Author Topic: Sorrento whole milk mozzarella cheese  (Read 9424 times)

Offline tcarlisle

Re: Sorrento whole milk mozzarella cheese
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
I can get Sorrento whole milk mozz at my local grocery store. It is fine and I use it when I can't get grande. I have made the mistake of getting the part skim -- they are next to each other on the shelf. The part skim ends up a bit rubbery in texture and tough to swallow.  I don't really care for the polly-o brand.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 01:10:06 AM »
As a heads up for anyone who has access, Ginsberg Food Service has a cash n carry store on Rt. 66, Just on the outskirts of the village of Hudson, NY.They sell 5# bricks of both whole milk and oart skim Sorrento Mozz for market price. Market price varies with season, the cheapest it's every been was around $1.70 a pound, the most expensive it's ever been was around $2.70 a pound. Usually a 5# block is around $11. No Grande cheese though!  :(

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
In these parts, grocery store cheese is grocery store cheese. I've tried every one that is available here(including Sorrento) with great disappointment. One day, many years ago, I found out who was supplying one of my favorite pizzerias with their cheese. I bought some and was blown away. Then I began doing some research on where many of my favorite pizzerias get their cheese. I've tried them all with great enjoyment. Nothing to do with how it's shredded or diced. Nothing to do with my oven. Just great taste results down the board. No longer did my pies taste like amateur pies. Based on my experience, I am convinced that most consumer grade cheese will never give great results, in fact, in comparison to the commercial grade pizzeria cheeses I have tried, the grocery store cheeses are downright unacceptable.

pieman, that's like pulling the pin on a grenade and walking away! u can't do that to us. please share your findings on these cheeses you mention!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
It is my understanding that Costco, Kirkland Signature Skim Milk shredded Mozzarella Cheese is made by Sorrento. The Costco KS is good on pizza too, even though it is not a whole milk Mozzarella. Also, I have been eating pizza at a few Pizzerias that offer a Whole Milk DANISH Mozzarella cheese, one of which is made by Sorrento. This cheese is amazing on Pizza. It has a creamer flavor than regular Mozzarella. The Pizzerias that use it, say that this Cheese sets them apart from other places. I posted a picture of the cheese block on a thread that I started.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.40.html

I have found that some Pizzerias are willing to sell this cheese to you if you ask them nicely.

I also found a DANISH whole milk mozzarella cheese by a compnay called Olympic Cheese which is re-labeled by another cheese distributor in my area. I purchase this at a local cheese shop in town.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.20.html

(Scroll to the bottom of this thread page)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:19:57 PM by TomN »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »
TomN

I live a hell of a lot closer to where Sorrento is made then you do, but I have never seen the Danish mozz in stores around me. Wonder if that's some sort of strange marketing strategy? Is there much difference between the Danish and the regular in taste and/or texture?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »
I do not see it in stores out here either, only in Pizzerias. I really like it and think there is a big difference in taste. It is creamer and has it's own unique flavor. It also pulls like Grande cheese does, but again it has it's own unique flavor and taste.  Take a look at the photos on my thread link. It is made by Sorrento, it is their cheese. Perhaps it is one of those cheeses that they only want to sell to a Pizzeria. Kind of an exclusive / proprietary market sales strategy. Perhaps it is one of those cheeses that only makes it way out to the west coast. It is not uncommon for a Cheese Company to use a different name for the same exact cheese that is sold in different parts of the country. Lots of the same products are named differently thoughout the USA but are made by the same company. However, I will research this Danish Cheese further. But like I said, if you find a Pizzeria that uses it, ask them to sell you some, but be prepared for the price sticker shock.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:28:17 PM by TomN »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »
Maybe I'll have to ask at the place I get my regular Sorrento, it's a restaurant supplier so they should know.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
I would be interested to know???? Thanks

Offline Zing

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »
I also found a DANISH whole milk mozzarella cheese by a compnay called Olympic Cheese which is re-labeled by another cheese distributor in my area. I purchase this at a local cheese shop in town.

After not finding a current phone number or web site for Olympic Cheese, I did a little research and think the name is/was Olympia Cheese. It looks like Olympia was bought by Lactalis/Sorrento around 1999:

http://www.research-store.com/ibcasia/News/j_r_simplot_and_besnier_sign_letter_of_intent?productid=AE66FF8E-DEF1-421C-98A9-C8E7FBC5D38A

Other online sources indicate the Olympia plant in Lacey, WA was closed.

So, Petersen seems to be selling private-labeled Sorrento just like Costco sells private labeled Sorrento.

pizzapan