Author Topic: 00 Molino di Borgo San Dalmazzo, Napoli Style  (Read 2388 times)

Offline old_spaghetti

00 Molino di Borgo San Dalmazzo, Napoli Style
« on: December 23, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
Has anyone had experience with 00 Molino di Borgo San Dalmazzo, Napoli Style pizza flour?

Offline Prefessa

Re: 00 Molino di Borgo San Dalmazzo, Napoli Style
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
THE BEST 00 flour I have ever used! I like it better than Caputo! Very Nice! Do U have a source?? I have purchased this OTC from a mega Itallian food store in NJ, but you need to be careful because its useually a month or two from expiration.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:19:25 PM by Prefessa »

Offline old_spaghetti

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
I wish I could find a supplier.  I live in Eastern Washington state.   Somehow I did get a number for a distributor in Seattle, Merlino Foods.  I contacted them and they assured me that they sold it.  Made the trek across the mountains to pick some up and it ended up being Caputo flour, which I have 40 lbs.

Definitely would like to try the Molino flour.

Offline j6ppc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
This vendor on Amazon has it http://www.amazon.com/Farino-Grano-Tenero-Tipo-Bags/dp/B001L45ZL8/?tag=pizzamaking-20 No issues with receiving stale flour in my case although one reviewer stated they had received some. Amazon prime eligible as well so free 2 day shipping.

It is my go to flour, go through about 1kg each week ( 1 bag flour 60% hydration, 2% salt, 100 gr levain). It makes excellent baguette as well.

Jon

Offline old_spaghetti

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »
Thanks Jon,  I'll give it a try.  I have been going 66% hydration with the Caputo.  Did you notice the protein content on the package?

Offline j6ppc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Thanks Jon,  I'll give it a try.  I have been going 66% hydration with the Caputo.  Did you notice the protein content on the package?

I could not find that information on their http://www.molino-borgo.com/ site; I'll have a look at a bag when I get home tonight. Subjectively It feels to me that this four has less protein than the caputo red bag does- the dough is less thirsty and I'd be reluctant to go much over 60% with this flour.

--edit
I found this in the comment thread at: http://brickovenbaker.com/2011/04/faq-whats-the-difference-between-the-caputo-flours/

To me the “Perfect” flour for Pizza, Focaccia, and Pasta was a brand called Molino di Borgo San Dalmazzo, Napoli Style. I finally viewed the Spec Sheet and it is a W280-310, which is right on the bitter edge of a medium and strong flour, with a P/L of ~0.5 its so easy to stretch as thin as a credit card. They list this on their website as a blend of Grana Tenero and Farina Manitoba. I can age this dough up to 4 days with great results, after 6 or more days the fermentation chews up the gluten and the dough tears a bit, after 7 days its unuseable. The specs suggest it to be nearly identical to the Caputo Rinforzato which is W280-320, however the P/L value is a tad higher @ 0.55 so this dough will likely be a bit less extensible and may shrink back, but I have no experience with the product so I don’t really know if the 0.05 difference is significant.

--2nd edit I don't see any protein/ash info on the bags - compared to the caputo @ the same hydration this one never forms a ball (the caputo does); this flour is more batterlike in the mixer but becomes quite compliant after a few folds during bulk fermentation.

I look forward to hearing your results.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:17:22 PM by j6ppc »

pizzapan