Author Topic: Norma's Pizza  (Read 1142 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Norma's Pizza
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:10:42 PM »
While heading to pick up my son for the Christmas holiday, I made the short detour to Roots market to try our very own Norma's pizza!  Of course I forgot my camera... :(

Anyway the cheese slice I had was great and the sausage pizza I carried out was awesome (as predicted it didn't last long).  I had the chance to chat with Norma and her friend (and fellow pizzamaking.com member) Steve, and I also got to try a slice of one of her experiments.  The dough was made with rye (Norma what was the % of rye flour?) and was amazingly delicious.  Very hearty and flavorful.  And unfortunately I had to leave before she finished baking her "Mellow Mushroom" reverse-engineered dough.

I'm glad I had the chance to meet Norma and taste her wonderful pizza.  It's good to see her enthusiasm for pizza and her love of experimentation.

Thanks Norma!

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Norma's Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »
While heading to pick up my son for the Christmas holiday, I made the short detour to Roots market to try our very own Norma's pizza!  Of course I forgot my camera... :(

Anyway the cheese slice I had was great and the sausage pizza I carried out was awesome (as predicted it didn't last long).  I had the chance to chat with Norma and her friend (and fellow pizzamaking.com member) Steve, and I also got to try a slice of one of her experiments.  The dough was made with rye (Norma what was the % of rye flour?) and was amazingly delicious.  Very hearty and flavorful.  And unfortunately I had to leave before she finished baking her "Mellow Mushroom" reverse-engineered dough.

I'm glad I had the chance to meet Norma and taste her wonderful pizza.  It's good to see her enthusiasm for pizza and her love of experimentation.

Thanks Norma!

---Guy

Guy,

It was a pleasant surprise to meet you too today!  :) I wish we could have talked longer.  I am glad you enjoyed the preferment Lehmann dough whole pizza with sausage and the cheese slice.  Since you are into brewing I am sure you and Steve would have had a lot to talk about.  We even had Mead Steve brought today. 

The experimental slice you tried today was from this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16823.0.html  I didn’t post the pictures or do the write-up as of tonight, but will tomorrow.  The experimental pie you tasted was made with 10% dark rye flour and 90% ultragrain flour.  The formula I used is posted in the link above, but I did up the hydration for the slice you tasted.  I am glad you enjoyed the experimental slice.

I hope you can stop again so we can talk more.  Maybe if you stop again you will get to try the clone Mellow Mushroom pizza. 

Thank you for your kind words and nice write-up!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

parallei

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »
What fun!  Visiting Norma's pizza stand is on my list of must do's. ;D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:29 AM »
norma, i wonder how far you are from oberlin ohio 44074.i would love to spend a day with you. interested in your ny pizza and your pizziarum dough and pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:46:04 AM »
norma, i wonder how far you are from oberlin ohio 44074.i would love to spend a day with you. interested in your ny pizza and your pizziarum dough and pizza.

Larry,

I just mapquested your address and it looks like I am about 6 hrs. 7 minutes away from you.  If you want to search for better ways to Root’s it is outside of Manheim, Pa. 17545.  I would love to spend the day with you too!  I am a little bit rusty on Pizzarium doughs, but would make a test dough if you have time to come to my small pizza stand.  I could also make other experimental doughs if you wanted me to.  I think you would also enjoy meeting Steve (Ev).  He has built his own WFO http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11155.0.html and is working on another project with a WFO.  Steve also home brews and brews so many kinds of beers. 

My small pizza stand at market is only 8’x13”, but we have a lot of fun there. 

You are welcome any time.  :) Just let me know when you would be coming and what experiments you would like to try.  I am slower after New Years, because not as many customers come to market in the winter.  If you want to see what Root’s looks like this is their website.  http://www.rootsmarket.com/

Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »
 i am very interested in home brewing,this is getting interesting!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
i am very interested in home brewing,this is getting interesting!!!

Larry,

I don't know anything about home brewing, but Steve has been home brewing for years.  I have tasted some of the best beers I have ever tasted at Steve's home, from him, and his beer brewing buddies.   ;D  I never tasted home brewed beer before I met Steve.  Steve is also a great pizza maker.  It seems like home brewing is something like making pizza, that everything has to be in line for the beer to turn out right.  Steve also makes different kinds of Mead and has made wine too. 

If you ever the the change come over to market some day.  We all could all have fun talking about pizza, and of course you could talk to Steve about his home brewing. We have lively standholders near my pizza stand and we all have fun. I also would like to learn more about your pizzas.  :)

Norma

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:44:46 PM »
Norma, are you open and serving pizza at the 9am opening of the market or do you open later in the day?

Thanks-k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »
Norma, are you open and serving pizza at the 9am opening of the market or do you open later in the day?

Thanks-k

Kelly,

My first pies come out of the oven around 9:30 am.  I usually make garlic knots and other stuff first, before the pizzas.  If you are interested you also could join Steve and me and throw some pies.  Steve doesn't usually get to market until 12:00 pm.  Mornings aren't the really busy time for me, but the market is busy in the mornings.  I guess too many people don't really eat pizza for breakfast.

Norma