Author Topic: Dried garlic in pizza sauce  (Read 2370 times)

Offline communist

Dried garlic in pizza sauce
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
I have been making my pizza sauce from 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes.  I add a scant teaspoon of garlic powder to the sauce, along with one teaspoon of salt, dried onion, and oregano.  I love the smell of garlic sauteing in oil.  I do not like the smell of dried garlic powder.  Am I using a bad powder ( I think it is a generic )  Are there powders that some prefer?  I am happy with my finished sauce, but I always feel a little funny adding the powder when it faintly resembles the smell of fresh garlic.  Thanks  Mark

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dried garlic in pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:03:08 PM »
Nothing can really replace the flavor and aroma of fresh garlic. Do you have trouble finding fresh garlic? Sometimes grocery stores will sell fresh garlic that has been peeled, which is very convenient without losing the freshness of the garlic.

To peel garlic quickly, place a heavy chef's knife over the bulb on a cutting board, and whack the knife with the palm of your hand so the garlic skin splits. Then grab the garlic by the top, stem end (just the tip), hold the bulb above the board, and gently tap the body of the garlic with the wide side of the knife. The bulb will fall right out of the skin. Sometime the bulb is broken, but it will still release from the skin easily.

John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »
I agree,there is not going to be a powder that can replace the fresh garlic flavor and aroma.

I do this now,I use 2-3 cloves(depends on size and how much I can get out of it) of garlic for my sauce and its amazing.I do have a very good brand of garlic powder I can use,but I sometimes only add that to the pizza after it comes out of the oven.Generic brands of garlic powder,I have not found one that I actually like.They all seem to smell and taste burnt/bitter.

I have tried the garlic powder I like best,into the sauce and its OK,but fresh is way better.

:)
-Bill

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:43:20 AM »
Fresh garlic is one of those ingredients that, because so many NY pizzerias opt for powder, isn't necessarily authentic, but it's superior. Instead of representing NY pizza as a whole, it represents great NY pizza.

Cold fermentation is the same way- not generally canon, but so superior that the home baker is silly not to incorporate it.

Online Guts

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »
we have a little local grocery stores that has a bulk dry herb section where you can buy by the ounce. They have dried garlic chips, which are approximately the same size as your dried onion, I've used these dried garlic chips as they call him in breads pizza dough but have not tried them in anything wet such as sauce. When used in the bread or pizza dough. I generally like the flavor. It seems to be fairly mild depending on how much you use. I don't know if this what you're looking for. Not but it is not I'd throw my two cents in.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline communist

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Perhaps I should saute' a couple cloves of garlic in a tablespoon of oil, and add that to my uncooked 6-in-1.  I will probably let it sit for at least a day to get the garlic flavor throughout.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:51:25 PM »
communist,

I donít know if you want to try this, but I use a garlic press (for garlic cloves), and add the minced garlic to olive oil and also herbs. (dried oregano, a few red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning dried) and then microwave in increments of about 1 minute then for a couple of times for 30 seconds, then add the oil and herb mixture to my pizza sauce for a day.  If you ever do decide to try this method, just be careful because the olive oil does boil in the microwave.

Norma
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:27:28 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:06:30 PM »
communist,

I donít know if you want to try this, but I use a garlic press (for garlic cloves), and add the minced garlic to olive oil and also herbs. (dried orgeano, a few red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning dried).and then microwave in increments of about 1 minute then for a couple of times for 30 seconds, then add the oil and herb mixture to my pizza sauce for a day.  If you ever do decide to try this method, just be careful because the olive oil does boil in the microwave.

Norma

That gave me a flashback from prison. We used to make pizza out of flour tortilla shells and olive oil from commissary. We would take 3 tortilla shells and wet one side with water and stick them together, or you could use more for thick crust. We then would brush both sides with olive oil and stick in microwave to get them crispy. Then top with ketchup and spices or if it was spaghetti night, save the sauce. Then top with "power cheese" (mozzarella in a bag that never spoils) and pepperoni (all from commissary).

Offline communist

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »
Thanks Norma for the tip.  I think I will try that.  Mark

Offline pmoores

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
I recently found a bottle of freeze dried garlic each peice large enough to pick up individually, not a fine powder. It smells strong and if you leave one in your mouth for a few seconds, its as powerful as fresh. I presume they chop it, let it sit just long enough for the enzymes to mix to give the taste then flash dehyrate in bulk holding the flavour.

Only can find it at one specific independent grocery store. Makes a very good emergency substitute if you dont have any fresh around.

Btw, in the salad section I also grabbed freeze dried oregano and basil. All 3 are far superior your standard bottled spice.

Im sure fresh is the best but i hate how ill buy a standard chunk of random fresh spice, use some then have to throw out the other 3/4 unused.

Offline BBH

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
You can also shift to Granulated garlic.  Much better in my opinion than powder if not going fresh.  Powder to me imparts an off flavor.

Another option is to puree fresh garlic.  Nobody will see garlic in the sauce (like a minced or chopped) and at the right percentages it will flavor up very nicely and more consistently then minced.  I like a hint of garlic, just below where it can be identified and is used as a background flavor in my sauces.

You can puree fresh garlic in a food processor by pealing and adding to the processor, add pure olive oil @ about 5%-10% of the total mix and puree until is it nice and smooth (but don't liquid it).  You can start with 1/2tsp per 1/2 #10 volume to test it out.  Go stronger if you want but wait at least 12 hours and taste before adding more.  The flavor builds over time.

BBH

Offline communist

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful information everybody.  Norma, I like your fresh garlic in heated oil tip.  I used it tonight, and it was superior to my funny smelling garlic powder.   Mark

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful information everybody.  Norma, I like your fresh garlic in heated oil tip.  I used it tonight, and it was superior to my funny smelling garlic powder.   Mark

Mark,

Thanks for saying you liked the fresh garlic in the heated oil tip.  :) I was taught by a pizza operator to sautť the garlic with onions, then add the herbs in olive oil in a pan on the stove, but found it easier to just microwave. 

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for saying you liked the fresh garlic in the heated oil tip.  :) I was taught by a pizza operator to sautť the garlic with onions, then add the herbs in olive oil in a pan on the stove, but found it easier to just microwave. 

Norma

Norma,

Thanks for posting those sauce making tips. I have never tried the microwave,I have been cooking the pressed garlic in oil,and then adding it to my sauce.I do want to say a big Thanks to Scott123 about using pressed garlic,at the time when I spoke to him,I did not even know what a garlic press was.We were talking about meatballs,and He told me what it was and I bought one.Now,its all I use to get the fresh garlic ready for sauce.Now I read this idea of yours and Im going to try some new stuff.

As you say,always learning! I would not be anywhere today if it was not for many of you great folks on this forum,to explain what to do,and go from there.Chau is another person I cant thank enough.I would not have learned about dough as fast as I did,if it wasnt for him to guide me.

:)

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
If anyone wants to try Novemberís sauce #2 it is here at Reply 7 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg32136.html#msg32136  PizzaHog started a thread about Novembers sauce at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8834.msg76603.html

I have also tried Novemberís method with 6 in 1 sauce and it is very good in my opinion.

Norma