Author Topic: Garlic Powder vs Granulated Garlic  (Read 12686 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Garlic Powder vs Granulated Garlic
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »
Is there a difference in sauce making/flavor, when using either of the two? To be clear,I went to Gordon's today and was looking for more garlic powder, and I noticed a form I have never seen before.I always assumed and called granulated garlic,garlic powder.I thought thats all there was to it.The store bought brands,always said garlic powder on the label,and it was always granulated inside.

One container on the shelves, just said garlic powder,and indeed it was completely broken down like a fine powder would be.It looked nothing like granulated garlic.

All these years I have been buying local store bought garlic powder and it was always in granulated form.I have never seen garlic powder actually be a super fine powder.

I did not buy it today,but it got me curious if there.Has anyone used true garlic powder,and if so,how was it compared to granulated?

Thanks.

:)

-Bill

buceriasdon

Re: Garlic Powder vs Granulated Garlic
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »
Bill, I have both types readily available here and I have found there is a ratio that is best to use between the two. For granulated garlic use twice as much as you would garlic powder. Same principle as using sea salt granules to finer grind salt.
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
Bill,

If you are interested this is an article about what the differences are in garlic powder and granulated garlic.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/granulated-garlic.html

I donít use either one of them in my sauce, but do have garlic powder for customers to sprinkle on pizzas if they want.  I used fresh garlic cloves in my sauce that have been crushed with a garlic press and then microwaved with oil and herbs before they are added to my sauce.

I buy garlic powder from my distributor, but I donít think it is nearly as good if it is added to my sauce.  That is just my opinion though.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »
Thank you Don and Norma!

I think next time I head to Gordon's I'm going to buy that garlic powder container to experiment with.I can imagine it being grounded into a finer powder form,its going to have some potency to it.

I also use fresh garlic in my sauce these days,but still use some garlic powder for sprinkling over the pies once in a while.

Im also working on another simple sauce using the granulated powder and Im going to Vs it against my other sauce with fresh.I already know fresh is going to win,but Im sort of testing the family,and seeing what they prefer as well.

Will like to eventually see how the finer powder performs as well.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »
I forgot to add,Norma,thank you for the link.It was very informative.I saved it in bookmarks as well.
-Bill

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
Garlic powder has a higher tendency to clump and not disperse as well.

I also find that refrigerated sauces tend to gelatinize more with the powdered version.

People tend to have a higher incidence of indigestion or GI cramping from the powdered form. I have not yet discovered why.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
Lydia, Excellent point about clumping of the powder. I take a little bit of whatever liquid I'm adding it to and stir the powder in a small cup then add that back. You're right, kinda of another step.
Don

Garlic powder has a higher tendency to clump and not disperse as well.

I also find that refrigerated sauces tend to gelatinize more with the powdered version.

People tend to have a higher incidence of indigestion or GI cramping from the powdered form. I have not yet discovered why.

Offline pmoores

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
Ive found this freeze dried garlic in a small local grocery store. Cant seem to find it anywhere else that ive looked. Take a piece in your mouth for a second to hydrate and you get a strong blast of garlic, almost as good as the real thing. Since then ive been buying their oregano and basil, both are very strong, something I get in the powdered form. Im sure for the best of the best only fresh counts but ive often bought fresh, used what was needed, then only to throw out the rest before the next usage.

In Canada I think that container is around $6, seems alot but then im sure it takes a fair bit to fill a bottle.

http://www.litehousefoods.com/products/freeze-dried-garlic

I still use fresh most of the time but that freeze dried makes a good one for emergencies or if your just lazy.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:33:32 PM by pmoores »

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the extra info Lydia and Don.

Pmoores,thanks for sharing that.I have never tried something like that before.I will definitely be on the lookout for something in our local stores,should they have something to experiment with.
-Bill

pizzapan