Author Topic: Proper weight of dough for various sized pizzas  (Read 1546 times)

Offline AmPm5291

• I Love Pizza!
Proper weight of dough for various sized pizzas
« on: August 02, 2005, 05:19:46 PM »
Hi I am new to this board and was wondering what the proper weight was for various pizza sizes .
example a
personal pizza =450 gr of dough?
12" pizza =560 gr of dough ?

I am just wondering if I have these weights right and what the rest of them would be

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Proper weight of dough for various sized pizzas
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 06:17:34 PM »
There are no standard weights for pizza doughs. The amount of dough in any single instance will depend on the size (diameter) of the pizza and the thickness of the dough, e.g., thin, medium or thick. When I want to determine how much dough is required to make a certain size pizza and thickness, I use this expression:

DW = 3.14 x R x R x TF,

where DW is the desired dough weight, R is the radius of the pizza to be made, and TF is the thickness factor. For a thin-crust pizza (e.g., for a NY style pizza), the thickness factor TF has a typical value of 0.10. For a medium-thickness crust, TF has a typical value of 0.11. For a thick crust, TF has a typical value of 0.12-0.13. So, for example, if I want to make a 16-inch thin NY style pizza, the amount of dough I will need is 3.14 x 8 x 8 x 0.10, or a bit over 20 ounces of dough. If, after actual experience, I decide that I want a slightly thicker crust, I can increase the thickness factor a bit, say, to 0.105. In that example, I would need 3.14 x 8 x 8 x 0.105, or 21.10 ounces of dough. If I decided I wanted an even thinner crust, I could use, say, 0.09 as a thickness factor (which mean around 18 ounces of dough). On this forum, I have seen and calculated thickness factors as low as 0.04 and as high as 0.14. The above expression is useful because it allows you to calculate the amount of dough to make any size pizza once you know the thickness factor TF. And all the pizzas using that same thickness factor will have the same thickness.

Peter

pizzapan