Author Topic: Did I get the wrong cutter pan, or did I order it wrong?  (Read 2561 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Did I get the wrong cutter pan, or did I order it wrong?
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
I purchased what I thought  was a 10” H63N-10X.75-PSTK dark anodized cutter pan.  This is what I received.  Is this the wrong pan I was sent, or did I order it wrong?  To me the cutter pan looks like it is aluminum.

http://www.pizzatools.com/Cutter_Pans/30870/subgrouping.htm

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Did I get the wrong cutter pan, or did I order it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
Norma, I have a number of dark anodized aluminum pizza pans, and some other anodized pans, they are all much darker than the pan that appears in your photo.  So, yes I think they sent the wrong thing. 

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »
I agree with Barry,its the wrong pan.Its too shiny.
-Bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
send it back wrong one  :'( isnt there like a PSTK option? that is not the cutter pan I have? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12507.0.html the 10" pstk  is showm on my marble slab Mine  from Pizzatools.com is PSTK cutter pan look at reply 3 here this is the 14" cutter I have also http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7422.0.html
john
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:20:36 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:12 PM »
Norma, I have a number of dark anodized aluminum pizza pans, and some other anodized pans, they are all much darker than the pan that appears in your photo.  So, yes I think they sent the wrong thing. 
I agree with Barry,its the wrong pan.Its too shiny.

send it back wrong one  :'( isnt there like a PSTK option? that is not the cutter pan I have? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12507.0.html the 10" pstk  is showm on my marble slab Mine  from Pizzatools.com is PSTK cutter pan look at reply 3 here this is the 14" cutter I have also http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7422.0.html
john

barryvabeach, Bill, and John,

Thank you all for telling me you think the cutter pan PizzaTools sent me is the wrong one.  :) I will email them and see what they want me to do with the pan they sent.

Barry,  I didn't even realize that were options such as dark anodized and other anodized pizza pans.

John,  I did think I ordered the PSTK option, but when I received it wondered what happened.  I never had any real cutter pans before. 

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »
Norma, Good people, They will probably just replace it for you with the right one.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
Norma, Good people, They will probably just replace it for you with the right one.

John,

Thanks for telling me they are good people.  I did send an email with a picture last evening. 

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »
Norma, anodizing is a process where a chemical is used to make the outer surface of the aluminum much harder than normal aluminum. I  have a number of regular ( shiny ) aluminum pans, when you use a pie cutter it leaves tracks because the aluminum is so soft.  My anodized pans do not have tracks, because the outer layer, though extremely thin, is very hard.  The color is added as a dye as part of the anodizing process, but I think they can add any color they want or skip the dye altogether, but even then, the anodizing will change the color of the original metal.  Anodizing is much more durable than a nonstick coating, which wears out or can be scratched. OTOH, if you soak an anodized part in ammonia too long, ( many hours )  it can bleach out the dye - whether it removes the hard layer I don't know.  For household use, I find the anodizing pretty durable.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »
Norma, anodizing is a process where a chemical is used to make the outer surface of the aluminum much harder than normal aluminum. I  have a number of regular ( shiny ) aluminum pans, when you use a pie cutter it leaves tracks because the aluminum is so soft.  My anodized pans do not have tracks, because the outer layer, though extremely thin, is very hard.  The color is added as a dye as part of the anodizing process, but I think they can add any color they want or skip the dye altogether, but even then, the anodizing will change the color of the original metal.  Anodizing is much more durable than a nonstick coating, which wears out or can be scratched. OTOH, if you soak an anodized part in ammonia too long, ( many hours )  it can bleach out the dye - whether it removes the hard layer I don't know.  For household use, I find the anodizing pretty durable.

Barry,

Thanks for explaining what a anodized pan is.  :) I never knew that much about anodized pans before. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »
I received an email from Evelyn today about my cutter pan and this is what she said.

