Author Topic: dough ball problem question  (Read 2146 times)

Offline finfan

dough ball problem question
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
Hi guys
  I usually make a few dough balls at a time, and refrigerate the ones I'm not gonna use right away.
My problem occurs when I take a ball from the fridge and let it warm up before stretching it. It forms a somewhat hard "crust" on top of the ball. Is there a way to avoid this or maybe prevent it? I brush a little olive oil on top just before covering it to go in the fridge, and in the fridge it stays tightly covered. Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: dough ball problem question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »
Hi guys
  I usually make a few dough balls at a time, and refrigerate the ones I'm not gonna use right away.
My problem occurs when I take a ball from the fridge and let it warm up before stretching it. It forms a somewhat hard "crust" on top of the ball. Is there a way to avoid this or maybe prevent it? I brush a little olive oil on top just before covering it to go in the fridge, and in the fridge it stays tightly covered. Thanks!

finfan,

Do you keep your dough ball covered during the warm-up?  My dough balls in plastic containers stay covered with a lid during the warm-up.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline finfan

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:28:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Norma
 No, actually I have been removing the lid thinking it may warm up faster that way, but I'll definitely try keeping it covered next time to see what happens. Thanks again
-Wood

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Norma
 No, actually I have been removing the lid thinking it may warm up faster that way, but I'll definitely try keeping it covered next time to see what happens. Thanks again
-Wood

finfan,

I think most members on the forum do keep their dough balls covered while they are warming up.  I can understand the dough would form a skin if they aren't covered.

Let us know how you make out if you keep the dough balls covered during the warm-up.

Norma

Offline finfan

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
Will do, Norma    thanks again

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
Finfan,

Another way to get them up to room temp and avoiding the crust is to take them out of the container, place them on a lightly floured surface, covered with a damp tea towel.

Works like a charm.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline finfan

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
Thanks Essen
 Yeah makes sense...I assume the damp tea towel keeps the dough from drying out and forming the "skin". Appreciate the help    :)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
Finfan;
The easiest way to correct the condition which you describe is to oil the dough balls and then place them into individual plastic bags. Bread bags are an excellent choice. DO NOT tightly close the bread bags, but instead, twist the open end to close it, forming a pony tail, then tuck the pony tail under the dough ball as you place it into the fridge. To use the dough, simple remove a dough ball from the fridge and allow it to temper AT room temperature for about 1.5-hours, then turn the dough ball out of the bag into a bowl of dusting flour and begin opening the dough ball into a pizza skin. This process works perfectly all the time.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
The easiest way to correct the condition which you describe is to oil the dough balls and then place them into individual plastic bags. Bread bags are an excellent choice. DO NOT tightly close the bread bags, but instead, twist the open end to close it, forming a pony tail, then tuck the pony tail under the dough ball as you place it into the fridge. To use the dough, simple remove a dough ball from the fridge and allow it to temper AT room temperature for about 1.5-hours, then turn the dough ball out of the bag into a bowl of dusting flour and begin opening the dough ball into a pizza skin. This process works perfectly all the time.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

I agree with what you said about using plastic bags! I do that for my market doughs balls all the time.  Great method!  ;D

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 12:52:39 AM »
I use plastic round bowls with lids to cover the dough inside.I never get a skin problem even if I leave the bowl next to the stove for 1-2 hours while the stove heats up,before use.I once took the bowl lid off and the dough formed a hard skin on the outside,while it sat next to the hot stove.Was not intentional.Had to throw the dough away.

-Bill

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:06:15 AM »
I once took the bowl lid off and the dough formed a hard skin on the outside,while it sat next to the hot stove.Was not intentional.Had to throw the dough away.

I've had this happen to containers with their lids on in a warm oven.  Regardless of the cause, if the dough ever does develop a hard skin, you can usually salvage it by making sure the lid is on tight and putting it in a cool place for a bit. The water in the dough will then rehydrate the skin.

Offline cosgrojo

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:03:49 AM »
Here's a little trick I developed... I have a fairly cold kitchen, and have to wait a lot longer to get the dough ball up to temp. So what I do is take a coffee cup 3/4 full of water and microwave it until it boils. Keep the water in the microwave and place dough ball in microwave with the water. If you choose to leave it uncovered, the humidity from the water keeps the skin moist, no crusting effect. Also warms the ball up evenly and quickly. Also keeps dough ball evenly hydrated, seems to soften up the ball a bit and making it easier to stretch.  This is also a great technique if you had a stretching mishap and need to reball the dough and you still want to use it. It relaxes the ball faster than just on the counter. 

Hope this helps...

Josh

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »
Josh,

That's an awesome idea.  The microwave door seals well and the environment heats up easily as described, next time I'm in a hurry, will definitely try, even though I live in South Alabama and winter is hardly an impediment to life. (damn near hit 80 deg. F. today)

Ron

Offline ercrvs24

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
When you see it starting to dry out, mist with water bottle.....easy