Author Topic: Re: Chicago Deep-Dish Recipe on Ed's (vcb's) Website - RealDeepDish.com  (Read 11681 times)

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Chicago Deep-Dish Recipe on Ed's (vcb's) Website - RealDeepDish.com
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
I wanted to post a link to my latest test recipe, because I'm pretty sure it will be my new standard.
http://RealDeepDish.com/RealDeepDish-201401.pdf

I wanted more dough and better hydration, so I went with 60% water and adjusted some other settings in the dough calculator, with excellent results. For the test, I used Ceresota All Purpose Flour, Butcher Boy Corn Oil and Red Star Active Dry Yeast. 
I'm using 19% oil. I like to use Corn Oil, but feel free to use a blend. I recommend a 3 to 1 ratio if you're also using olive oil.

The dough was soft and easy to press out after the two hour rise.

The test pizza was a 12" Cheese and Sausage.
I used 12 oz (15 slices) of low moisture part skim mozzarella,
3/4 lb (3 links) of raw mild italian sausage,
and 16 oz of crushed tomatoes.

I preheated the oven and baking stone to 500 degrees for an hour, then lowered to 460 and baked for 35 minutes.
I let it rest for about 5 minutes. It had a little water at the first cut slice, but nothing overwhelming. 
15 oz of tomatoes may be the sweet-spot for the twelve inch.
Otherwise, this is possibly the best deep dish I have made so far.  :chef: :pizza:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
Looking good there Ed....real nice.  :chef:
Glad the new formula worked out for you. I really like how your cooked pizza pulls away from the pan a bit. That final crumb pic is awesome man. Just a beautiful, authentic looking pie.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:36 AM »
Holy Casseroles, Batman!  :D  The first recipe of yours that I printed off, and is still my go-to, uses a 398g dough for 12".  Then you upped it to 434g, and now we're at 511g.  That's an extra quarter pound of bread per pizza.  What's with the massive dough inflation--simple trial and error?

Love the recipes.  You've done a lot of heavy lifting for newbs and old timers alike by writing out all the procedural knowledge.  Truly great stuff.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline BTB

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »
Great job, Ed.  You are a true deep dish pizza enthusiast and your work and effort here deserves some high praise and recognition.  Love your great, great photos.  I've really liked your previous recipes and am curious about your latest one, esp. with a 60% hydration.  I've always thought to go in the opposite direction, but maybe I'm wrong.

Over the Christmas holidays, I've enjoyed the gifts of two Malnati "six-pack" frozen pizzas.  I've only a couple left and enjoyed them immensely as I hadn't such great pizzas in a long time.  I've found that they must have drastically changed something in their frozen crust formulation over the past year.  While retaining their excellent crust flavor, the new frozen product gets to a much crispier crust easier than previous products they've had.  And that is good.  I sensed that the crusts were dryer and not with a higher hydration.  But I can't be certain as I'm not closely studying such as I had in the past.

Some queries:  1)  Why did you want to find a formulation with more dough?  I don't recall experiencing a larger dough deep dish pizza at UNO/DUE's, Malnati's or Pizano's  from yours and our many expressed formulations, too, herein.  2) Further you said that you wanted to seek some "better hydration," which puzzles me.  What is "better"?  Did you mean "wetter" and does that mean "better"?  Is the result crispier/crunchier?  Or what-not?  What can you report from those beautiful, beautiful pictures of your great pizza about the texture of the crust compared to the real product?
                                                                                     --BTB
BTW - contrary to some others thoughts and opinions, the crust to me is the most important item of the whole pizza formulation.  I sense that's close to your thoughts, too.  I don't like a very soft crust deep dish pizza (ala pizza hut and hundreds of deep dish imitators, etc.), so I trust that's not the result here

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »
Holy Casseroles, Batman!  :D  The first recipe of yours that I printed off, and is still my go-to, uses a 398g dough for 12".  Then you upped it to 434g, and now we're at 511g.  That's an extra quarter pound of bread per pizza.  What's with the massive dough inflation--simple trial and error?

Love the recipes.  You've done a lot of heavy lifting for newbs and old timers alike by writing out all the procedural knowledge.  Truly great stuff.

Cheers,
Garvey

I've gone thru several versions of my recipe - changes in amount and type of oil, messing with the oil to water ratio, etc.,
and there was actually a point in 2010 where my total dough weight for a 12" was about 600g,
which I felt was too much dough to work with, so I made adjustments.
As those who have tested my more recent recipes can tell you,
my crust has been a bit on the thinner side than typical deep dish pizza,
and I was pretty happy with it, but occasionally I, and some of the recipe users on my website,
have had some difficulty working with the dough - kneading was sometimes difficult,
especially on those times when I subbed 1/4 of the flour for semolina,
and some mentioned to me that they would use the recipe conversion for the next size up
(page 3) in order to have more dough for their pizza.
[WE NOW PRESENT THE AWARD FOR THE WORLD'S LONGEST PIZZA-RELATED RUN-ON SENTENCE TO...]

Because of the things I mentioned above, I decided to make a dough that was easier to work with.
I wouldn't worry too much about 511g. Some of that is water weight.  :chef:

p.s. - Thanks, Garvey, for including both "Casserole" and "Bread" in the same post.  :chef:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:51:37 PM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
- Thanks, Garvey, for including both "Casserole" and "Bread" in the same post.  :chef:

I've been actively reclaiming the c-word for our community.  It's an empowerment thing.  Same goes for the b-word.   :D

Offline mrmagloo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
Ed, as mentioned on your site, I've tried a number of your recipes and others here looking for the best Malnatis clone and I think this is the closest so far. On Friday, I tweaked it just a bit by going with 4 tbs of corn oil and 1 tbs of olive oil. I also went with 2 cups KA APF and 1/4 cup semolina. Used my KA mixer for about 2 minutes on level 3 until the dough just barely was coming together. Stuck it in a lightly oiled covered bowl in the oven at 100 degrees for 1-1/2 hours and it came out great. That was absolutely the clostest in texture and proportion so far. For tonights game, I made two batches last night and they are in the frig. We'll see if the overnighter helps. Thanks again for sharing. Without your conversion to normal easy to use measures, I would have never tried this.

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »
I smell a Chicago deep dish bake off coming with Ed.  I'm only 25 miles away from the city limits, just waiting for the invite.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan