Author Topic: Turoni's Pizza  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Miss Mare E

• I Love Pizza!
    • C Bar D
Turoni's Pizza
« on: July 28, 2005, 05:29:42 PM »
Hi all!

I'm from Indiana & there is a family Pizza place called Turoni's that is to die for!  The crust is perfect, sauce spicey, they only use fresh toppings & sliced cheese.  It's very similiar to Shakey's but much better.  I literally drive 500 mi to get one, have them on speed dial so it's ready when I get to town. 

Not obsessed am I?  So has anyone heard or tired one?  I would give my right arm for the recipe.  I'm trying the dough tomorrow & can't wait! 
You can tell a gelding, ask a stallion....but you must discuss it with a MARE!

Offline Miss Mare E

• I Love Pizza!
    • C Bar D
Re: Turoni's Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 09:53:20 PM »
Woo Hoo last nite the recipe was a success!  Hubby didnt let it sit long enough for pics.  But other than center of crust being a tad soft was great!  I couldnt find bread flour in local store & didnt have time to go to "town" so I opt for Martha White crispy mix.  But I prepared it according to the directions here. 

I used Paul Newman's spag sauce (ok lame but it was the right color) & added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.  It was close, but not quite Turoni's...still needed a "bite"  I just cant seem to put my finger or taste buds on the exact ingredient I am missing?  Do know I have got to find the right cheese!  Its gotta be sliced, not the shredded stuff. 

I'm slowly reading thro all the posts & my head is spinning!  Gotta start paying more attn when I'm in Kroger for sure!  I'm thinking once I have it "mastered" (chuckling) to try portabella, ham, bacon & spicey sausage.  Making note to get TUMS too. 

Thanks to the "pizza powers to be" for this site!  I may find a decent pizza yet in GA!  :-*
You can tell a gelding, ask a stallion....but you must discuss it with a MARE!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Turoni's Pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 11:56:27 AM »
Marry sounds like you are on you way to great homemade pizza.  Publix I think  carries Bread flour.  Wally-World did until a few weeks ago then they stopped.

Randy

pizzapan