Author Topic: The best brand and where to buy?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Liquify

The best brand and where to buy?
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
I am looking for some 00 flour I can buy online. I am wanting what you guys believe to be the best quality.

I am also looking for some San Marzano tomato sauce/pizza sauce. I am wanting what you guys believe to be the best quality.

I am also looking for some fresh mozzarella cheese balls. I am wanting what you guys believe to be the best quality.

If I could buy all of these from the same place online (like Amazon) then that would be great because there isn't much around me locally.
Sweet Lou's Pizza

^^That's the dream...^^

Offline TXCraig1

Re: The best brand and where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
What sort of oven do you have? Knowing will help with a flour recommendation.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Liquify

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
I don't have a brick oven or any "professional" oven. I just have a normal oven which has a top temperature of 500 degrees fahrenheit.

I still want to experiment with 00 flour even if I don't have the extremely high temperature oven.
Sweet Lou's Pizza

^^That's the dream...^^

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »
I understand. Why not start with the gold standard - Caputo. I think you'll have more info available here on Caputo than any other "00". The "00 Chef's" flour that comes in the 1kg red bag is the exact same flour as the "00 Pizzeria" flour that comes in the 25kg blue bag. That's what I use and couldn't be happier. You can buy it all day long on ebay or amazon.

For tomatoes, I use Cento Italian (35oz can). Very good (better than almost all SMs I've tried), inexpensive, and widely available.

For fresh mozz balls (water packed), I use Galbani Mozzarella Fresca (from my local grocery store - I think this is pretty widely available) or Garofalo Mozzarella di bufala campana (from Costco). Both have excellent performance and taste. Freshness is so important here. I'd try what is available locally before I looked for something that has to be shipped. Check the date on the package. For cow's milk mozz, try to get at least two weeks of remaining date on the package. Three or four is better. For buffalo, often you're luck to find a package with a week.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan