Author Topic: Pizza in teglia  (Read 25614 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Pizza in teglia
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
marc, matt, good looking pizzas!! i am going to try this using semolina flour .
  marc, how did you do your tomato sauce is it crushed unseasoned with fresh basil ?
  matt, what is the seasoning used for the potatoes ? can you give me the procedure [par-cooked or raw].
  my family will not eat my Neapolitan, they don't appreciate it. the two pizzas above will not last with my foodaholic family.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
Zaman,  thanks they sure are getting better.  Yes on this pizza I just used crushed plum tomatoes,  a little salt and lots of basil,  some duing the last half of baking,  and again after taking the pizza out.  Sorry to hear the family doesn't appreciate your neapolitan efforts,  they sure look good to me.  Simplicity is aquired taste,  maybe they will come around?  I am sure you could do some more NY stlye pies on your wfo at a lower temp too.  -marc

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »
mac, my wife is a dietitian and she is very salt sensitive the Neapolitan dough with the high salt content is hard for her to handle. i am now doing it at 2% salt .   i just picked up the handmade loaf off of amazon ,last one in stock!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »
Zaman,   thats right I forgot about the salt thing.  That makes sense.   I try not to exceed 2-2.5%  and thats a pretty high amount of salt if one plans to eat the whole pizza,  like I usually do.  Ita a once a week thing for me.  -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 07:20:55 AM »

matt, what is the seasoning used for the potatoes ? can you give me the procedure [par-cooked or raw].

Hi Larry,
They were precooked & then cubed.  Seasoning was salt, pepper, oregano, & then topped with cheese. 

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 09:09:33 AM »
marc, matt, you got me on this one , not very pretty, didn't get the oven spring, but it tasted great! good dough recipe .

Offline Matthew

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:23 AM »
marc, matt, you got me on this one , not very pretty, didn't get the oven spring, but it tasted great! good dough recipe .

It's a super tough dough to work with.  You likely didn't get the spring because of the sauce.  Try par baking the crust for about 10 minutes before adding the toppings, especially the cheese.  I'm going to make it again on the weekend.

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 10:40:15 AM »
it is very tender ,hard to remove from the pan. do you think a little bread flour would give it more structure?

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »
Are any of you using the king midas flour for this? If so, is the extra fancy one the finer one that's better suited for this?

http://www.conagramills.com/our_products/durum_flour.jsp

I ask because these are the only semolina/durum flours available through dutch valley.
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Matthew

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
it is very tender ,hard to remove from the pan. do you think a little bread flour would give it more structure?

I used 85% bread flour & 15% semola.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
I just made up a spreadsheet that calculates the quantity of ingredients required for the poolish & the next day based on the information provided by Marco.  It also calculates the amount of semola & bread flour required based on his 40/60 recommendation.  All you need to do is plug in the numbers that you get from the Dough Calculating Tool in the "Required" section in the upper portion  & the spreadsheet will take care of the rest.  If anyone is interested just PM me with your email address & I will send it to you. 

It is in Excel format & looks like this:

Pizza in Teglia Spreadsheet: (grams)            

Bakers %            Required    Semola   Bread Flour

Flour    100%      
Water    75%      
IDY   0.7%      
Salt   2.5%      
EVOO   5%         

Total   183.2%   0.0      

Poolish:   
Flour   0.0
Water   0.0
IDY   0.0
Total   0.0

Next Day:   
Flour   0.0
Water   0.0
IDY   0.0
Salt   0.0
EVOO   0.0
Total   0

Formula Total
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:02:34 PM by Matthew »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2010, 08:36:12 PM »

Larry,
I made 2 more today using 40% semola & 60% bread flour as recommended by Marco & put the poolish in the fridge as oppose to the cold cellar.  The end result was fantastic, the best to date by far, everyone loved it! 

Matt

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »
@Matthew,

Did that Semola turn out to be "fancy durum flour", or was it semolina?

Thanks.
Dwight

Offline Matthew

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
@Matthew,

Did that Semola turn out to be "fancy durum flour", or was it semolina?

Thanks.

It's not semolina & I don't know what fancy durum flour is.  To me it's just semola. 

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 10:09:02 AM »
It's not semolina & I don't know what fancy durum flour is.  To me it's just semola. 

Thanks.
Dwight