Author Topic: Flour Question  (Read 308 times)

Offline DystantThundr

• I Love Pizza!
Flour Question
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
For some reason, I keep our flour in the refrigerator. Wondering if you all think that would have any effect on the rise?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Flour Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »
Yes, to the extent that your final dough temperature is cooler thus affecting yeast activity until the temperature normalizes. Not because of any physical changes to the flour itself.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Flour Question
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »
And, if you can take it to the next step and freeze the flour for a minimum of 30-days you will find that the flour will remain bug free almost indefinitely when stored in a suitable container at room temperature, but that does not preclude the flour from oxidizing and the fat in the flour from turning rancid (a major problem with whole-wheat flour), which can have an influence on both dough performance and finished crust flavor. To get around this problem refrigerated storage of the flour is recommended after it has been subjected to frozen storage. When I was actively engaged in baking research we used to store the flour in the freezer for 45-days and then transfer it to the cooler for long term storage where we worked from the flour in our long term testing (sometimes over a year or more) without any observed variations in the performance of the flour. I agree, refrigerated storage of the flour doesn't hurt in the least bit.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor