Author Topic: Schiacciata all'uva - Focaccia with grapes  (Read 12141 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Schiacciata all'uva - Focaccia with grapes
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
RamirOk,

I forgot to ask you before, but did you oil your pan before baking?

Thanks,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
RamirOk,

I was curious about the thickness factor you used with the recipe you posted. Can you tell me the total dough weight and/or the weights of the individual ingredients? That information will allow one to make the same focaccia but in different pan sizes.

Thanks.

Peter

I don't remember the total dough weight but here are the weights of the individual ingredients:

Flour:                            256 g
Whole wheat flour:           64 g
Water:                          221 g
IDY:                            2.21 g
Salt:                       3.16 g
Olive Oil:                         7.89 g

I'll be waiting for your results to know what TF I use.

RamirOk,

I forgot to ask you before, but did you oil your pan before baking?

Thanks,

Norma

Yes I just brush a little on the corners and made an X in the middle.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:54:18 PM by RamirOk »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 07:36:05 AM »

Yes I just brush a little on the corners and made an X in the middle.

RamirOk,

Thanks so much!  :)  If I find time I want to try your Focaccia with grapes this weekend!

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »
I don't remember the total dough weight but here are the weights of the individual ingredients:

Flour:                            256 g
Whole wheat flour:           64 g
Water:                          221 g
IDY:                            2.21 g
Salt:                       3.16 g
Olive Oil:                         7.89 g

I'll be waiting for your results to know what TF I use.

RamirOk,

Thank you very much for the information on the quantities of ingredients you used. I took the liberty of manipulating the numbers to be able to use them in the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html. The resulting dough formulation looks like this:

San Blas AP/La Perla WW Flour Blend*(100%):
Water (69.0625%):
IDY (0.69063%):
Salt (0.9875%):
Olive Oil (2.46563%):
Total (173.20626%):
320 g  |  11.29 oz | 0.71 lbs
221 g  |  7.8 oz | 0.49 lbs
2.21 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
3.16 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.57 tsp | 0.19 tbsp
7.89 g | 0.28 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.75 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
554.26 g | 19.55 oz | 1.22 lbs | TF = N/A
*The San Blas AP/La Perla WW Flour Blend comprises 256 grams (80% of the total blend) San Blas Mexican all-purpose flour and 64 grams (20% of the total) Mexican whole wheat flour (Integral)

For your 12" x 12" Lloyd/PizzaTools Sicilian style pan, the thickness factor is 19.55/(12 x 12) = 0.13577. That is the number that one would use with the Rectangular option in the expanded dough calculating tool for a different size pan. The results might be slightly different if the pan is straight-sided or the slope of the sides of the pan is different than the Lloyd/PizzaTools pan. However, those differences shouldn't materially affect the results. Of course, with a different size pan, it will be necessary to adjust the amounts of the all-purpose and whole wheat flours to retain the 80/20 split. For those who do not have a rectangular/square pan but would like to try your recipe in a round pan, it is possible to use the above thickness factor with the Round option in the expanded dough calculating tool. But, whether the shape is rectangular/square or round, some adjustment to your particular bake time and temperature may be needed for sizes and shapes other than what you used .

For those who might use U.S. flours, the results might also be somewhat different because because both of the Mexican flours contain added ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and both contain benzyol peroxide, which is a food additive that bleaches the flours. Also, the La Perla whole wheat flour contains azodicarbonamide. Azodicarbonamide is an additive that is used as a substitute for bromates (for more detail, see http://www.garudaint.com/product.php?id=86). In terms of protein content, the San Blas all-purpose flour has a nominal protein content of 11.5% (a bit less than the 11.7% protein content of the U.S. King Arthur all-purpose flour) and the La Perla whole wheat flour has a nominal protein content of 14% (the King Arthur whole wheat flour--the regular, not the white whole wheat flour--has a protein content of 14.2%).

Peter
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:33:09 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
Pete, here's the recipe from the Master Chef Australia show
420g flour
285g cool water
10g yeast (they used cake yeast)
10g salt
1 T evoo
if I remember correctly, they just spread it out on parchment in a generally rectangular shape (don't have measurements), and cooked it at 415 degrees for 15 minutes, directly on the oven floor.