Hi Norma,

While shipping errors are extremely rare, we’re investigating this on our end and I thank you for both the emails you’ve sent. I’ve forwarded them to our Shipping Department and am wondering whether you would be so kind as to take another digital photo of the pan you received without the accompanying paperwork to help us identify it.

Awaiting your response,

Evelyn Ainley

I took two more pictures of the pan I received and sent the pictures to Evelyn.  When I returned from market today there was another email from Evelyn.  This is what the second email said.

Hi Norma,

Thank you so much –these are very helpful. With your initial photo, I wasn’t able to identify the style of pan you received. We’ll be shipping the correct pan to you this afternoon and sincerely regret the inconvenience to a valued customer. Would you like us to ship via express delivery service? Please feel free to keep the bare aluminum Cutter Pan you received, or dispose of it as you like.

Evelyn Ainley

Evelyn and Pizza Tools took care of my cutter pan problem fast.  :)

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »
Told ya ! Nice to see There are still some good people out there willing to help out
cant wait to see your cracker crust !
John

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:12:12 PM »
Told ya ! Nice to see There are still some good people out there willing to help out
cant wait to see your cracker crust !
John

John,

Yes, you did tell me they are nice people.  ;D I just got a return email saying they are shipping 2 day.  I didn’t even ask for that. 

As for my cracker crust, they have been a failure for me so far.  Hopefully the new cutter pan will help.  :)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
I received the cutter pan replacement today.  Pizza Tools service is great!   ;D  Now to try a cracker style crust in the New Year.  Sure don't know how great that experiment will turn out.  :-\

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »
Norma. I'm curious, the Lloyd site says that pan is for medium to thick pizza, not sure why. :-\ I mean I don't see why it wouldn't work for a thin, just a curious kind of guy.
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »
Norma. I'm curious, the Lloyd site says that pan is for medium to thick pizza, not sure why. :-\ I mean I don't see why it wouldn't work for a thin, just a curious kind of guy.
Don

Don,

I think John did reference in this thread he also uses the same cutter pan I received today for thin cracker style crusts.  I also think Peter and other members also use the kind of cutter pan I received today to make thin crust pizzas.  I don't know how the cutter pan will work for me though.  I have a history of not making cracker-style crusts right.  

Norma

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:00:08 PM by norma427 »

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
Norma, You've mentioned thin pizza giving you trouble in the past but I know you can do it ;D
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »
Norma, You've mentioned thin pizza giving you trouble in the past but I know you can do it ;D
Don

I have made a few succesful thin crusts such as V&N's clone, but so far cracker style crusts have me stumped.   :-D  I am glad you have confidence in me.   :)

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »
Don,

I have learned to pay little attention to what flour millers and pan makers say about the styles of pizza that are best made using their flours or pans. I think a lot of pizza operators just do what they are inclined to do, even without the benefit of counsel. A good example of this is the Pendleton Power flour (at page 6 of the booklet at http://www.pfmills.com/filebin/pdf/technical_informational_booklet_v1-opt.pdf) that is specified for "Thick/Pan Pizza". Yet, Luigi at Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego is going gangbusters using the Power flour for thin NY style pizzas using a thickness factor of around 0.07. If one studies the recommended applications of General Mills Eastern and Western flours at http://www.gmflour.com/gmflour/Home.aspx, one will notice that there are few references to using the flours for pizzas, when in fact they are so commonly used. I think the emphasis of millers like General Mills is still on the bread trade, not the pizza trade.

In similar vein, I have used the PizzaTools cutter pans for thin cracker-style pizzas, just as Steve used in the recipe described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php. I honestly don't know how PizzaTools decides what kinds of pizzas are best made using their pans.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
You got it! good luck with the cracker style I may do 1 of these soon. go make the Brain dough

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 10:59:03 PM »
You got it! good luck with the cracker style I may do 1 of these soon. go make the Brain dough

John,

Since you have told me I did get the right cutter pan maybe I will go in the right direction for a cracker style pizza now!  ;D Why do you call the cracker style dough the Brain dough?

Norma