Author Topic: Pizza in teglia  (Read 25102 times)

Offline Corbs

Re: Pizza in teglia
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »
I always thought it meant "pizza by the yard": a huge pan-cooked pizza that is cut and sold by whatever measurement they use "over there".
That is 'pizza al metro' - pizza by the metre. I believe that 'pizza al taglia' is pizza by the slice.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
That is 'pizza al metro' - pizza by the metre. I believe that 'pizza al taglia' is pizza by the slice.

Pizza in TEGLIA: Pizza in a square pan

Pizza al Metro: Pizza by the meter

Pizza al Taglio: Pizza by the cut or so call slice... It is basically the way pizza in teglia is sold, as you tell the vendor, by pointing, how much to cut, the cut/slice is then weighted and depending on the topping, it will have a different price by weight.

Offline Corbs

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 09:25:29 AM »
Pizza in TEGLIA: Pizza in a square pan

Pizza al Metro: Pizza by the meter

Pizza al Taglio: Pizza by the cut or so call slice... It is basically the way pizza in teglia is sold, as you tell the vendor, by pointing, how much to cut, the cut/slice is then weighted and depending on the topping, it will have a different price by weight.
Ah thanks, I thought originally it was Taglio for by the slice. I remember having a whole one of the pizzas at an al taglio place in italy. mmmmm.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
No, these are baked in a professional elettric oven.

I gave the recipe in the previous sicilian thread: the differences are in the 1.3kg flour (85% Caputo Red and 15% Semolina) per liter of water, and also that the dough doesn't go in the refrigerator but it is left in a cellar at about 18 degree celsius.

The poolish, oil and the rest is the same.

Ciao

I tried looking for this recipe but couldn't find it.  Anyone know where it is?

Thanks,
Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 08:22:04 AM »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »
Matt,  on and off I have been messing around with marcos recipie for sicilian,  and had some really good results the other night.  Also,  I was able to hand knead it and came out with a great result.  I do think marco is right about using durum wheat flour,  but not semolina.  I tried semolina a couple times and its just not the right size grind to acieve a nice result.  Check these pictures out from the other night.  The texture of the crust was great,  and i think if I give it a bit more time,  I can get it a bit more open and even lighter. -marc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »
Matt,  on and off I have been messing around with marcos recipie for sicilian,  and had some really good results the other night.  Also,  I was able to hand knead it and came out with a great result.  I do think marco is right about using durum wheat flour,  but not semolina.  I tried semolina a couple times and its just not the right size grind to acieve a nice result.  Check these pictures out from the other night.  The texture of the crust was great,  and i think if I give it a bit more time,  I can get it a bit more open and even lighter. -marc

The Sicilian pizza you and Matt having been working on sure looks great!  :) 
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 07:24:19 AM »

Bravo Marc!  I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.  I think that the DLX will do a really good job with this dough.  Was it difficult to hand knead?  Did you stretch it out before placing it on the pan or did you press it out right on the pan?  I'm going to Rome & Florence in a couple of months & can't wait to try the pizza in teglia in Rome.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 07:32:36 AM »
I do think marco is right about using durum wheat flour,  but not semolina.  I tried semolina a couple times and its just not the right size grind to acieve a nice result. 

I picked up a bag of this yesterday to use, if it turns out well I'll pick up a case from the distributor.  It's specifically milled for bread, focaccia, & pasta.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:34:44 AM by Matthew »

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 08:43:42 AM »
Matt,  I think you are right about the DLX working well with this type of dough.  I have knocked the hydration down to 70 percent,  and incorporated the olive oil during the hand knead so it was not that bad at all.  Aslo,  I did not do the overnigt fridde method.  I started it in the morning, as a poolish,  and ate it the same night.  I did not stetch it that much  before panning,  just used a fair amount of oil,  and time then let it rise before baking at 500 on my stone.  Let us know how yours turns out.  -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 09:07:20 AM »
Matt,  I think you are right about the DLX working well with this type of dough.  I have knocked the hydration down to 70 percent,  and incorporated the olive oil during the hand knead so it was not that bad at all.  Aslo,  I did not do the overnigt fridde method.  I started it in the morning, as a poolish,  and ate it the same night.  I did not stetch it that much  before panning,  just used a fair amount of oil,  and time then let it rise before baking at 500 on my stone.  Let us know how yours turns out.  -marc

Marc,

How much dough did you use in your 1/2 sheet pan?  I find that spreading the dough in an well oiled pan causes the dough to retract/slide.  The solution that I found works best is to pin the dough over all 4 corners.  Lately I have been pressing it out first & then restretching in the pan.  I think that I may give the roman style a shot.  Marco recommends doing an overnight fermentation for the poolish @ 18 degrees which is the exact ambient temperature of my sauna this time of year.  I might as well take advantage of it.

