Author Topic: Mixing and storing blended flour  (Read 703 times)

Offline dmaxdmax

Mixing and storing blended flour
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »
Hi - In the past I've stored bread flour at room temp (70-75) for up a year in a sealed plastic container without problems.  I've always frozen whole grains on the theory that they can spoil though I don't know if it matters when dealing with a 6-12 month timeframe.

What I would like to do is mix together 75% bread flour with 25% sprouted whole wheat.  It's a ratio that produces great pizza, focaccia and breads.  I would  keep some of each flour unmixed for those cases where I don't want the blend.   I don't have room in my freezer to store this blend since my current space is filled with 20ish pounds of sprouted flour and there's no room to scale that up 4-fold.  Is it risky to store this mix at room temp or should I keep the sprouted in the freezer and use as needed?

I'm lazy and inefficient (and messy!) so I'm always looking for ways to streamline my process.  My current obsession is Struan (if you're reading this Norma I promised you this recipe ages ago but forgot - look for it sometime soon in the appropriate forum).  I freeze pre-packs of the dry grains and ingredients and pre-packs of the cooked (moist) grains.  This lets me make the bread with 2 pre-packs, 2 flours, water, honey, brown sugar and sourdough starter.  I'm going to add brown sugar to my moist pre-pack but I think honey would be too gloppy.  If I combine the flours I'll be down to 6 ingredients which is a great improvement over the original 15.

Thanks
Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mixing and storing blended flour
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »

My current obsession is Struan (if you're reading this Norma I promised you this recipe ages ago but forgot - look for it sometime soon in the appropriate forum). 

Dave

Dave,

I canít help you with your flour storage problems, but I will be watching for your Struan recipe in the future in another topic.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan