Author Topic: Soapstone vs Steel Plate  (Read 1004 times)

Offline cosgrojo

Soapstone vs Steel Plate
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
There has been a lot of experimenting with steel plates and soapstone on this forum, and I am beginning to get very curious about it. I have not seen any threads that specifically pit one against the other... Since I am looking to upgrade to a new cooking surface, it would be nice to hear everyones view points on the matter in one thread.  Both surfaces are easy enough for me to purchase in my area, so availability is not a problem.

What are the pros and cons of these different surfaces? What style of pizza works best on each surface? Which do you prefer and why? Feel free to be as long winded or brief as you wish, I would appreciate any and all feedback on the matter.

Thanks,

Josh

Offline scott123

Re: Soapstone vs Steel Plate
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »
Josh, steel Plate always wins because the material it's made from doesn't vary.  The steel I buy, here in NJ, is going to be the same steel that another member may purchase in New Zealand. Soapstone, on the other hand, varies tremendously.  It can be high talc (talc=conductive=good) or it can be low talc (bad).  It can have faults running through it that cause it to eventually crack.  Mother Nature has horrible quality control.

I got lucky with my soapstone, as have a few others, but just as many haven't been as fortunate.

Soapstone is a gamble, steel isn't.

Your oven is electric, right?

Offline tikidoc

Re: Soapstone vs Steel Plate
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
I would also think it would depend to some extent upon what you wanted to do with it.

I got soapstone, and specifically asked for a high talc stone with few veins (less likely to crack) and so far, so good.  BUT, one of the things that went into my decision is that I also bake a lot of bread, so wanted a dual purpose stone.  With bread, I think the stone would do a better job (not looking for 4 minute cook times).  My oven is also of questionable quality and has hot spots so the thermal mass makes baking in it in general a little more predictable.