Author Topic: Just Purchased Pomi Strained Tomatoes - What R Your Thoughts?  (Read 6059 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Just Purchased Pomi Strained Tomatoes - What R Your Thoughts?
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »
Saw some Pomi Strained Tomatoes and figured it looked interesting so I had to buy a box.  I did a search here at the Pizza Making Forum and saw some post but not a whole lot. Thought I would pose this question for you who might know.  What are your thoughts on this product for pizzas sauce.  Won't be making pizza for a few days so not gonna make the sauce yet.

Thanks

Offline vwbpizza

Re: Just Purchased Pomi Strained Tomatoes - What R Your Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
That's what I've been using as late except I'm getting the crushed variety. Prefer a bit more texture.
Like that it's just tomato without any additions. Gives me a bit more control over the finished product. Used them for both fresh as well as in a cooked (pasta) sauce. Locally they are $2.39 a box...
Only other unadulterated tomato (in local stores) is Rienzi.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:03:11 PM by vwbpizza »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I like Classico crushed unpeeled tomatoes but really curious about this stuff.  I won't make sauce for a few days but from your description of them I think this will turn out good for me too.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
I do not think I ever had those.I will look in the stores and if they sell,I will grab some.

Look forward to hearing about the sauce experiment.
 :)
-Bill

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
They are super tasty. Very fresh tasting. One of the best tomatoes out there.  

By the way, my latest tomato find that I am really crazy about is DiNapoli crushed tomatoes. They are from California, and not at all expensive ($2.00 for a big can at Bristol Farms; undoubtedly they are cheaper elsewhere). I just love the flavor of these tomatoes.  I tend to use the crushed, right out of the can, as sauce. Nothing added, just crushed tomatoes.  

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:50:07 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:22:20 PM »
They are super tasty. Very fresh tasting. Once of the best tomatoes out there.  

By the way, my latest tomato find that I am really crazy about is DiNapoli crushed tomatoes. They are from California, and not at all expensive ($2.00 for a big can at Bristol Farms; undoubtedly they are cheaper elsewhere). I just love the flavor of these tomatoes.  I tend to use the crushed, right out of the can, as sauce. Nothing added, just crushed tomatoes.  

Regards,

TinRoof

Thanks for the tip.  There is a Bristol Farms near me, well about 5 miles away in South Pasadena but I find myself in that area a lot. I have to try some DiNapoli. Heck the name sounds good even.

TinRoof, I see you are from the OC.  Do you ever make it to San Diego?  Did you see the discussion I started about Luigi in San Diego?  Ever go there? 

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »
I do not think I ever had those.I will look in the stores and if they sell,I will grab some.

Look forward to hearing about the sauce experiment.

Bill, me too. Never heard of them until about two weeks ago. I was at Big Lots and they had them and I pondered about whether or not I should buy this. I did not but was there again and decided maybe I should give it a try.  It was $1 for the box.  They had quite a few.  At Big Lots it's okay to buy food items as long as you check the date.  Usually it's stuff that is about to go out soon. My box is good until Feb of 2012 but I am going to make pizza and sauce next week, maybe mid week that is.  A lot of times if you see some unusual food item at Big Lots then you go to 99 Cent Only stores you'll see the same thing.  Not always but sometimes.  So if they are out at Big Lots they may have it at 99 Cent.  Even tho at Big Lots it's hit or miss at least if I try it now and I like it then I can buy it else where if they don't have it. I'd have to get it for full price elsewhere but at least I know I like it.   I still will use Classico but I want to see if I like this better then I will switch to this maybe. 

See this box of Pomi, this is it -

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 01:01:46 AM »
I tried Pomi several years ago and thought they were terrible, but maybe they are better now. I have a box of them, I will have to try them again. Seems as though more and more brands of tomatoes are popping up in the marketplace alll the time. I'm doing an ongoing taste test of crushed tomatoes, and it seems like a find a new brand everytime I go shopping. Most are horrid, but I continue to search for the diamonds in the rough.

Offline vwbpizza

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
"It was $1 for the box."
Then you look online and that same box sells for well over $3/box. Amazing.
Looking forward to some new opinions on the Pomi. Maybe my taste buds have had a leave of absence.
To me it tasted like tomato (not like my garden grown/canned) but still what I would expect a tomato to taste like before the kg of salt and acids that most grocery store items are.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
Well, I made sauce out of it because I just made dough for a pizza tomorrow night.  I followed the recipe that Peter made the percentages for in the Luigi pizza thread.  I have used that recipe using it with Classico crushed unpeeled and Classico ground peeled tomatoes

With this Pomi I did not like it at all.  I was going to keep it and use it tomorrow even though I did not like it but I tried it a few more times and really did not like it at all so I tossed it.  I know, I know, you might say I should have kept it and then tried it on the pizza because after it's cooked I might like it but I seriously so not liked it I thought I'll toss it and get some Classico crushed unpeeled tomatoes.  Since I liked those so much.  The recipe is a good one that Peter made the percentages for since I tried it before, just with this Pomi I did not care for it.  Even though Pomi is a pure tomato sometime about it wasn't right with me.  It's off to Walmart tomorrow for Classico or to Bristol Farms to try the DiNapoli that Tinroof suggested. 

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
James,

Thanks for posting your findings and results.

I have found out through my own experiments,if the tomatoes or etc do not taste decent out of the can,its not going to be any better on the pie.That is,unless you are skilled enough to add ingredients to change the flavor.Im not so I dont bother wasting my pizzas with lousy tasting products when I know there are better ones to start with.

I have mixed up a few sauces with not so great products,and still did not like it before and after the pie was done.

Sometimes a sauce or canned tomato product is good, yet a tiny bit bitter,and is easily fixed by adding sugar,salt,maybe straining some water or etc,but aside from that,if it doesnt taste decent enough,or very very bitter,I dont use it again.

Im still learning,so not trying to sound like I know it all.Far from it.Yet,the experiments paid off,and I now narrowed my sauces down to just a few canned products I can buy.It is amazing what a difference 2 different brand names can have,and yet they are simply tomatoes to begin with.

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
James,

I've tried Pomi before, merely out of curiosity and they were god-awful. I agree with DMC.

DiNapoli's are a tad better but I didn't like them that much, either. Their product came with a tinny after taste. I'll stick to the 7/11 and the 6in1's. But...if you can find Cento tomatoes with the ROA code stamped on them, get them. They're fantastic.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
James,

I've tried Pomi before, merely out of curiosity and they were god-awful. I agree with DMC.

DiNapoli's are a tad better but I didn't like them that much, either. Their product came with a tinny after taste. I'll stick to the 7/11 and the 6in1's. But...if you can find Cento tomatoes with the ROA code stamped on them, get them. They're fantastic.

Mike,

Are you talking about the Cento Italian peeled tomatoes,with basil leaf,in the 35 ounce can?

Those are the ones I found with the ROA stamped onto the can.If so,how did you make a sauce with it?Did you leave the tomatoes in the puree it came with in the can,crush or puree them up all together,or did you remove the tomatoes from the puree and made a sauce with those instead?

I was just curious.

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
James,

Mike, yeah I didn't say it but yes the Pomi are aweful.  I decided to try the DiNapoli, went to Bristol Farms and purchased a can for 2 bucks.  Tasted them right out of the can and love them.  I didn't taste that tinny taste but I only tried a few spoon fulls so I gotta see later.   They were so good in my opinion that I thought who needs to add any spices but in the spirit of the Luigi pizza reverse engineering project I used the formula that you guys over at that discussion figured out.  Man just so good.  I do want to try 7/11s and 6 in 1s but I also love the Classico and I think some pointed out that the Classico is very similar to 6 in 1 so maybe if I stick to Classico I'll be close enough.  

I really don't know which is better, Classico or DiNapoli but I need to get a can of Classico and DiNapoli and do a side by side comparison.  

Bill, if you can find these DiNapoli please try them, you will love them I think.  I know that to each his own but you will like these I think since we both love the Classico so I think these will be of your liking.

I think I am going to like my pizza very much with this DiNapoli.

James
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:57:42 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
They are super tasty. Very fresh tasting. Once of the best tomatoes out there.  

By the way, my latest tomato find that I am really crazy about is DiNapoli crushed tomatoes. They are from California, and not at all expensive ($2.00 for a big can at Bristol Farms; undoubtedly they are cheaper elsewhere). I just love the flavor of these tomatoes.  I tend to use the crushed, right out of the can, as sauce. Nothing added, just crushed tomatoes.  

