Author Topic: winter wood oven pizza napoletana  (Read 1124 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
winter wood oven pizza napoletana
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
 posted in another section but wanted to post last nights bake.we worked in a garage with no heat. my crew and i worked a winery.the dough was proofed in their dinning room.it took 5 hours to get it to a 70 degree external temperature.
  i used my vertical cutter mixer 20 pounds of flour three pounds of old dough 2.5 % salt, 2 ounces wet yeast,12 pounds of water.mixed 15 seconds,rested 20 minutes mixed 30 more seconds. one hour bulk 24 hour cold rise in 9.5 ounce balls.
  the dough cooked lite airy and tender. even though we were working in a 30 degree garage.the wine kept us warm and on task :).
  since Marcos post on flour and bitterness we used this event to practice with minimum flour during our stretching and loading on to the peel.we had nice white bottom with the normal opened holes and some color from char. since the dough was a little cool i ran my floor at750 degrees to assure a full bake. i was getting 90 second pizzas. given the fact that the dough was not over proofed we got away with minimal flour. as the weather warms lower hydration might be necessary for reducing the need for heavy flour usage. pictures of our fun night.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:09:10 PM by thezaman »

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: winter wood oven pizza napoletana
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
Those pies look awesome Larry.  Looks like a lot of fun as well.  What cheese is on that last pie?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »
 wow, you scare me,i cannot believe you notice that! the last pie of the night for me and my help  was made with mozzarella di buffala that my supplier ships in weekly.i also cranked the oven up so as not to over melt the cheese.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »
wow, you scare me,i cannot believe you notice that! the last pie of the night for me and my help  was made with mozzarella di buffala that my supplier ships in weekly.i also cranked the oven up so as not to over melt the cheese.

That last one, one of the best you've made if not the best.  Looks F'ing amazing to me. Sorry, excuse my Italian.

Was this pie better than the others? If so why, was it just the buffala? 

So 24h dough made with mother dough (CY) and more CY.  Was the crumb any different than your usual pies?  If so, what are you attributing the differences to, the vertical cutter mixer?   And would you say the bake time on this one was still 90sec or shorter bc of the higher temps?

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
Wanted to post last nights bake. . . .

Nice pizzas and family, thank you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
 yes, it was quite tasty. i got the oven up to where the smoke rolls across the opening. probably a under 60 second bake.the cheese adds a special tang to the pizza.the other thing that made it taste better to me was the addition of a little extra sauce.i am a sauce freak,cannot have to much. i use cento which i drain and use the extra liquid in my  spaghetti sauce, so the cento is nice and pulpy . i cheat and add a pinch of sugar and squirt of evoo along with sea salt.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
 thank you.the young lady stretching dough is my daughter. the other two are employees that like to get away from the every day tasks that they are responsible for.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
the wine kept us warm and on task :)

My secret too - for staying on task anyway - don't usually need any extra warmth down here.

I agree with Chau, that last pie is a doozie - but then all of your daughter's pizzas look incredible.

CL
Pizza is not bread.