Author Topic: canadave's recipe  (Read 429 times)

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
canadave's recipe
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »
Hi folks, hope I can get some advice from those familiar with canadaveís dough recipe. Made it last night to the T and double Peterís conversion to make 2 16Ē pies. I divided the dough into 2 then 1 of the 2 into 2 equal parts. I am going to make 1 X 16 and 2 smaller versions. I didnít use the cookie containers as Dave has suggested for the cold ferment but used plastic lidded containers I had on hand. The large ball was in a very large container but the 2 were in smaller containers suitable to at least accommodate double in volume but not much more.

I checked to see how things were going this morning (10 hrs. after balling) and the dough has expanded in the 2 smaller containers to a point where it is hitting the roof of the lid. I expected some lift but not that much. Now what? I didnít touch it and waiting for some advise here on what to do. This is my 1st experience with this recipe but need a recovery plan.  Obviously I canít ignore this and my 1st thought was to reball when I get home tonite and use larger containers.
Anyone else experience this? Perhaps the qty. of yeast should be reduced on the next attempt. It seems a lot for a cold ferment but as a newbie, what do I know. 7 grs. for 2 16" pies.

Advise members? 

Canadave's NY Style Dough Recipe (16-inch)
100%, High-gluten flour (KASL), 16 oz. (453.6 g.), 3 3/4 c.
64.1%, Water (tap, cool), 10.25 oz. (290.7 g.), 1 1/4 c.
0.78%, IDY (instant dry yeast), 0.12 oz. (3.54 g.), 1 1/4 t.
1.31%, Fine sea salt, 0.21 oz. (5.98 g.), 1 t.
1.32%, Sugar, 0.21 oz. (5.98 g.), 1 1/2 t.
4.63%, Oil, 0.74 oz. (21 g.), 1 1/2 T.
Total dough weight = 27.54 oz. (780.8 g.)
Thickness Factor (TF) = 0.137
Carl

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: canadave's recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »
You can try degassing and/or reballing it at least 8 hours before using it.  How long was the intended fermentation time?  Back when I was doing overnight refrigerated ferments 0.25% IDY always seemed like plenty of yeast.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
carl333,

What you experienced with Canadave's (Dave's) dough recipe appears to be quite normal. When I tried his recipe some time ago, I, too, got a fast rise--one that was accompanied by a lot of bubbling. You can see this in Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2238.msg19652.html#msg19652. And, if you look at the following Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2238.msg19660.html#msg19660, you will see that Dave confirmed my results.

In your case, as Jonas suggested, it will perhaps not hurt to punch the dough balls down, reform them, and then try to keep them as cool as possible until you are ready to use them. You should also be able to use the dough balls sooner than what you might have originally intended.

If you are interested, I showed several stages of Canadave's dough for instructional purposes starting at Reply 9 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19565.html#msg19565. Note, in particular, Canadave's comments at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19796.html#msg19796. And you can see the final results at Reply 33 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2175.msg19801.html#msg19801.

Maybe you have already seen it but there are several threads and posts about Canadave's recipe all collected in one place, in Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg110289.html#msg110289.

Peter

Offline carl333

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
Thanks Peter/Jonas for your reply. Peter you amaze me with your ability to bring important reading to just about any query to the forefront....How do you do it? I can't wait to read more of what you posted.

Jonas, to answer your question, it was never my intention to make a quick workable dough. I was thinking of a slow 4 day ferment to get max flavor from this recipe which is important to me besides that pillowy crust edge. I think you guys call it a cornichon or something like that as I recall. At least I now know I can make pizza 24 hrs. after balling with this recipe.

4. Remove dough from mixer and divide into two equal balls. Spray the inside of your two metal cookie tins with cooking spray, place balls in the tins, and then leave closed tins inside the refrigerator for at least 24-48 hours (a 4-6 day rise is ideal, to allow fermentation for fullest taste; however, dough can be used after a 24-hour rise with minimally acceptable taste results).

