waste of time spent in turning the pies 2-3 times;I wondered "what if" a Carousel floor for an oven....and behold came across Remco Ind. who has the oven....progress??? I wonder if their claim of only 35BTU per hour
Has anyone heard of this contraction??
 :chef:

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »
The AS oven is designed for bread production.  It has too much mass for home use and an awkward throat to build.

A gentleman on FB built an 80" Pompeii for commercial use and seems to be getting excellent results with it, and even though he doesn't do 20" pies in it, I am sure he could work at least 2.

If I was limited to wood for fuel and 20" pie production, I would do a transverse vault with 2 openings or even a white oven. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »
Pavesi Makes a rotating high production WFO
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »
...and behold came across Remco Ind. who has the oven....progress???

First of all, if they really wanted to sell some of these ovens, they'd show a great pizza coming out of it.  I've watched all the videos and nothing has seemed to be all that impressive.  It also doesn't help that the people shooting these videos have been really bad about not actually showing closeups of the finished pies.

I'm also incredibly skeptical when it comes to recovery time.  They talk about being able to bake one pizza after the next, but, unless I see great pizzas being put in and coming out quickly, I'm not buying it.

These are probably 14-15" pizzas and they use an infrared element at the back that extends to only half the stone. Translation: No 20" pies in this bad boy- it's a big stone, but you're limited to working within the radius of the circle.

I'd also like to know, beyond the gas usage, what kind of electricity these ovens are using.  It almost looks like the flames in the back are the only thing using gas (and pretty much all cosmetic), while everything else might be electric. That would be incredibly misleading for them to pull a stunt like that, but, from the hyped way the videos are done, I wouldn't put them past it. At a minimum, the stone has to be rotated with an electric motor- and they don't talk about that energy consumption.

Offline tommygun722

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 12:38:16 AM »
How about two separate ovens, cook four at a time?  3 small ovens, one at a time?