Regards,

TinRoof

TinRoof, thank you, thank you, thank you very much for turning me onto this DiNapoli.  Not only is the name cool but they taste out of this world.  I have not used the Classico Crushed in awhile but I love those too so I need to a/b comparisson them to find out which is better but right now when I opened up the can and tried it I knew they tasted out of the world.  Well, see what I wrote about them in the previous post, you maybe already did.   

If they are 2 bucks at Bristol Farms then they are cheaper elsewhere as you noted.  But with that said 2 bucks is okay with me and it will be hard to track them down else where so I shall stick with Bristol Farms.

Thanks

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Mike,

Are you talking about the Cento Italian peeled tomatoes,with basil leaf,in the 35 ounce can?

Those are the ones I found with the ROA stamped onto the can.If so,how did you make a sauce with it?Did you leave the tomatoes in the puree it came with in the can,crush or puree them up all together,or did you remove the tomatoes from the puree and made a sauce with those instead?

I was just curious.

Bill,

I found them in a 28oz can at a small Chinese produce store maybe a year and a half ago. Never seen them since. Just discard the basil and puree, if you can call it that. I hand crushed them, added some spices and then run my boat motor through it very briefly.

The taste is wonderful. So if you can get your hands on them, buy them.  :chef:
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »
Mike, yeah I didn't say it but yes the Pomi are aweful.  I decided to try the DiNapoli, went to Bristol Farms and purchased a can for 2 bucks.  Tasted them right out of the can and love them.  I didn't taste that tinny taste but I only tried a few spoon fulls so I gotta see later.   They were so good in my opinion that I thought who needs to add any spices but in the spirit of the Luigi pizza reverse engineering project I used the formula that you guys over at that discussion figured out.  Man just so good.  I do want to try 7/11s and 6 in 1s but I also love the Classico and I think some pointed out that the Classico is very similar to 6 in 1 so maybe if I stick to Classico I'll be close enough.  

I really don't know which is better, Classico or DiNapoli but I need to get a can of Classico and DiNapoli and do a side by side comparison.  

Bill, if you can find these DiNapoli please try them, you will love them I think.  I know that to each his own but you will like these I think since we both love the Classico so I think these will be of your liking.

I think I am going to like my pizza very much with this DiNapoli.

James

James,

I have used the DiNapoli only a couple of times and wasn't too impressed. Maybe they've become better. I have to check them out again.
Mike

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
Bill,

I found them in a 28oz can at a small Chinese produce store maybe a year and a half ago. Never seen them since. Just discard the basil and puree, if you can call it that. I hand crushed them, added some spices and then run my boat motor through it very briefly.

The taste is wonderful. So if you can get your hands on them, buy them.  :chef:

Thanks.I have been buying these Cento cans for a while, in 35 ounce sizes.That's the only size a certain food store sells around here where I live.I was just curious how you made the sauce with it yourself,because one of the reasons,some new people can read this topic,but have no idea how one of us might use the product out of the can,or mix it up.

I agree,The tomatoes are very very good.I actually like them better than the can Cento san marzano  tomatoes.

I have made sauces using the entire can contents and the puree in it,and others when taking the tomatoes out,discarding the puree, and crushing the tomatoes up in another bowl by themselves.

I found the puree the tomatoes come with in the can,to be a bit on the bitter and tinny side.Not ideal to leave in with the rest for a sauce.

The only time I left the puree in was if it tasted good right out of the can.If its bitter,I toss it out,use just the tomatoes and go from there.There was a few times the puree was awesome,but most of the time,I cant use it.Just the tomatoes.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
James,

Thanks for telling me about DiNapoli.I have never seen that brand anywhere around here.I doubt anyone sells it,but if I ever come across it,I will try them.Heck I will try any brand I can find at least once or twice.

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
James,

Thanks for telling me about DiNapoli.I have never seen that brand anywhere around here.I doubt anyone sells it,but if I ever come across it,I will try them.Heck I will try any brand I can find at least once or twice.

Well Bill, even if you can't find it that's okay because that Classico from Walmart is so good you won't need this DiNapoli. I just suspect DiNapoli might be slightly better but I am going from memory so I have to do an a/b comparison to really know.