Author Topic: best pizza stone for crisp/burnt bottom  (Read 3001 times)

Offline ccolton

best pizza stone for crisp/burnt bottom
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »
Hi all,

I have a wolf oven and a Williams and Sonoma pizza stone.  Top temp is 550 degrees which I use on the convection setting.  I can get a very nice brown crust, but would like the bottom a little darker and possibly with some very dark or burned spots - something like you might see in a wood-fired oven that cooks at a much higher temp.

I have read about different stones here but cannot seem to find a post that is looking for the same thing that I am.

Any suggestions for the best stone?

Thanks,

Chris

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: best pizza stone for crisp/burnt bottom
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
If you like a darker bottom crust, you may want to consider switching to a cast iron plate rather than a stone.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »
+1 steel plate

Offline ccolton

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  Where can i get a steel or cast iron plate?  what specifications should i look for?  thickness, type of steel; etc.

I am in Wilmington, DE if you happen to know a place close by.

Thanks again for the fast reply

Chris

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »
The Lodge cast iron pan gets very good reviews :    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Pizza-Black/dp/B0000E2V3X/?tag=pizzamaking-20
To me a bit overpriced but people do swear by them. Also check your yellow pages for Metal Suppliers, all major cities will have at least one. The minimum thickness for decent results is 1/4", doubling that is better but you do get into problems with weight. What you want a quote on is the cost, for example, a 16" x 16" x 3/8" thick hot rolled steel plate. Don't bother with cold roll steel, it's more expensive and not worth the added cost.
Be sure and measure your oven to make sure it will fit. Keep us posted please.
Don

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »

Offline ccolton

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
That's great!  Thanks for the replies and the links.  Looks like the perfect Christmas present - for me!

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:40:41 AM »
The potential for burnt bottoms (aka char) is in direct proportion to a stone's thermal mass. A 1/8" thick cast iron pizza pan will only produce marginally more char than a Williams Sonoma stone. Chris, if you really want to get into wood fired oven levels of char, your best option is thick steel plate- 1/2" and above. 3/4", at 550, will match wood fired oven char to a T, but it's so heavy that you have to build a shelf for it and it's close to impossible to remove from the oven to bake other things.  1/2" is not that light, but it's light enough to sit on a shelf and will give you coal oven char, which, if you were looking at a clock, and your current char is 12, and wood fired oven char is 6, coal oven char would be about a 5.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:17:47 AM by scott123 »

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
Bayou Classic may be a better price. But I stay away from the Chinese stuff.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:08:50 AM by Pizzamaster »

Offline ccolton

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the note.  Do you have a vendor from whom I can order the steel plate?  On the Wolf over we have, the griddle is 1/2 inch rolled steel.  Is this what we're talking about?

A long time ago, I purchased 1/4 inch clay tiles - $1 each - and they gave a great, dark and crisp crust.  I have not been able to find this again.  They also would not do what I think a steel plate will.

Thanks again.

Chris

Offline Hdale85

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
You'd just have to find a local metal supplier that would be willing to sell you a cut piece of steel.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the note.  Do you have a vendor from whom I can order the steel plate?  On the Wolf over we have, the griddle is 1/2 inch rolled steel.  Is this what we're talking about?

A long time ago, I purchased 1/4 inch clay tiles - $1 each - and they gave a great, dark and crisp crust.  I have not been able to find this again.  They also would not do what I think a steel plate will.

Thanks again.

Chris

Chris,

Google some local metal shops in your area.

They should have a steel plate for you and will most definitely cut it to your size specifications. Ordering a steel plate online where the price might be cheaper, it'll be the shipping that'll kill you.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline ccolton

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
Hi Essen/Mike,

I know of a place close by - is there a type of steel that I should order?

Thanks,

Chris

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
See my Reply 5, hot roll steel is what you want.
Don

Offline ccolton

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
Thanks, Don.

pizzapan