Dave,

Thank you very much for the dough formulation. Using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, this is what the dough formulation you posted looks like:

Flour (100%):
Water (67.857%):
CY (2.381%):
Salt (2.381%):
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (3.2143%):
Total (175.8333%):
420 g  |  14.81 oz | 0.93 lbs
285 g  |  10.05 oz | 0.63 lbs
10 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs |
10 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.79 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
13.5 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3 tsp | 1 tbsp
738.5 g | 26.05 oz | 1.63 lbs | TF = N/A

Obviously, if the focaccia is made in free form, it is hard to know over what area to spread the dough. However, if we use the same thickness factor as I calculated for RamirOk's dough formulation (0.13577), the area over which to spread the dough would be 26.05/0.13577 = 191.87 square inches. Obviously, there are endless combinations of width times length that would be equal to about 192 square inches. But, for the above example, a 12" x 16" pan such as shown at the Lloyd Pans website at http://www.lloydpans.com/ProductDetail/H76F-16X12X2-PSTK_1525x1125x2-76-1625x1225-Top-Pstk-Nesting-Pan-0, with a surface area of 192 square inches (12 x 16 = 192), should be just about perfect. Alternatively, one can use RamirOk's thickness factor with the above baker's percents and the Rectangular option in the expanded dough calculating tool to scale the recipe to just about any pan size (round sizes are also possible). Of course, some adjustments may have to be made to bake temperature and time for larger or smaller focaccias.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
I made this last night, not the exact measurements, but I was in the ball park. At least in my oven, I found that I needed more heat then the 415 suggested. Next time I make it I'll probably go with 475-500 degrees. I like my dough a bit crispy. Also, I did a sourdough, Next time I'd go with just a standard yeast dough.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »
I used RamirOk’s formulation to make the Schiacciata all’uva.  I didn’t have the brands of flours that RamirOk uses so I used the Mondako flour as the main flour and semolina durum flour as the whole wheat flour.  I also changed the sea salt to kosher salt. My dough was only cold fermented since Friday, then was left out at room temperature to ferment more today, and also more fermenting of the dough while letting it proof in the pan two more times at room temperature.  I replaced the brown sugar with raw sugar as a topping.  I used 25 grams of raw sugar for the 12”x12” Schiacciata all’uva for the one topping.

I decided to bake at the hottest temperature my oven would get to (a little over 500 degrees F) for the first part of the bake, or until I thought the crust was set.  When I thought it had baked enough at the higher temperature I lowered the oven temperature to 475 degrees F.  The Schiacciata all’uva was baked on the second rack from the top of the oven, and when I saw the crust beginning to brown faster than the bottom, I moved the steel pan to the bottom rack of my home oven.  The total bake time was 14 minutes.

Thanks RamirOk for posting about Schiacciata all’uva!  :) I would never have thought of trying this type of focaccia if you wouldn’t have posted about it.  You were right that the sweet explosion of the grapes with the sugar and fresh rosemary is a treat.  The raw sugar I used gave the top crust a nice touch.  It was just a little crunchy.  The slices of focaccia had a very light crumb. 

These are the pictures of the process I used and the final focaccia.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »
Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
Nice job Norma. I made it  a couple of days ago, however mine was a sourdough. Next time I do it I will use yeast dough and possibly substitute cherries for the grapes.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »
Nice job Norma. I made it  a couple of days ago, however mine was a sourdough. Next time I do it I will use yeast dough and possibly substitute cherries for the grapes.

Thanks dmcavanagh!  I saw your reply at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16883.msg165367.html#msg165367 that you used a sourdough.  I would have like to tried a sourdough, but mine isn’t up to speed right now.  Cherries sound like they would be great to replace the grapes.

Norma

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
Looks amazing Norma, very tasty. I'm very happy to have contributed a little in this wonderful site.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
Looks amazing Norma, very tasty. I'm very happy to have contributed a little in this wonderful site.

RamirOk,

Thanks for saying the focaccia looks amazing and tasty.  I never would have thought to try this, without your post.  I saw how amazing your Schiacciata all’uva looked and thought I had to try it.  You also gave me the other helpful hint on how to oil my pan.

I hope you keep contributing to the forum.  :)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
Next time I make this and there will be a next time, I will up the hydration by 10% and change the baking method a bit, but for not having made focaccia in quite some time it was good, but a little dry. One thing I do different is oven roast the grapes first to concentrate the flavor. Mucho gracias RamirOK.
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »
Don,

What kinds and brands of Mexican flours did you use? And did you use the same thickness factor as RamirOk used but with a different size and shape?

Thanks.

Peter

pizzapan