Author Topic: Sticking Dough Transferring Problem  (Read 928 times)

Offline TomN

Sticking Dough Transferring Problem
« on: December 18, 2011, 03:34:20 AM »
I just started using Pendleton MONDAKO flour for a lighter pizza crust instead of the Pendleton "Power" flour which makes a thicker Chicago style crust. The power flour dough cooks great in a pizza pan at 425 temp for 15 mins and then out of the pan for 5 mins extra on the oven rack. However, the MONDAKO flour dough does not cook well in the pizza pan for me. Thus, i am rolling out the dough and placing it on a floured up wooden cutting board so I can put the sauce, cheese and topping on the pizza i am about to bake. Even with all that flour on the board, I am still having a hard time transferring the dough onto the oven rack, from the floured up wooden board. It wants to stick to the wood and makes it very difficult to transfer to the hot oven rack. Then the flour that falls in the oven burns up and leave that burning smell. Please note, this is my home oven, not a commercial pizza oven. i am making this for my family and friends, not for resale. Any suggestion concerning the sticking??? Thank you.

Tom
PS
would a pizza pan with holes in to help?

buceriasdon

Re: Sticking Dough Transferring Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
Tom, I don't know how much you want to invest dollar wise in baking pizza but if I could offer some suggestions. Purchase a tapered wood pizza peel for prepping and loading the pizza in the oven. You want one that goes from 1/2" more or less and tapers to a sharp edge. Something like:  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-x-14-wooden-tapered-pizza-peel-with-8-handle/1241222.html
I'm not saying this one but similar. This type can be used to turn the pizza for more even baking and to remove it from the oven until you can purchase a metal peel for removal. I use rice flour as a dusting release medium on the peel and works fine for me. Others have their own preferences. Another alternative is a pizza screen such as:  http://www.amazon.com/quot-Pizza-Screen-PZ-18718-Category/dp/B000638HRE
Most important though is acquiring a better baking surface such as steel plate, soapstone, or cordierite for example preheated for an hour or so at your ovens hottest setting. If you're searching for that pizza parlor crust you need a pizza stone even if using a pan or a screen and the maximum heat your oven can produce for shorter bake times. Hope this helps.
Don

I just started using Pendleton MONDAKO flour for a lighter pizza crust instead of the Pendleton "Power" flour which makes a thicker Chicago style crust. The power flour dough cooks great in a pizza pan at 425 temp for 15 mins and then out of the pan for 5 mins extra on the oven rack. However, the MONDAKO flour dough does not cook well in the pizza pan for me. Thus, i am rolling out the dough and placing it on a floured up wooden cutting board so I can put the sauce, cheese and topping on the pizza i am about to bake. Even with all that flour on the board, I am still having a hard time transferring the dough onto the oven rack, from the floured up wooden board. It wants to stick to the wood and makes it very difficult to transfer to the hot oven rack. Then the flour that falls in the oven burns up and leave that burning smell. Please note, this is my home oven, not a commercial pizza oven. i am making this for my family and friends, not for resale. Any suggestion concerning the sticking??? Thank you.

Tom
PS
would a pizza pan with holes in to help?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Sticking Dough Transferring Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
Did you adjust the hydration for the lower protein of the Mondako versus the Power ?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan