Author Topic: Ricotta - I need help  (Read 8961 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Ricotta - I need help
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
I've seen other recipes that call for lemon juice instead of the vinegar.

Technically Craig started it.. I just fed the beast.   :-D

Terry,

I am glad you fed the beast, since Craig started this thread!  :chef: I might try some raw milk with the recipe you posted.  Steve also told me yesterday he thought lemons might work to curdle the mixture.  I had lemons on hand, but didnít think about trying them.  I also had citric acid on hand from making fresh mozzarella awhile ago and also vegetable rennet, but didnít think about trying them either.  I at first was concerned because my mixture didnít want to curdle.  ??? At least it turned out well for my first attempt, even though my ricotta was a little darker from the balsamic vinegar.

Norma

Offline Tman1

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »
I've been on the watch for other ingredients to pair with the ricotta.. prosciutto seems to be the most popular. A couple places here locally use meatballs (slice up). The first time I tried it the meatballs were very plain. the second time it was a popular local spot and it was the evening special... still not wicked good, but it was better.

Any other ideas out there?

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
I've been on the watch for other ingredients to pair with the ricotta.. prosciutto seems to be the most popular. A couple places here locally use meatballs (slice up). The first time I tried it the meatballs were very plain. the second time it was a popular local spot and it was the evening special... still not wicked good, but it was better.

Everyone here got me thinking eggplant lasagna!  Friday is a quiet night for me (wife is going out) so I'm thinking ricotta, roasted eggplant, mozz, carmelized onions and some sauce.  Then top with fresh basil.  Just me, pizza, and a couple of Harp's beer.
tom

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »

Here's a couple of ideas-

W honey on toast for breakfast

I make a version of Andrew Carmelli's whipped ricotta for almost every get together we have. It is awesome on grilled bread. You can find a version here  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/andrew-carmellinis-whipped-sheeps-milk-ricotta-appetizer.html

Lol, as I'm typing it ocurred to me you were probably talking about on pizza.  :-[ Oops.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Tonights fresh ricotta, white truffle oil, and prosciutto.

This cheese melted even better than last week. Again, it made it a couple hours before using, but this time, I whipped it up real well with a spoon before using. It was silky smooth before going on the pie. I spread it on with a spatula.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage