Author Topic: cheese crisis  (Read 2216 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
cheese crisis
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »
My local WF had a fairly dependable supply of Garofalo Buffalo Mozz up until a couple of months ago when they suddenly had nothing.  then they got the Columbian Buff mozz that was pretty good but maybe not quite as good for a short time.  Then nothing!  i asked about it and they said it is a seasonal product.  Don't they know it's high pizza season in Alabama? 

i've been searching for an on-line solution but most have super high shipping rates.  i found igourmet, where the shipping was reasonable.  i've gotten both of these there:
unfortunately, the big square box was a couple of weeks out of date.  they immediately replaced it with the other one - both shipped overnight - but they were all pretty mushy and way softer and wetter than what i'm used to.  decent flavor but it didn't act right on the pizza in WFO. 

anyone have any other sources i might try? 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: cheese crisis
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »
Bill - This is such a huge issue for me too. The Cilento I usually get (when I can find it), is now 9.99 each - and it is always fall-apart mushy. I tried the frozen Mandara and it was awful, a giant block of hard mush. I think Matt might have a good source - I am thinking of PMing him myself.

John
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:30:48 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
If you have a Costco in your area you might want to give them a try. The one in my area sells the Garofalo buff mozz($13 for 1.1lbs). I think I remember Craig saying he buys his from Costco as well.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
Yes, I joined just for that reason but ended up buying plenty of other stuff there as well. Here, at least, they have all sorts of very good cheese at really good prices.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
If you have a Costco in your area you might want to give them a try. The one in my area sells the Garofalo buff mozz($13 for 1.1lbs). I think I remember Craig saying he buys his from Costco as well.

David - Is that the Waltham Costco or the north shore one?

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »
David - Is that the Waltham Costco or the north shore one?

John

Waltham. It's right across from where the vegetable walk-in refrigerator is. My friend who works there told me Wednesdays are they shipment days. They always run out of the GBM. I haven't been there in a couple months but I can check for you if you want, it's down the street from my house.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »
Waltham. It's right across from where the vegetable walk-in refrigerator is. My friend who works there told me Wednesdays are they shipment days. They always run out of the GBM. I haven't been there in a couple months but I can check for you if you want, it's down the street from my house.

Thanks David - I just may head over there after work tomorrow.

And Bill - Thanks for posting this topic, as it put me on the lead for mozz!

John

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »
Anyone know of or have tried to get American made Buffalo mozz?

I found a source in Vermont that claims to be the only cheese maker in the US using buffalo milk but man they are expensive!  10 dollar handling fees, 40 dollar min order etc. etc. etc....  I would sure like to find a good American artisan cheese maker that was reliable and not crazy expensive. 

Any ideas?

Scot

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »

I found a source in Vermont that claims to be the only cheese maker in the US using buffalo milk but man they are expensive!  10 dollar handling fees, 40 dollar min order etc. etc. etc....  I would sure like to find a good American artisan cheese maker that was reliable and not crazy expensive. 

Any ideas?

Scot

I tried some from a dairy in WI, but it was not very good:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12755.msg123155.html#msg123155

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 06:39:35 PM »

Any ideas?

Scot

If the place in VT is the same place I called they don't make BM anymore. IDK why they haven't updated their site.

Offline NoraSP

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
I read on a blog that the Garofalo Mozzarella cheese sold in a tub is floated in whey... does anybody know if this is correct??? My son has dairy allergy. I'm looking to try this cheese on a pizza. Thx

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
So I tried the Costco and they didn't have buffalo mozzarella. I've been using fresh cow mozz over the last few months and even making it with local raw milk, but I'm still missing buffalo. We went to WF today and they had it again!  It wasn't the Columbian kind from before but another Campana brand I haven't seen.  The bad part is it was $8 for 125g!  I bought one to try but it's going to have to be pretty good. I guess that's not even enough for 2 pies.  Anybody know Tre Stelle?
On another cheese front, I have Grande Fior di Latte mozzarella To use this weekend at an event. I've never used this cheese. Does it work well in WFO?
Thanks,
Bill

Offline NoraSP

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 12:53:30 AM »
I also found buffalo moz cheese at whole foods and very expensive... but worth every penny. I now use 3 or 6 months manchego sheep’s milk cheese... also at whole foods... for pizza toppings... if I have buffalo maz cheese, I also add it. My kids luv to eat the moz cheese straight from the container. Yummy!!!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
i tried the new Buffalo from WF last night and it was pretty dang good.  it melted really well and tasted great.  super expensive though.  i'll keep hoping that something else becomes available here.

pizzapan