Author Topic: Ultragrain + Caputo?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline modchef

Ultragrain + Caputo?
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
First post!  I've been spending a ton of time reading through these forums though, you guys are awesome  ;D

Anyways, I've been working for some time with a recipe using 75% Ultragrain and 25% Eagle Mills Organic Bread Flour.  Rest of the formula is:
IDY     0.67%            
E.V.O.O.   8.86%
Water 70.76%            
Salt   1.71%

We're doing a 20 minute autolyse, 8 minutes of mixing followed by a 20 minute rest, then portioning and retarding 24 hours in the walkin.

I'm about to get my hands on some Caputo Red (yippee!).  Have any of you guys ever tried a Caputo + Ultragrain mix?  I'm thinking I'll start with a similar formula, maybe boost the hydration a little bit depending on how it looks.  Any tips or suggestions?

~Nate

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ultragrain + Caputo?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »
Hello Nate - What is the final product in terms of shape and style? Form the looks of it you are doing a sicilian style pan bake, with an extremely high proportion of oil. Is there a particular quality to the dough you are looking to change?

From what I can see, Ultragrain is a refined flour that has the bran and germ included - but still retains refined flour performance. Are you mixing in a higher protein flour for gluten performance?

John

Offline modchef

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »
It's actually most similar to a new york style pizza, though I know the olive oil content is high...something else I'm playing around with.  You're exactly right, the bread flour is being added to help increase gluten performance, although we are using the "ultragrain hard" which according to conagra has a min. 12% protein.

I'm losing my source for the eagle mills bread flour, so I'm taking the opportunity to completely evaluate and experiment with the formulation.  I think this recipe is decent considering the high whole wheat content, providing good extensibility and consistency, but I think the flavor, crumb, and crispness can all improve. 

Aside from staying true to a largely whole grain recipe, I plan on tinkering with pretty much every other aspect.  I'll start another post with my results once I start playing around.  The pics are from a a recent pie with the current recipe...sorry about the quality, I'll get better at it  :D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »
modchef,

Your pie looks very nice!  :)

I only played around with the Ultragrain flour and Dark Rye flour two times so far, but want to try the Ultragrain flour more.  If you are interested these are the pictures at Reply 25 and continuing pictures of my second attempt with Ultragrain and Dark Rye flour http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16823.msg164271.html#msg164271

Your Ultragrain with Caputo sounds interesting.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »
Your pizza looks excellent. You may try allowing the dough to rest for 2 hours (or more) before it goes into the walk-in. This will help with flavor. Secondly, that amount of oil at that hydration may actually hinder crispness. Try reducing one or both. And lastly, there really is no reason why you cannot bump the salt to 2% (or more). Salt in this range will not hinder yeast activity at the level of IDY you are using, but will improve the flavor - especially with whole grain flour. I might even bring it to 2.5% if I were experimenting, but 2% is more in line with standard bread baking.

I do not think Caputo will add anything to this recipe or formulation, but it might be interesting to see what it does. But the protein is probably the same as your Ultragrain Hard.

John
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:33:54 AM by dellavecchia »

pizzapan