Author Topic: Pizza oven stone for BWO  (Read 1463 times)

Offline sarduyjorge

Pizza oven stone for BWO
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
Is it recommended to use 2 pizza oven stones as a floor in a Brick Wood Oven; I wish to use it because of the large seamless floor.
 :chef:

Offline shuboyje

Re: Pizza oven stone for BWO
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
I would say no.  They would have too little mass and possibly conduct heat to well.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
I agree, use fire bricks or a cast material designed for the purpose. The only time I would agree a pizza stone would a reasonable choice is if the oven is deisgned to be temporary - used a few times, and when it wears out, knocked down or rebuilt.

With a little effort, the seams will not be a problem.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
With the questions you've been asking lately I think the best thing would be to tell us the goal you want to achieve.  I assume it is a solid fueled brick oven for a commercial pizzeria?  What type of pizza are you looking to produce?  Fill us in a bit and I'm sure as a group we can help you get on a good path to success.
-Jeff

Offline sarduyjorge

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 08:13:25 PM »
Looking to start making some Napolitana's [maybe NY style] 14" & 20", looking into wood [more difficult to get the correct type], and coal [more fees-able]
Materials here in the Dominican Republic as far as heat treated brick is really a trial and error, they will sell you something that they say is for brick oven but really I would not trust the vendor; I can always purchase it in Puerto Rico and ferry it to the D.R.
In my town no one has a brick oven, regular chain...Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's
Just wondering also on the consumption [pounds of coal per hour to maintain a 700 degree ]for a baking area about 40"; height 14"

thanks for your help
 :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:17:08 PM »
14" is huge for Neapolitan pizza. I'd wager that 20" is unheard of. The door on my (Neapolitan) oven is only 17" wide.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
14 and 20 inch pies, a coal oven and 700f sounds like a recipe for new York coal oven pizza to me.  The only downside of that is the ovens for that style are not documented online at all, and I've never seen anyone build one.  I've got so ideas as I'm sure some others would, but it's a guess.  Not the way to start a commercial venture in my opinion.  No chance of quality dry wood?
-Jeff

Offline sarduyjorge

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:28:09 AM »
what would be my draw backs, what size should I consider for pies and work surface area?

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
what would be my draw backs, what size should I consider for pies and work surface area?

In my research here in the Caribbean I see that the trend is 12" for WFO pizza. You can try to market them as personal pizzas.

Edgar

pizzapan