Author Topic: Help w/ Sicilian?!  (Read 2240 times)

Offline pie eye

Help w/ Sicilian?!
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:40 PM »
Well,

I've been experimenting w/the Lehmann Sicilian Dough Recipe (that Pete-zza adapted  for abc's 18" x 12" Pan) a few years back.

First off, I have to say that the dough recipe is great, that's not really my problem/"challenge"/question. Mine is more of a "mechanics of dough" question.

Last time I made it, it had a 3 day fermentation and then like 3+hours out of the fridge and on the counter at slightly above "room Temp". I was able to stretch it out barely even 2/3s of the way and then had to wait another 1+ hours to be able to get it to relax enough to get in the corners of my pan.

I've watched the Seven Fishes blog's post on the place in Jersey- Rosalita's. Guy from L&B, etc...and his dough seems so relaxed. It doesn't quite stretch out all the way (but more than mine) and then he puts it in a proofer for 10 or 15 minutes and it is super soft.

So...how can I get my recipe and/or method to replicate that without a proofer and it must be more than just the proofer anyway.

Would love any assistance any of you have. Cheers!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Help w/ Sicilian?!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »
post the recipe you used, not the recipe you followed. people always change something, and you may have mixed up some numbers

also, post your dough techniques from mixing to forming, including times.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:26:08 AM »
Pie Eye,
As mentioned, any additional info about your recipe will help. Regarding proofing, one thing you could try is to leave the light on in your oven for about an hour before you are ready to proof and that should bring the temp up to mid 70s for proofing. Or you could make a light box and run a 100 Watt bulb in it. Both would mimic the temp of a proofing box.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline pie eye

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys and sorry it's taken so long to respond. Loco holidays!

Recipe and procedure I used for standard "half sheet pan":

KABF- 17 oz
IDY- 1 t
Salt- 2 1/2 t
Olive Oil- 1 3/4 T
Water- 10.5 oz

-Mixed all salt, IDY, and about 3/4 of flour into water (about 75 degrees) in mixing bowl.
-Let sit for about 30 mins
-Mixed in remaining flour and oil (did not incorporate well)
-Removed and kneaded lightly by hand for about 1 minute.
-Covered and let rest on counter for about 20 minutes.
-Kneaded for 1 minute
-Put in oiled container and into the refrigerator for approx. 52 hours.

Then..

-pulled out and let sit at room temp for about 3.5 hours
-put in pan and attempted to press out into sheet pan (maybe about 2/3s is all I achieved. was still a little tight and was retracting)
-covered with plastic and let rest another 1 1/2 hour on top of heating oven (pan was barely warm)
-Placed in pre-heated oven and the results were actually great*- nice bubble formation, crisp and cooked thru w/out being doughy, etc

*results were good, yes, but if I were to ever try and reproduce these results in a commercial setting, this "procedure" would never work. Too long!

I want to be able to pull it out of the dough box, put it in a sheet pan, and go! Possibly w/ a 10 minute-ish ride in a proof box at most.

Thanks for any suggestions a and Happy 2012!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
I would start by using a lower protein flour and less salt. An all purpose flour would handle easier, and salt doughens dough and I really don't see the need for as much as you're using. Try two different doughs side by side and see if it makes a difference.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
yep, The salt level jumped out at me also.
Don

I would start by using a lower protein flour and less salt. An all purpose flour would handle easier, and salt doughens dough and I really don't see the need for as much as you're using. Try two different doughs side by side and see if it makes a difference.

Offline pie eye

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »
Thanks for your responses. I'll try this weekend and get back to you w/ results.

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:33:31 AM »
I have been using the dough recipe for the Victory Pig Style pizza for both the pig or any Sicilian pizza I have been making. Good stretch an rise.
Check it out in this forum, three or four posts below yours. Steel_Baker also has a comprehensive video on YouTube.

pat

Offline pie eye

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
Thanks all for the info and feedback. Pat, I will look into what you suggested as well.

Lowering the salt and using a lower protein flour (Gold Medal AP in this instance)was the trick!

The dough was easy to work and required little to no proofing. Nice delicate crust.

Now my next question. I know most places use their same dough recipe for both regular and square pies.

When I used a regular high gluten flour w/ same recipe I mentioned above, the results were pretty lame. Fast food style lame.

Suggestions on how I could use a higher protein flour in the above recipe? Much more water right? Yeast too?

I know the higher the protein, the more water can be absorbed, but in practice??