I guess i'll just reball tonite after work and put in larger containers. Somehow I have a feeling on day 4, I'm going to see 4 fold increase in size from what I started out with. Just guessing though. If this does happen, what would these effects (fast rise/great volume) have on the final product as opposed to a slower rise in 4 days and with a volume increase of say 50%? 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:25:28 AM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
Peter you amaze me with your ability to bring important reading to just about any query to the forefront....How do you do it? I can't wait to read more of what you posted.
carl333,

I used to get asked that question a lot in the past but not so much recently. But the answer has to do with mostly memory, being able to use the forum's search features most effectively, and my duties as a Moderator. Like most people, I remember things that most interest me, and that makes it easier for me to use the forum's search tools to find things. I know how I write and the kinds of words I use and that allows me to find my own posts quite quickly--sometimes I only need a word or two in the search box. I also remember misspellings of members and use them in the search tools to find their posts more quickly. But a big factor is knowing how to use the forum's search tools. I have been doing this for over ten years, so experience is a big factor. As a Moderator, I also look at a lot of posts. One of my duties is to look at every new post. I do this to be sure that the posts are in the right place in the forum's indexing system and that they otherwise comply with the forum's rules and policies. That task alone takes a lot of time, and because of the high post rate it has to be done every day to avoid falling too far behind. We currently log in over a 1000 new posts a week, and somewhere around 55,000-60,000 posts a year. Obviously, I cannot read every post for complete comprehension without becoming a basket case but I do read a lot of the posts that most interest me. And that helps me remember things later on when I am trying to locate certain posts using the forum's search tools. 

Most members can do about 80 percent of what I do if they learn how to use the forum's search tools. But that is easier said than done. It also takes practice, experience and time.

Peter

Offline carl333

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »
Peter, Then I graciously tip my hat off to you and the other forum members in keeping this site in form. Never realized the infastructure and behind the scenes work involved to keep this forum going.

Perhaps one day I will have enough experience and knowhow to help out here. Right now just call me a sponge. Talking about sponges, bigas, preferments, starters...another day!  ;D Not there as yet but really anxious to try.
Carl

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
carl333,

I used to get asked that question a lot in the past but not so much recently. But the answer has to do with mostly memory, being able to use the forum's search features most effectively, and my duties as a Moderator. Like most people, I remember things that most interest me, and that makes it easier for me to use the forum's search tools to find things. I know how I write and the kinds of words I use and that allows me to find my own posts quite quickly--sometimes I only need a word or two in the search box. I also remember misspellings of members and use them in the search tools to find their posts more quickly. But a big factor is knowing how to use the forum's search tools. I have been doing this for over ten years, so experience is a big factor. As a Moderator, I also look at a lot of posts. One of my duties is to look at every new post. I do this to be sure that the posts are in the right place in the forum's indexing system and that they otherwise comply with the forum's rules and policies. That task alone takes a lot of time, and because of the high post rate it has to be done every day to avoid falling too far behind. We currently log in over a 1000 new posts a week, and somewhere around 55,000-60,000 posts a year. Obviously, I cannot read every post for complete comprehension without becoming a basket case but I do read a lot of the posts that most interest me. And that helps me remember things later on when I am trying to locate certain posts using the forum's search tools. 

Most members can do about 80 percent of what I do if they learn how to use the forum's search tools. But that is easier said than done. It also takes practice, experience and time.

Peter

Props to Peter! Thanks for all you do.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
carl333 and Hodgey,

Thank you both. However, there are other Moderators (Norma and Tom Scarborough), as well as Steve, the owner and Administrator of the forum, and we all act as a team to try to keep things going smoothly, most of which is behind the curtains and not in full view of the members.

Peter

Offline carl333

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
Well kudos to all. I have read a number of posts from Norma and I think at one time I asked her for a good dough recipe. Now I realize after reading and reading what a stupid and open question that was just like my substrate question. I know I'm learning from the best in this forum. tks
Carl

Online Simple Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 07:05:11 PM »
Thanks to Peter and all of the other moderators. Also, thanks to many other forum members that have given me the knowledge and encouragement to get to the next level.
If you don't like the heat, move to Maine!