Author Topic: pizza party  (Read 820 times)

Offline pizza dr

pizza party
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:03:39 PM »
Wow what an emotional roller coaster tonight was...

My son had a couple of his friends over and a couple of other folks came over for some pizza tonight.  No big deal right?  Well my wood was a little wet and for the life of me I could not get my oven hot.  After about 3 hours of stoking this thing people were looking at me like I was a mad man.  I think there were a couple of curse words that perhaps slipped out >:D

Well my first dough ball opened as expected and I made a simple marinara to get things kicked off... it rolled right off the peel into a big sopping mess.  Not sure why or how... I was getting worried now. Pizza gods were frowning... People were really starting to look at me now.  You  know its bad when your wife comes by and pats you on the back and says that we can always order out  >:(

I had to do something... I finally found some good dry pecan wood that was in my garage and stoked that sucker.  Finally some flame. 

I made another marinara and launched it.  perfect.

What saved the night for me... my 11 year old son told me he was in "pizza heaven... best ever dad".  Not sure it was... but I'll take it.

I would work for 3 days straight to hear that again. 

Strange how important it is to hear people say how much they like your pizza...

Scot

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: pizza party
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:48:53 PM »
Scot,

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end, and you got wood that worked.  ;D I agree, it is nice to hear people say they like your pizzas.  What your son said was really nice.   :)

At first you had me chuckling.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 01:06:11 AM »
I've got company coming for pies this evening. No WFO. just some NY style cooked in the oven on a stone. Hope the pizza Gods are smiling on me!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »
Scot. Glad it came together for you, I know I've had some "stressful" moments when things weren't going according to plan. ??? I always get a bit concerned when new people post they want to do something new, a recipe, what have you for a pizza party for twenty people. I do my experimenting before serving something I've never done before but I'm a go with what ya know kinda guy.
Don

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:32:40 AM »
Yeah Don I like to plan, plan, plan myself.  I never do anything for a crowd that isn't tried and true... ( I guess you can exempt my pizza from that  ;D)

I think my problem boiled down to one thing... Moisture

Its been raining and cloudy around here ( which is pretty unusual)  I looked at the humidity and it was 80%... Normally our humidity is in the 20% range.  So I didn't account for that and my wood was a little wet as well. Its normally stored under my oven but I ran out and pulled right from my big pile that is stored outside. 

I should have started earlier on the oven and dialed down the hydration a bit on my dough. Wondering though... I was right at 60 % hydration.  Given the change in humidity... How much should I have reduced my % H20? 

Scot

pizzapan