Matt

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
Matt,

Would this be it: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1073.msg9752/topicseen.html#msg9752 ?

Peter

I took the liberty of converting the formula to baker's percentages for all that are interested. 

Flour (100%):                 1105 g Caputo Red or Strong Bakers Flour & 195 g Semolina di grano duro rimacinata
Water (76.9231%):    1000 g  |  35.27 oz | 2.2 lbs
IDY (.7%):                  9.1 g | 0.32 oz | 0.02 lbs | 3.02 tsp | 1.01 tbsp
Salt (2.5%):                  32.5 g | 1.15 oz | 0.07 lbs | 9.56 tsp | 3.19 tbsp
Oil (5%):                  65 g | 2.29 oz | 0.14 lbs | 4.81 tbsp | 0.3 cups
Total (185.1231%):   2406.6 g | 84.89 oz | 5.31 lbs | TF = N/A

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
Widespread...I think you have hit a MAJOR home run with your pizza.  If it tastes half as good as it looks you will have a hard time keeping up with family/friends orders :-D  Would you share your adjustments to the original formula as well as the steps involved..both forming and cooking... ???  Thanks much...

Matthew...Thanks for the baker's percentage breakdown...I hope you post pictures of your "finished product".  I am anxious to see the end results based on this formula... :D

Buffalo

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
Buffalo,  basicly heres what I did for the dough.

Flour (100% FINE DURUM WHEAT FLOUR):512g
Water (70%):358g
CY (.50%):rounded to 3g
Salt (1.5%):8g
Oil (5%):25g
total.  907g/32oz this is what I have been using in my 16x16x1 square pans.

poolish 9 am room temp.

I used a one large plastic bowl for mixing the whole way through,  along with the danish dough whisk/hook from fg pizza.  that tool is awesome for many many tasks.
all water 100%
50% of the durum wheat flour
2 grams of the yeast
let ferment for 6 hours or so.,  or until nice and active.  this could possibly be done overnight?

Then in same large bowl,  mix in other half of flour, salt and remainder of yeast till all was moist.  Let rest covered for a bit to fully absorb water,  15 min?  then in 10 minute intervals,  incorporate the evoo.  This is what enabled the hand kneading.  Dump a little oil on top of dough,  and sort of fold it in.  I have been working with a book called the handmade loaf and really this is where I have picked up this approach. repeat 4 times until all oil is incorporated,  form a ball as best as possible and let rise for an hour or so or until doubleish.   Then oil pan with a fair amount of evoo,  keep in the middle only start spreading the dough out,  trying not to deflate as much as possible.  When doing this again take breaks to let the gluten relax.  Matt,  this flour seems to have less of a tendecy to snap back.  Once almost or fully spread,  drizzle with oil on top and brush in to keep the dough moist while rising.  Place on oven and preheat to 500 for an hour or so or until you see the thickness of the dough double or more.  Place on stone for 8 mins or so.  Remove,  top as desired and throw it back in until it looks right,  for me total bake time was about 15 mins.  I hope this helps and if you give it a shot let me know how it works out.  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
Cant you just top and put it into the oven for the whole time instead of baking it for 5 minutes then taking it out topping and putting it back in the oven to finish?

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
BSO,  I would say that depends on a lot of factors,  but,  I would never want to expose my cheese to 15-20 minutes of 500 degree heat.  Also,  having the crust un topped results in an easier better spring.  Trust me, I would rather make it all at once.  -marc 

Offline Matthew

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »
I made this today using Marco's formula in reply 3.
1/2 with San Marzano tomatoes, oregano, artichokes, buffalo mozzarella & romano cheese & the other half with potatoes,mozzarella,oregano & seal salt.

Matt
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:01:59 PM by Matthew »

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 06:43:58 PM »
Matt,  nice work!  I am having trouble figuring out which recipie you mean.  Rely # 3 where.  Is this a 15/85 or 100% semolina?  either way it looks great.  -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »
Matt,  nice work!  I am having trouble figuring out which recipie you mean.  Rely # 3 where.  Is this a 15/85 or 100% semolina?  either way it looks great.  -marc

Thanks Marc, it was the 15/85.  Next time I'll try the 100% semola.  What I found interesting was that the side with the sauce had alot less oven spring than the side without.  Maybe next time I will parbake it prior to putting the sauce on like I did with the potato side.

Matt
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:05:35 PM by Matthew »